Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FYI for Anova WiFi users

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FYI for Anova WiFi users

Just passing on the email I received from Anova today for those of you who use the WiFi app with your Anova:

Here's what happened with user accounts . . .

We recently released a new version of our app. To use this new version, you must set up a user account by entering and verifying your email address and a password.

Why the change? Voice control. You can use your Anova with Google Voiceand in the near future, Anova will be a skill within the Amazon Echo skill ecosystem. Users can only use Amazon Echo and Google Voice integration if they have a user account, so we implemented user accounts for all app users.

Our mistake - we made user accounts mandatory. After rolling out our latest app update, it became apparent that this mandatory requirement is unfair. We're sorry. We just dumped a requirement on our community without giving you a choice.
    Here's what we're doing about it . . .

We're working on an app update, which we hope to have available within the next two weeks, where user accounts will be optional and less burdensome. You'll be able to access recipes and control your cooker via Bluetooth without having a user account in place.

However, if you have a Wi-Fi device, you'll still need to have a user account in place for remote cooking. We're sorry to have to impose this requirement on Wi-Fi users, but we're implementing new security features that will rely on user accounts.

Thanks again for your support and understanding.

Sincerely,

Stephen Svajian
    Chief Executive Officer
    Last edited by tbob4; April 16, 2017, 06:30 PM.

I had wondered about that. Thanks for the post. 😎

Comment

We all goin' to Heaven - where the Cloud be!

Comment

Thanks for letting us know. Good info for when I next use it (it's been a while).

Comment

I always thought their app stunk anyways. Why not just get your wifi app to do normal basic things consistently before implementing this fancy stuff?

Comment

W.A. I got mine in the first batch. So I was in the beta stage and I was giving my feedback. I encountered a few problems but they seemed to resolve. I found that I really didn't use the WiFi that often. It's nice to have both options. I will say they have been good about letting me know when things go wrong. This email was a good example. I would have been flustered if I had used the app and found it wasn't working with no warning.

Comment

Ugh, I saw the update and immediately hated it. Why do I need a damn account just to control a cooker? Obviously they want the cash from tracking what people cook and how. Damn damn damn really regretting my Anova purchase now. Who the hell cares about voice control! Nobody was demanding it. It's just the obsession with adding features for their own sake that is such a disease among software developers.

Comment

• Lowjiber
                Lowjiber commented
                Editing a comment
                Nobody says you have to use it, or have an account. I bought the Wifi version because it has 100W more power than the standard one. I never use the Wifi anyway.

• Richard P
                Richard P commented
                Editing a comment
                If they implement security then this is definitely a plus thing and maybe they will fix problems with app in the updates. hate to see some else controlling my cooks.

• Lost in China
                Lost in China commented
                Editing a comment
                I actually find the wifi quite useful for keeping an eye on the cook without going into the kitchen. I also once used it to start the food cooking so it would be ready when I got home from work. This 'account' garbage is a pure money grab from selling the data.

I'm not using the wifi capabilities now. Played with it a bit when I first got it, but really I see very little need. The most I expect it would be good for is to turn it on before leaving from work, so to have it at temp and ready when I get home. Can hardly imagine wanting voice control for that, or needing an account.

Comment

• tbob4
                tbob4 commented
                Editing a comment
                I'm waiting for the Anova with music, a watch and Netflix. It will pause the movie when the food is done and will alert the Roomba when it senses too much dust.

I've been happy for 6 or 7 years with the manual controls on the polyscience. I mean, it's not something you need to change a lot once you figure out how you want to do it. That's why I recommend the Anova without the extra electronics (at an awesome sales price now and then). The power is an issue, I suppose.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here