Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sous Vide Beans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sous Vide Beans

My first Post so don't be too hard on me!

Sometimes, I cook beans Sous Vide depending on how many chores I have for the day.

Here is the recipe:
    Beans 100% 227 g (1/2#)
    Ham 50% (4 oz) of beans
    Water 245% 556 g
    Salt 1% of H2O weight 5.56 g
    Baking Soda 0.5% of H2O weight 2.78 g

Sous Vide Temp 190 degrees F

Cook Time 5 hours

Baking Soda adds to pectin breakdown as well more Sodium plus higher pH to neutralize the acidity of the bean pH.

I want to reference:
    Beans are a cheap, easy, flexible source of protein, and there are a million things you can do with them once you understand these basic concepts.

Looking for the perfect side dish for your next cookout? Nothing screams BBQ more than a sticky and smoky bowl of Boston baked beans. It was in Beantown that the notion of mixing dried beans with molasses was conceived. This flavorful recipe is an ode to the original while offering suggestions for amping them up.

I wanted crack free beans for the Baked Bean recipe for presentation but how does this all work? I used ion exchange for the experiment as I worked the recipe out to soften the water and the bean hull. Calcium and Magnesium each have two positive ions and sodium has one positive ion. The extra Sodium ion beats off the minerals in the bean hull.

A Chef asked Kenji at Serious Eats why I was adding Baking Soda (sodium bicarbonate)? Kenji's response was I was going after the pectin in the bean hull.

Chris

Welcome to the Pit cklindt .. Nice of you to join us . I like your scientific approach to cooking.. After all cooking is science? Right?

Comment

Welcome!!

I have understood that adding baking soda during the soak, relieves some of the issues with beans causing gas. Am not sure of all the science and tech terms though. I prefer the texture more without the soda in the soak.

I've never tried actually cooking them with the baking soda though, or Sous Vide. Been considering a the Sous Vide cook though, as it seems it may be easier to do in smaller portions, in jars, than I typically would in a crock pot.

Maybe I'll try it both ways now.

Thanks for the post, and keep them coming!!

Comment

Welcome to The Pit Chris.

Comment

cklindt Welcome Chris!
          Cool Beans!!!!

Comment

Welcome to the Pit! In addition to beans, it looks like you might be a bit of a baker, too. Your bean recipe is awfully close to being expressed as Baker's % ... except for the salt and soda.

Comment

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              What else would you expect from a food scientist? ;-)

• MBMorgan
              MBMorgan commented
              Editing a comment
              EdF - Nothing less!

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              I prefer measuring by weight (when it matters). My wife picked it up from baking, like you say!

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here