Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Second sous vide cook.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Second sous vide cook.

Neither rain nor sleet nor snow nor gloom of night shall stay these grillers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds! Decided to try the Anova again today. I did three steaks sous vide: one choice strip steak, one choice top sirloin, and a select ribeye. The strip and ribeye were done frozen to sous vide, 131 degrees for 75 minutes, with butter and Montreal steak seasoning. Top sirloin 131 for 1 hour with Marcum steak seasoning. All three were shocked in ice water, then seared on the kettle/SnS combo. Our overall top pick was the strip steak. I'm not sure if this was fair, because the strip steak was the thickest one. The ribeye was mush. I am not surprised; I am not a big ribeye fan. Sirloin came in second. I am still not sure if I totally liked the sous vide thing. So far it seems like what I have cooked has been mushier than usual, except that strip steak. One plus is that my wife loves the sous vide then seared steaks, and she is not a steak person! I also did some asparagus at 185 for 12 minutes, then brushed with oil and crisped up on the grill. Now THAT I really liked. Overall, I declare this cook a success. 😎
    Attached Files

Nice job with practice comes perfection, keep trying on the ribeyes and send them my way will give you a weekly grade

Comment

customtrim I will try to arrange that! 😁

Comment

I forget if your first rib-eye went from frozen to water. If it was, try doing one that has not been frozen and see if it works out better. Even if it wasn't to your satisfaction, your photos make it look really good.

Comment

Great pics, Thunder!!

I am still playing with SV. I did a few ribeye caps tonight. They were very good. But still not as good as a steak grilled the whole way. But it's still a fun way to cook things.

Comment

• TheCountofQ
            TheCountofQ commented
            Editing a comment
            Spinaker, I've read quite a few post in them here. I'll probably try it at some point. Am thinking it'll probably be a "well below freezing outside" type of thing if I ever do. They are just so easy on the HB otherwise.

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            I wanna try one of those Hasty Bakes. Really bad. They are great looking machines. TheCountofQ

• TheCountofQ
            TheCountofQ commented
            Editing a comment
            Spinaker, I've been keeping my eye on Craigslist, and good deals often come around. Got the one I have now there. A $2000 model, for $6-700, I don't remember exactly, been a while ago. Also join the HB community on Facebook. Seen some great deals from members there.

Sorry to hear about that Rib Eye. I haven't done one of those SV yet myself. I'll take a hint from you and keep it to a bit shorter time, when I do. I woulda thought being select grade, it might want a lil' extra time, but then again ...there's not much connective tissue to break down either way with that one. Just less intramuscular fat, I think. Looks Great!!

Comment

Looking back at this cook, I think I will continue to do the NY strip sous vide. I really think I got a good result with that one. I skipped the front sear on this one, and I think that it worked better for me. I still need to work on sear times, since this took a bit longer than I expected to get warm in the middle.

Comment

Liked your assessing pose in that first pic, Thunder77 - a man of taste and distinction!

Comment

• Thunder77
                Thunder77 commented
                Editing a comment
                EdF, I thank you sir!

What is that white stuff everywhere????

FWIW, I haven't ever done a front sear. I go straight from SV at 129°F to a screaming hot GrillGrate on my Weber gasser. Magnifico! (I do ribeyes for me and filets for the missus.)

Comment

• Thunder77
                Thunder77 commented
                Editing a comment
                Willy, so you don't do the cold shock? I think I shocked mine TOO cold.

• Willy
                Willy commented
                Editing a comment
                Thunder77 I've never done the cold shock. I can't see what it gains you. Straight out of SV, maybe season, then 30-45 seconds per side on screaming hot GGs or CI. YMMV.

We've tried SV-Q steaks a number of times and found that the Clint Cantwell method of SV-Chill-Smoke-Sear (http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_tech...big-chill.html) produced the best tasting steaks. Also, on the rib-eye, reducing the SV time to 1 hour may help with the texture. Strips and sirloins we've done at 1.5hrs with good results, but our rib-eyes we did for an hour and they were excellent.

Comment

• Thunder77
                Thunder77 commented
                Editing a comment
                T-bone, I went with 75 minutes, on Chefsteps recommendation, since it started frozen.

• T-bone
                T-bone commented
                Editing a comment
                Thunder77 I got distracted by the great pictures and missed the part where it started frozen. The 75 minutes should have been good and should not have caused mushiness. Obviously, time for more data points!

Thunder77 steak can kinda be a bad metric to see what sous vide can do. If you're a member of this site you probably already cook a mean steak. Have you tried 140-5 chicken breast? Boneless, skin on whatever... skin on a gentle trip into a quarter inch of oil at 400, (no smoke) cool down, a cold plate makes it quick. Then salt both sides put it in the bath at 140-50, I split it at 145, take out and re-sear the skin or top in the oil (you could go all sear at end but it helps to pre sear the skin). Something that can't really be achieved any other way (safely at least). Chicken breast almost justifies the cost of the circulator. Personally I don't like legs and thighs much sous vide. Unless your cooking for insurance to make fried chicken, but they are still good. The trouble with dark meat is getting people to accept the appearance, pretty pinkish. But breasts will knock you over...

Comment

• Thunder77
                Thunder77 commented
                Editing a comment
                I will definitely put them on the list to try! How long do you cook the chicken breast?

At least an hour, Kenji's guide is 1-4. You can go lower 131 but it's a strange texture, slimy. I recommend 145, salt both sides. Even if it's boneless skinless, easiest, it will turn out something different than you can usually do. Really good for chicken salad. To get the most out of a circulator it's all about things you can't do otherwise. Not to sound redundant but trying to improve steak to amazingribs members is a tough sell. For someone with no experience a sous vide steak is magic. For an pit member, it's like the sous vide chuck then smoke recipe, probably not quite as good. But to someone off the street a incredible. Chicken breast is the shortest path to seeing what your new cooking method can do. I love leg quarters, thighs, wings, on the grill. The only way I ever really enjoyed breasts was doing Kenji's 150 temp then hold eight minutes. 160-5 is just too high for chicken breast. Sous vide makes it much easier. Lower, slower, safely.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here