Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Anova Cook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, if you are going to take them to 155 IT and then sear them they certainly will be well done for her. I just hope you can chew them when you are done. LOL! Sounds like a really good experiment and if it works I just may have spent 200 bucks needlessly, although setting the Joule for a certain temp and walking away and forgetting it until the time is up really is an easy way to go so I am glad I spent the 200.

Comment

I'm not a big fan of the pre searing, and I haven't really noticed a big impact on seasoning in the bag except maybe salt. Definitely season well before and during the sear. I found sirloins need a good 2 hours at 134 (I like them med - med rare) in the SV to get the sirloin toughness out. Super dry is a must for me at least to get a good sear if using a cast iron pan, which I heat close to 600 and add some butter and garlic on the last flip. Click image for larger version

Name:	20170128_173900.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	188.2 KB
ID:	288354

Comment

• vandy
        vandy commented
        Editing a comment
        Man that is a great looking steak there Mikey!

I haven't tried the pre-sear, so can't say anything. But I have pre-smoked a bunch of butts, and that worked well. Just sear them once you get them out of the bags.

Comment

Originally posted by vandy View Post
        Yeah, if you are going to take them to 155 IT and then sear them they certainly will be well done for her. I just hope you can chew them when you are done. LOL! Sounds like a really good experiment and if it works I just may have spent 200 bucks needlessly, although setting the Joule for a certain temp and walking away and forgetting it until the time is up really is an easy way to go so I am glad I spent the 200.
        115, not 155! my bad

Comment

• vandy
          vandy commented
          Editing a comment
          That certainly makes more sense! That is the temp I take them to before the sear.

So, update on the redneck method- Dismal failure! Not sure if it was the cooler cooker (the temp read was steady at 131f but funny thing was that when I opened the lid to ad water the temp read 140, but when I closed it it immediately went back to 131f. using the Maverick et-733.) the smoker, (took the meat up to 115 with the smoker at 225) or the fact that I had to hold the meat under glass until my wife got home 1 hr. after pulling the meat off the smoker.) or the meat, (choice sirloin, 1" thick). I seared it in avocado oil at screaming hot on a cast iron frying pan 20-30 seconds per side until I got a nice sear on both sides.

The meat was still a little tough but was more of a medium- medium well. The flavor was nothing special even though I did use EVOO, salt and crushed garlic in the sous vide, then dry brined it with kosher salt in the fridge for 2 hrs before smoking on apple wood and Weber briquettes.

I'll hold my opinion on the whole sous vide process until I can do it properly with a real sous vide instrument, But the redneck method was less than pleasing considering all of the work that went into the process.

Comment

• Thunder77
          Thunder77 commented
          Editing a comment
          I did the redneck method with my pastrami cook. It worked out very well for me, but I was doing stovetop at 195 degrees. I have a small simmer burner on my stove that does the job neatly. If you have the money, I would go for the sous vide circulator.

Living in the Northeast, Sous Vide is for the winter months, proper grilling on the kettle is for the warmer months.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here