Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Should I Do First With my Anova?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Should I Do First With my Anova?

Total newbie to sous vide. Any suggestions as to what I should try first are greatly appreciated. I have some sirloin steaks, pork loin roast, tons of chicken, both whole and cut up, chuck roast, bottom round roast, pork picnic shoulder, etc. Oh, and some frozen cod filets. And I have baby back ribs, and a vacuum sealer.
    Last edited by Thunder77; March 6, 2017, 10:34 AM.

My first was a New York Strip.

Comment

I think I would do the chicken only because it is quick and an easy set up to learn. I messed up my first attempts with chicken breast. It turned out that I cooked them too long. Everyone's insistence here that it was the way to go had me give it another shot. Viola - really good. The last two times I put my usual rub on, cooked for an hour and threw them on the grill with my usual sauce. You will like the results.

Comment

I'd consider the pork loin roast, because it will be so much better. Do sear afterwards.

Comment

I would dry brine the chuck roast and put it in your vacuum sealed SV bag overnight in the fridge. Then I would would SV it to 165° for about 8 hours, then pull it and cold shock it in ice water. Then take it out of the SV bag, blot it dry, apply some beef love and your favorite rub, BBBR is good. Smoke it in your favorite smoker at 240° until you have the bark you want. About 4 or 5 hours. Then chow down on that soft tender smokey beef...😜
          Last edited by Breadhead; March 6, 2017, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Salmon is simple and amazing in sous vide. I havent tried cod yet.

Comment

• Breadhead
              Breadhead commented
              Editing a comment
              All fish is better SV style... cook SV to 135°. Remove it from the bag, blot it dry and sear it in a pan or brown it with a torch. All is good! Make some hollandaise sauce and enjoy. You can make the hollandaise sauce SV style too.

Thunder77, I Recieved My Joule before Thanksgiving 2016! I ordered It because of Meathead's Endorsement
            and the Low Introductory Price!
            It is Still New In the Box and Unused because I don't PARLEEE VOOO SIOUX VEEE DOOO❓
            Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

• Dr ROK
              Dr ROK commented
              Editing a comment
              You gotta get this corrected Danjohnston949. You won't regret it!

Ribeye is always a great way to go!

Comment

I'd say the sirloins for starters, then throw the some chicken breast in for a little snack later.

Comment

My first attempt was a sirloin steak. Used chefsteps recipe/procedure and absolutely loved it.

ChefSteps is here to make cooking more fun. Get recipes, tips, and videos that show the whys behind the hows for sous vide, grilling, baking, and more.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here