Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sous Vide Vision

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sous Vide Vision

So, last night I had a recurring dream of owning and operating a sous vide. I'm not sure what this means, or what Dr. Freud might think of it, but it seems to haunt me so. I'm not even sure what the hell I'd use it for!

Buy it. You'll figure out why after you own it.
    MCS baby.

Comment

If you yourself was being sous vide, I'd pass. Anyone have life insurance on you??

Comment

Dr. Freud would say that, unconsciously, you are afraid that your trolling motor or hot tub circulators are in need of repair.

I have an Anova and use it for all sorts of things. However, Dr. Freud would never say that if I had a dream about SV that it would represent the content of the dream.
        Last edited by tbob4; March 5, 2017, 01:11 PM.

Comment

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          I knew you'd come through with excellent analysis, Doctor.

I use mine for steaks, veggies and to reheat BBQ. I used it today for my pastrami. They are great to have. And fun to play with. You can make pretty much anything. They add a lot to your cooking experience. I have the Joule Circulator, it works very well , the app is easy to use and is loaded with content.

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, just get a cheap one. Anova without wifi when it goes on sale for $99 seems about right. I paid about 10x that for mine 6-7 years ago.

Originally posted by CaptainMike View Post
        I'm not even sure what the hell I'd use it for!
        Worst case: It would make a great foot bath ... or, like so many of us, you could use it as a really convenient replacement for the indirect portion of reverse searing.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Anova.jpeg
Views:	174
Size:	137.8 KB
ID:	284640
          I think this is what Freud would say your dream may have been.

Comment

• CaptainMike
            CaptainMike commented
            Editing a comment
            Hahahaha! Better yet, a tanker drop of retardant! I'm still cleaning that stuff out of my ears.

Yes, get one! We have an Anova version 1 and I'm haunting eBay to get another.

Comment

My wife is a therapist. Her response would be: "What do YOU think it means?"

I know. Drives me crazy too.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2915.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	333.4 KB
ID:	284958Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2919.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	193.0 KB
ID:	284959
              Yesterday's pastrami SV'd onto today's sandwiches. So much better than steaming. It will knock your socks off. Don't even worry about anything else. Leftovers alone are a good reason to buy one. Then on those cold Mt. Shasta nights when you have the hankering for BBQ but not quite the fortitude to brave the elements all day but still want to grill you can say "Oh, well, my second best is better than anyone else's best."

Comment

• CaptainMike
                CaptainMike commented
                Editing a comment
                I'm convinced by the pastrami. However, I have yet to find a night cold enough to keep me from my grills. I figure if those Midwest boys can soldier on in -0 temps then I can brave the cool Mt Shasta air.

CaptainMike hell yeah we can never to cold to cook. And a kamado doubles as a hand warmer

Comment

Making Eggs Benedict for a large crowd of family or friends becomes much, much easier...👌Steaks and veggies are cool too.

Attached Files

Comment

• Breadhead
                  Breadhead commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thank you CaptainMike ... no I didn't make it. It's a real handy work bench on casters. I use that surface to make bread on mostly. The rest of the bench is stainless steel. I bought it at Costco a while back.

• Breadhead
                  Breadhead commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I Grill asparagus too sometimes. I nuke it when I'm in a hurry too. However veggies SV style really are noticeably different and very tasty. You really ought to give it a try sometime. I like hollandaise sauce on my asparagus so I really can't tell the difference of the 3 methods much.🤔

• Atalanta
                  Atalanta commented
                  Editing a comment
                  We bake our "grass" in the oven - olive oil, salt, pepper, maybe some garlic powder. When we get it fresh and in season, it's good raw too.

Once you do a ribeye, you'll never look back.

Comment

• CaptainMike
                  CaptainMike commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That will likely be my first endeavor.

• Breadhead
                  Breadhead commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I've done many Ribeye's SV style. At 131°... time is your tenderizer. I've done 2" USDA Prime grade Ribeye's for 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 18, and 24 hours before. 24 hours is too long, meat got mushy. 2 to 4 hours is ok. 8 hours is more tender and better. 12 hours is my preference.👍

• Lowjiber
                  Lowjiber commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I do mine at 130 for two hours... then on a roaring Weber chimney for about 20 sec/side. Perfect med-rare for 1 3/4" steaks.

CaptainMike ... if you SV your 1 1/2" to 2" Ribeye's at 131° I suggest you sear them very, hot, hot, hot and fast. When you take them out of the SV bags... blot them dry and apply a generous amount of beef love on them. Once you have your grill to Warp 10 heat put them on for searing. The generous amount of beef love will ignite an open flames searing process, DO NOT panic! Searing in open flames with the beef love on it will give you a beautiful crust in about 1 minute per side. That hot, hot, hot quick sear will not raise the IT temperature of your meat as much as a slower sear at a lower temperature that takes twice as long... in my humble opinion.😎

Attached Files

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here