Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anova question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anova question.

Is the wifi version also Bluetooth, or is it a one or the other thing?

Also, the website is pretty clear that the Bluetooth model can be operated without the app and Bluetooth connectivity. It is much less clear that the wifi model will operate without being connected to a wifi connection. Will it?

They have a BT only (800W) and a 'both' (900W). Amazon currently shows them at ~$143 and ~$199, respectively.

While I don't currently own either, it stands to reason WiFi, like BT, is an extra feature that you don't have to use, it's just there.

Comment

Yes, in my mind, I would agree. Have been burned with various past purchases by only reading what ads do say, and not noticing what they DON'T say. Just want to be sure...

The Wi-Fi version on the anova website only shows the wifi emblem, and not the Bluetooth. I've seen both of them on it before also. Both would be great, but the need to not have either is an absolute requirement for me.

Does AR have a link that gets ya'll a few pennies for the purchase of the "both" model, provided I decide to purchase?

Comment

• TheCountofQ
        TheCountofQ commented
        Editing a comment
        duh,.... I found the tinyurl. Good thing it wasn't a snake.

• Sierraslick
        Sierraslick commented
        Editing a comment
        I have the blue tooth model. It heats 9 quarts of hot tap water (111-113 degrees) to 145 in less than 20 minutes and has cooked veggies to flank steak beautifully. I may use the BT to start it but more often I fill it, turn it on at the unit and monitor the timer and temp from my lounge chair.

• TheCountofQ
        TheCountofQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Sierraslick Thanks!!

Huskee is correct ... BT and WiFi can be nice to have but with the Anova you don't have to use either one. I have had the BT/WiFi version for nearly a year and use it frequently. I bought it primarily because of the extra wattage (900W vs. 800W in the BT-only circulator). Once in a while (surprisingly at first), I actually do find myself using WiFi with the Anova app for iOS ... usually when we are downstairs streaming something dubious on NetFlix and I'm feeling too lazy (or engrossed in the program) to walk all the way upstairs to the kitchen to check on it. Bottom line: I always start it manually, shut it down manually, and have the option of monitoring the temp (and adjusting it if needed) remotely using WiFi should I need to.

Comment

• TheCountofQ
        TheCountofQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks!!

FWIW here's the AR link for the 'both' version: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HHWSV1S/?tag=amazi0a8-20
      And a correction to my other post, the BT only version is currently ~$143, not 150, and it's here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UKPBXM4/?tag=amazi0a8-20

Comment

• TheCountofQ
        TheCountofQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Sold, based on comment #4. Used the tinyurl link to the right side of the page. Happy (way belated) Birthday to me... along with a vacmaster 380. I think I'll get a lot of use from the VM, less from Anova, but see value in learning to use it.

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you for using the tinyurl link TheCountofQ, much appreciated by all who work behind the scenes here at AR! Look forward to your review and pictures!

if i've learned anything from our marketing department it's that if it's a feature that can sell a unit it will be noted. if it doesn't say bluetooth then it won't have bluetooth. marketing doesn't forget to leave off features.

Comment

• TheCountofQ
        TheCountofQ commented
        Editing a comment
        The amazon link definitely stated "BOTH", and I do agree with you about marketing. "Half truths" or "implications as a misrepresentation" is a real sore spot for me!!

I already have a small, pro-quality, sous-vide bath, so I wanted an immersion circulator for larger cuts of meat (like brisket). As a result, I went for the 1200w Gourmia GSV150, to get a little more power for a similar price ($120, I think). It can connect to the internet so I can control it from anywhere with the app. Frankly I mostly don't care about that, except that if something goes wrong, you can at least see it remotely. I haven't used it for a brisket yet, but in test runs on smaller loads it's been great so far.

I don't think it has BT, so I guess if you wanted to remote control it someplace without Wi-Fi, that would be a problem, but it works fine connected to our router at home over Wi-Fi. And of course, you can control it completely with the buttons and dial, so the connectivity is strictly optional.

Comment

• TheCountofQ
        TheCountofQ commented
        Editing a comment
        I was unaware of that one. All my knowledge of SV comes from here, and it seems Anova and Joule are the popular models. I want the independence, in case I take it to the parents lake house. Hate using other's Wi-Fi, even it is mom & dad!! Murphy's law = my phone's battery would be dead, & no BT app.

Anova is great, and perhaps pioneered the EZ, design-forward, circulator (I first saw one at their launch at CES several years ago). But I think you pay something extra for the brand name at this point.

Comment

We have an Anovo 1st gen - no wifi or bluetooth. All the controls are on the unit. BF prefers it that way. I got the Joule to try out and it's still in the box. I should give it a go before I give the other one as a gift. We've been using it for over a year now, and love it.

Comment

I'll just add that the reason I didn't get the Joule is that it requires the use of my phone for everything. I bought the 900W Anova and simply use its onboard controls for everything. Works great.

I'm pretty much a Techie with enough "toys" to start a Best Buy, but requiring a phone to turn on/off a heater is downright insane.

Comment

• Skip
            Skip commented
            Editing a comment
            Same reason I went with the Anova.

Lowjiber I am with you on the Joule. However, I think the reason they went with phone controls was to keep it small. No screen and no controls keeps the profile much smaller than all of the other circulators. I have an Anova too, but it takes quite a while to get up to temp sometimes. Sometimes I wish I had the extra 200 W with the Joule, but that's more a product of being a gadget junky myself than actually needing it.

I have the wifi/BT model and never use either anymore.

Comment

• Lowjiber
            Lowjiber commented
            Editing a comment
            I have 123 degree water outta the tap, and the 900w brings the water up to 131 deg pretty quickly. Usually, if I start the Anova first off, it's ready by the time I get a couple of ribeyes trimmed, bagged, and ready.

If I had it to do over again, I'd still buy the 900 watt Anova over the Joule.

• Lowjiber
            Lowjiber commented
            Editing a comment
            One more comment...

I was using a large metal pan for my water bath, which likely was sinking some of the heat from my water. I bought one of those "plastic" Sous Vide "pans" with a cover. The plastic is a lousy conductor of heat, and that likely helps with the initial temp ramp-up too.

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            @Ilowjiber That "up to temp" when you're done prepping is my experience too. I like it!

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here