Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Sousvant and a vacuum sealer.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Sousvant and a vacuum sealer.

Decided to try Sous Vide cooking for dear wife and myself. My Tribest Sousvant and Weston vacuum sealer will arrive on Thursday, but I am going grocery shopping tonight. Would love to see the favorite recipes from those of you who are Sous Vide veterans.

My vacmaster arrives tomorrow also. Was torn between it and the Weston. I'm sure they are both great. My deciding factor was all the positive comments about the VM in another thread on this site.

You'll be getting a jump start on me still, as amazon is currently stating the 17th for delivery of the Anova.

I'll be watching your posts for advice!!

Comment

• badf00d
      badf00d commented
      Editing a comment
      Which VacMaster did you select?

• TheCountofQ
      TheCountofQ commented
      Editing a comment
      380, from webstaurantstore.

I use SV all the time for steaks (then sear on the grill). It's so convenient! A cinnamon apple is really good. Just google a recipe.

Comment

Got the vacuum sealer first and prepared three (3) bags for this week. Boneless Chicken breast that I put in a teriyaki sauce for sous vide tonight, and a 2 lb. Chuck steak that I will cook starting Friday for Saturday dinner. We also put some asparagus in bags, one with cheese and one with a little olive oil and vinegar. I am hoping to keep the meat warm in a faux cambro as I crank the water oven up to 180 to do the asparagus.

Online the precise temperature for the teriyaki chicken seems to have a lot of variation in temp/time. We are kind of going in the middle with 148 for 1:15. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Comment

72h x 133 beef short ribs. That's probably my favorite thing SV.

Comment

Like Christmas in February. The sousvant took 15 minutes to go from 103 to 148, so I think that is fairly quick.
        Attached Files

Comment

Off and running ...

Comment

• Centex Hokie
            Centex Hokie commented
            Editing a comment
            First meal tonight. Just ran its temp up to see how long it took.

Let us know how this unit works. I have a friend that is looking at getting one of these. Thanks for posting!

Comment

• Centex Hokie
            Centex Hokie commented
            Editing a comment
            Will do.

The teriyaki Chicken was the most moist chicken I have ever made. It was the same throughout and seemed to absorb quite a bit of the marinade. When I do it again, I will cook it at 152 instead of 148 as I thought the texture was not as firm as we like it. Set up and clean up were a breeze. Did figure out that the unit is about a 1/4" too tall with the top of the lid to fit under our upper cabinets. Have to invert the lid to slide it under.

Comment

Originally posted by scottranda View Post
            I use SV all the time for steaks (then sear on the grill). It's so convenient! A cinnamon apple is really good. Just google a recipe.
            Thanks. Sounds delicious

Comment

Brussels sprouts are awesome too. I think 185 for 30 min.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0111.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	266.6 KB
ID:	274092 Chuck steak, 24 hours at 140 with a rub and 5 minutes on the pellet grill to sear. Cuts like butter.
                Attached Files

Comment

Eggs Benedict is a nice dish to do SV style...

Tri-Tip & Short Ribs are my favorite meat to do SV style...
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Breadhead; February 11, 2017, 07:09 PM.

Comment

• TheCountofQ
                    TheCountofQ commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Man, oh, man!! Those ribs!! I understand the ribs take about a 72 hour bath, but what is your method for getting that bark?? I would think you would still need quite a bit of time on a smoker to get those results.

• EdF
                    EdF commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Watcha' drinking there - Shiraz?

• Breadhead
                    Breadhead commented
                    Editing a comment
                    EdF ... Hmmm... probably a Merlot or a Cabernet Sauvignon.

Creme brulee makes me feel like a real cook

Comment

#13.1
                    TheCountofQ commented
                    February 12th, 2017, 02:36 AM
                    Man, oh, man!! Those ribs!! I understand the ribs take about a 72 hour bath, but what is your method for getting that bark?? I would think you would still need quite a bit of time on a smoker to get those results.

I SV my Short Ribs at 165°, and then I put them in the fridge overnight. I then take them out of the SV bag, blot them dry, hit them with some beef love and a rub. I smoke them in my large BGE at 225° until I get that crust I want, about 5 hours.

If you SV to 165° you've left yourself about 38° of internal temperature to add to your meat. Plus it's about 35° coming out of the fridge, that gives you more smoker time too. I don't experience a stall when I do this cook. Basically your smoking at 225° to get the crust and smoky taste you want.

The duration of the SV time is flexible. You can SV your short ribs for a few hours at 165° and then smoke it until it becomes probe tender and gets the crust you want. Or you can do the 72 hour SV cook like they suggest in the Modernist Cuisine books. The extended SV time will give you the tenderness of a braised piece of meat... very, very tender.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
                      Potkettleblack commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yeah, he's going for more of a traditional BBQ result with SV. I am going for something uniquely Sous vide. Different end results demand different process. At 165, 8 hours is probably sufficient.

• Breadhead
                      Breadhead commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Potkettleblack ... I read the braised short rib's recipe in my Modernist Cuisine book on Sous Vide cooking. Then I applied my BBQ knowledge and decided to allow enough smoker time to get the smoke flavor and bark texture I wanted. I was trying to improve their cook, a ballsy move.😎

• Potkettleblack
                      Potkettleblack commented
                      Editing a comment
                      As I said, different intent. I'm generally not looking for a braise, as I can accomplish that in half an hour in my pressure cooker or three hours in my dutch oven. I'm not saying either is superior or incorrect. Just that the aims are different, so the means should be different.

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here