Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Sous Vide machine to buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Sous Vide machine to buy?

I am ready to "take the plunge" and if it works I will even try some St Louis style ribs as well as steaks/chicken/turkey... Just need to make sure I get a reliable one that has enough oomph to cook something large... and easy enough I can have a few poached eggs ready in the AM.

Also any suggestions on a vacuum sealer?

fracmeister in the new year...

I got the Anova. It functions well enough. The joule by Chefsteps looks like it might be better, but it requires a phone app to operate. The Anova app stinks, so I dont really use the wifi option. The bottom plastic cover on my Anova rattles so I removed it. Anova requires a pretty deep container, but the joule seems to just sit on the bottom. I think I would try out the joule if I were you.

Comment

I am in the same boat. MCS is really eating at me today. (For some reason) I can get the Joule on Amazon for $200. And the Anova for $200. But I have a Best Buy gift card for $50. So the cost to me for the Anova $150. But I have heard all good things about Joule and a few negatives about the Anova. So many problems when dealing with MCS.

Comment

I'd get the Joule - which I did. I didn't need it as I have a Sous Vide Supreme. But for smaller jobs I find the Joule way more convenient and it uses less water. Heats faster too.

Comment

Don't get the Nomiku. The Sansaire, Anova, Joule are all adequate. The Joule is the highest power version. The Anova has sold the most units.

As to vac sealer, all channel vacs are about the same. Try nice zip loc bags with water displacement. Save cost and stagger the MCS.

Comment

I've gone through 3 or 4 channel sealers - not worth the money as far as I'm concerned. Finally got the cheapest vacmaster chamber sealer, and feel like I've gotten my money's worth. But it's relatively steep.

Comment

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              They are great sealers. And fun to operate. Hahaha

I'll have to follow this thread. I was expecting to get the Anova for Christmas but didn't. Although, I did get 300 bucks in Amazon cards so I'm thinking about it. Something about the whole water cooking thing still rubs me the wrong way though.
            Last edited by ribeyeguy; January 8, 2017, 06:57 PM.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
              Jerod Broussard commented
              Editing a comment
              My wife too. Well my water has a film on it. That is her complaint. I'm like "Big deal, the water has been practically nuked and the food is sealed."

Originally posted by ribeyeguy View Post
            I'll have to follow this thread. I was expecting to get the Anova for Christmas but didn't. Although I did get 300 bucks in Amazon cards so I'm thinking about it. Something about the whole water cooking thing still rubs me the wrong way though.
            It's easier on the brain to think about SV as a low effort alternative to the indirect portion of reverse sear grilling. Smoking? I'm still scratching my head over how (or if) SV fits in there ... and I'm a BIG proponent of SV ...

Comment

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              That's the new frontier in a way - when best to incorporate the smoke.

• Potkettleblack
              Potkettleblack commented
              Editing a comment
              Smoke works both before and after. There are ups and downs to both. Smoke before can leak out of a sealed bag (rly). Smoke after is not as good on hot cooker proteins.

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              That's an interesting observation. Do you mean that the smoke doesn't stick well after SV, or only if it's not iced first?

I have both the Anova (800 watt Bluetooth only) and the Joule. I Like the Joule a lot more! It heats faster, Way faster than the Anova. However as stated the Joule can only be operated via a smart phone. which can be a pain if its up stairs charging and you want to know how much longer but as long as it is connected to the joule server you can use Alexa to find out simple things. The Anova takes a long time to heat up, mine is off by 2 degrees (as checked by 3 different Thermometers and Joule) It reads hotter than it is. (2 degrees doesn't sound like much but at 128 it takes much longer to pasteurize the protein than at 130, As I understand it) Not trying to say all Anova's would be off I'm just lucky that way. However the Anova can be run manually! the Timer function is not very user friendly (or intuitive) but can be figured out and used. Both do what they are suppose to! The Joule with a little more flair but either will get the job done.
            Last edited by GadjetGriller; January 8, 2017, 08:16 PM. Reason: clarification

Comment

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks for your input. I am on the fence between the two.

I have the Anova wi-fi (900W) and absolutely love it. I've set my water heater to deliver 130 degree hot water to the kitchen faucet and that's what I start with ... usually in a 12 qt. container. The Anova makes short work of heating up to temp from there ... even to 165-175 F. I typically run it manually but then monitor via the iPhone when I'm not close to the kitchen. I'm sure that the 1100W Joule does an excellent job of heating and then maintaining temperature ... but I wouldn't get too hung up on the 200W difference ... especially if the need for smart phone only control is an issue. Remember that the reported power is only telling you how much power is consumed by the device ... not how much (or how quickly) heat is delivered into the water bath. Bottom line: I'm sure that either of the two brands will do a fine job of SV for you.

Comment

About the Sealer. I have a Foodsaver V4440 2 in 1 what you want is one with a nozzle to use those resealable bags. (Zip top with a area on front to suck out the air) I use to use bags I got at the store but that company has quit making them so now you gotta get foodsaver bags. (I got a bunch on sale 2 sizes worth about 40 each for like 19 bucks) They are reusable! Yes I'm putting raw meat in them but when its done the meat is eatable seems to me that the bag has to be pasteurized as well Any way I haven't gotten sick yet. (I guess I should say YET!) Any vacuum sealer will do Really though or you can use the water displacement deal and a zip lock bag. I would use the Freezer bags though. I used just the regular bag a couple times and noticed a film or something floating on top of the water after the use and the bags came out stretched like maybe they were beginning to melt?? I dont know I've had no problem with the freezer bags leaving a residue in or on the water.

Comment

Re: Food Saver
                I have used their products for over 20 years. I have had somewhere between fair and good luck with product durability, but absolutely excellent results with their customer service!!! To me that is a really big deal in this day and age!!! Nothing lasts forever except your reputation!

Comment

We have both. The anova we have is a "model 1" - no bluetooth or wifi. Very easy to set. We did some steaks once that didn't turn out so great, thought it was the unit. Nope, it was spot on, they were just crappy steaks.

We also have a joule. Haven't tried it out yet.

We have a foodsaver that works great. Don't have the space in the kitchen for a chamber vac.

Comment

I've been completely happy with my Anova. I find the wireless feature useless, but then I'm a geezer. I tried sous vide ribs--using Kenji's recipe--and found them quite lacking. SV steaks (followed by a quick sear on the flat side of screaming hot GrillGrates) are da bomb. Hard cooked eggs done SV are the best ever (167°F for 1.5 hours). Many veggies are quite good SV and SV makes moist chicken breasts--I used to think "moist" and "chicken breasts" were mutually exclusive, 'cepting for rotissierie and smoked birds.. We also use SV to make yogurt.

Take the leap and buy a SV machine! Look for sales.

Comment

• Atalanta
                      Atalanta commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Chicken and pork that isn't dry! Amen!

I have the Anova WiFi model and it hasn't failed me. I've loaned it out for reheating my smoked meat so that a couple of friends could present it as their own. It worked flawlessly for them as well. I rarely use the WiFi feature but was on pre-order when they came out because I knew I had to have that capability. I compiled notes that are a page and a half long (so I won't post for fear of taking over a post) on what I like about SV and what I don't. The main conclusion is that it is a really valuable tool to have. It doesn't replace anything but it you have a hankering for that frozen steak in the freezer, like leftovers to taste as close to how they came off as you can get them you will really appreciate it. I've really only done meat on it - will try veggies this year.
                    Last edited by tbob4; January 10, 2017, 09:51 AM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here