Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Sous Vide machine would you recomend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vandy View Post
    Does anyone monitor the IT of the meat while it is in the SV bath or is it just a timed thing? Or do you just probe it with a Thermapen occasionally to find out when it reaches the IT that you are after?
    Just time.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      Pinch test. When it pinches tender, it's done. I don't probe anything in SV.

Originally posted by vandy View Post
    Does anyone monitor the IT of the meat while it is in the SV bath or is it just a timed thing? Or do you just probe it with a Thermapen occasionally to find out when it reaches the IT that you are after?
    No need for a meat thermometer... The amount of time in the bath tub achieves 2 things. 1) gets your meat to the desired internal temperature, usually within a couple of hours. 2) extended cooking time tenderizes your meat, the longer the better until you've gone to far and your meat becomes mushy.

Your meat will not over cook in water-unless you leave it in the water for an extravagantly extended amount of time. There is no carryover cooking. A 2" Prime grade Ribeye will be ready to sear in 2 hours in the bath tub. However... if you leave it in the bath tub 4 hours, 6 hours, 8 hours, 10 hours, it will progressively become more tender. There is a point of diminishing return though. Your meat will exceed tender and become mushy, undesirable, after to much time in the bath tub.

I experimented with 5 Choice grade Tri-Tips... I SV'ed them all at 131° because that's the safe temperature to cook them in a vacuum sealed bag without blanching them first to kill any bacteria on the surface of your meat. All were about 2.5 to 3.0 pounds each. All had been dry brined before going in to the vacuum sealed bag. All were dropped into the bath tub directly out of the freezer, frozen rock hard. All were cooked on different days. All were seared on top of my charcoal starter with a grate on it. The best way to sear a tri-tip, imho.

1) 24 hours in the bath tub at 131° - too mushy.😖
    2) 12 hours - extraordinary! 👍
    3). 8 hours - really good!
    4). 4 hours - good.
    5). 2 hours - ok but tough.

Remember... SV cooking is the ultimate form of set it and forget cooking ever created. The hands on time is exactly the same if it cooks for 2 hours or 24 hours. Planning is your only limitation.

Last edited by Breadhead; January 10, 2017, 11:19 PM.

Comment

vandy ... "Anyone ever cook hamburgers with a sous vide machine?"

Yes... I use Meathead's recipe for Steakhouse Steakburgers. I use chuck roast that I grind in my kitchen aid mixer - a dozen at a time. I add the spices that Meathead recommends and then I package them individually in my vacuum sealer and put them in the freezer.

When I want to cook burgers I preheat my bath water to 131° degrees. I SV the burgers, right out of the freezer, for 2 to 4 hours. When I'm ready to eat, I sear them in a cast iron skillet usually. Sometimes I sear them on my charcoal starter with a grate on it. I want the internal temperature of my burger to be about 135/140°. I want the crust to be slightly crunchy.👍 I want my cheese to make it look beautiful.

You will never get Meathead to give you a recommended finished cooking temperature of his hamburger patty. I assume because of any liability if you get sick from under cooked meat.

If you grind your own meat in a clean grinder and are confident there is no bacteria on/in your meat, 135°, medium rare, with a nice crust is good. If that makes you queasy, 140° to 150° is ok too.
      Attached Files

Comment

• Breadhead
        Breadhead commented
        Editing a comment
        Thunder77 ... I would follow Meathead's instruction because he is much more of an expert on food safety facts than I am. However... I read in Modernist Cuisine that if you blanch your Chuck roast in boiling water for 1 minute before grinding it cooking below 160° is safe.

• Thunder77
        Thunder77 commented
        Editing a comment
        I think that's what Meathead was talking about as well. Supposedly if you blanch it before grinding you kill all the surface bacteria, and they don't get ground into the meat.

• vandy
        vandy commented
        Editing a comment
        I will definitely blanch the chuck roast in boiling water next time before I grind it, I took these burgers up to 160 IT so did not have a problem but I could try a lower temp if I blanch first.

vandy I did a Video where I sous vide one Pattie and just regular cooked the other. Sous vide to 130 for 2.5 hours to make sure the meat was pasteurized then seared it to 145 internal, and the regular to 165 internal to see if I could tell the difference. I found that nope I couldn't tell almost any difference between the 2. I need to revisit that idea because I had not found out about Shocking the Sous Vide Protein yet. (shocking: putting the protein in a bath of ice water to quickly cool it down.) So I over cooked the Sous vide burger (wanted 135 but over shot to 145) But I will go out on a limb and say (in my experience limited as it is) that the difference between the 2 is negligible. If you have the time go a head and Sous vide the burgers if your in a hurry cook em the old fashion way and Enjoy!!

Comment

I started with a Joule and love it. Then I had wifi go down when I was planning a party involving sous vide. Uh-oh. Good news: it came back in time to save the day. But it also reminded me that I'm 100% reliant on wifi, connectivity, and all the gremlins that entails. Plus, what if I want to travel with it to a place that doesn't have wifi (yes, millenials, those places exist I'm enough of a cooking nerd that I'm going to get a second sous vide device that doesn't rely on wifi. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE LOVE LOVE my joule (named mine Jimmy P. but relying on it carries a bit of risk depending on your wifi, cell phone, etc. reliability.

Comment

• Ernest
        Ernest commented
        Editing a comment
        You have to be connected to wifi to connect to joule through BT. Yes that's why I haven't jumped on Joule yet.

• hoovarmin
        hoovarmin commented
        Editing a comment
        According to Chef Steps, you need WiFi to accomplish the initial Bluetooth pairing with your mobile device, but after that, you can us Bluetooth and WiFi is no longer required.

• LifebyC
        LifebyC commented
        Editing a comment
        Update: Joule can now connect via Bluetooth. You need Wifi for the initial setup, but once that process is complete you can control the unit via Bluetooth, without wifi. Yea!

I love the Joule. Its small so it fits almost anywhere. It heat the water fast and it has a magnetic bottom so you don't always have to use the clip.

I love the app, its loaded with recipes and techniques. Just click the recipe and go all the temps and times are preset. Of course, you can still do manual cooks too.

If I was going to do it again, I would buy the Joule again.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm considering selling my other two sous viders and getting a second, all plastic Joule.

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        You will love your Joule. It is a great tool. Potkettleblack

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        Already have a J. It's the second one I'm looking at. But want to get out of previous two.

I own both, My go to is the Joule just because it seems to heat up faster. Both work ok I dont like the manual interface for setting the timer on the Anova, but I do finally figure it out. To maybe help you decided I got an email today from Anova (well I read it today) saying that the Anova was on Sale for 149 bucks (gotta figure thats the Bluetooth 800 watt one) While I have actually used the Wifi option on the Joule a couple times (was at the store and came across a great sale on steaks the Joule was in the water still from a vegetable cook earlier in the day so I turned it on remotely and by the time I pulled into my driveway it beeped that the water was ready That was cool but not standard) Dont think the wifi is a big deal but I have not yet tried any long (long like 3 day cooks) so have not really needed the wifi. Go check and see if the Anova is on sale if so its your best bet!

Comment

I've got an oldish Polyscience, which of course is manual controls. I like the reliability (being a software guy by trade). So if I were new, and didn't personally value the remote control, I'd probably go with the regular Anova when it's on sale again. It's great that there are two good brands so relatively inexpensive!

Comment

Bumping this thread to let it be known that I have posted a Joule (new in box) in the for sale section. I'll be posting an Anova soon as I decide which one. The Anova will not have bluetooth or Wifi but it does heat at 1kW.

Comment

• Thunder77
            Thunder77 commented
            Editing a comment
            I didn't know Anova had a 1k model. I got the wifi model because it was 900w, versus 800w for the Bluetooth only model.

• Atalanta
            Atalanta commented
            Editing a comment
            It's the first version that came out. I was surprised when I found out the newer versions are lower power. However, like the espresso maker, when we turn it on, the lights cycle in sync with the heating element. LOL I know, we need to get our electrical upgraded.

I now own both the Joule and the Anova wifi version and I like both. The Joule heats the water up a lot quicker than the Anova but that is not a big deal unless I forget to turn one of them on when I need to and then have to get in a hurry, in that situation I go with the Joule to get things up to temp a little sooner.

Comment

Don't know anything about the Joule but I can comment on the Anova and I like it very much.

Comment

• vandy
              vandy commented
              Editing a comment
              The Joule is pretty nifty, a lot smaller that the Anova but more powerful. The only down side to the Joule is you have to operate it with the app on your smart phone, I wish they had a way to control it with a laptop but they don't.

• Thunder77
              Thunder77 commented
              Editing a comment
              Being an electronics guy by trade, I am guessing that they were able to make the Joule smaller BECAUSE it only has the app interface. No onboard components for the display, dials, etc.

• Potkettleblack
              Potkettleblack commented
              Editing a comment
              Exactly. They don't have to have all that display and control stuff, so it's all motor and brain.

Hmmm... I look at SV Circulators like I do lump coal. What can get the job done accurately for the least amount of money?

Lets take a tri tip cook as an example... you can leave that piece of meat in the bath tub at 131° for 2/4/6/8/10/12/14/16 hours.

That piece of meat doesn't care how you started your SV Circulator or how long it was in the bath tub. The longer it's in the bath tub the more tender it will get.

The circulator is engineered to keep your bath tub water at the same EXACT temperature for days at a time... why do you need to check up on it? There's no fluctuation in the water temperature in a 24 hour cook.

The orginal intent of the guy that invented the SV circulator was... "SET IT and FORGET IT"

My Anova circulator has blue tooth capability... I used that feature once or twice 2 years ago.

Lets cook a tri-tip...

Get up in the morning. Go to the kitchen and get the coffee maker started. Put the 5 gallon plastic tub on the counter by the sink. Turn on the hot water, stroll the water dispenser over to you tub and fill it with hot water. Put you circulator on the back of the tub and get the water circulating. Insert your vacuum sealed tri-tip in the bath tub, drink a cup of coffee and then go take a shower. Get dressed, go to work, drive home, grab a beer and relax. Watch the news, play with the kids and when you're ready to dine... figure out how you chose to sear your meat. Serve dinner.

I did that exact cook today... no blue tooth or wifi required or desired.

Comment

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              I share the approach. Oh, that's right, the young'uns call it "workflow" these days!

Check into Nomiku. I have had one for about a year now but, have yet to use it. So, I can't say how good it is.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCN0230.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.09 MB ID:	311519
            Last edited by Omega-Man; April 28, 2017, 09:13 AM.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
              Potkettleblack commented
              Editing a comment
              No. Do not. Stick with Anova or Joule. My Nomiku WiFi might find it's way to the for sale shortly, if I can muster the ethical lapse to do so. My Nom has shutdown during long cooks for no reason. I never use it anymore.

• Omega-Man
              Omega-Man commented
              Editing a comment
              Guess I should have tested it before the warranty expired!
              Do you have the original or the updated one as pictured?

• Potkettleblack
              Potkettleblack commented
              Editing a comment
              I had the original, which worked pretty well, but I never liked it as much as my SVS Demi. Display wrong direction, wonky control. The new one correct face, better dial, but wonky.

Anybody heard of Monoprice.com's Strata home SV machine?

Monoprice is best known for their high quality, low price computer cables and electronics accessories. Recently, they've added a line of small home appliances under the Strata name.

Their SV stick, priced at $70, seems like a great deal and they have an option to bundle it with a vac sealer.

cheers---->Al

Comment

• Breadhead
              Breadhead commented
              Editing a comment
              I would buy that in a New York second! My Anova is an 800w machine. $70 is like super cool. I'd buy 3 of them!

• vandy
              vandy commented
              Editing a comment
              Looks almost like the Anova at a very nice price.

• Breadhead
              Breadhead commented
              Editing a comment
              Hmmm... a circulator and a vacuum sealer delivered for $150. That's a really, really good value!

My plain Jane Gourmia 1200 watt stick serves me well and at $70 it's easy on the wallet. Fast heating, consistent temps... Set it and walk away. Carry on

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here