Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Joule stopped in middle of cook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Joule stopped in middle of cook

Just got Joule on Christmas, in middle of 2nd cook and it just shut off and light won't come on.(have unplugged and plugged in and checked outlets) can't seem to find phone number but have emailed..... Has anyone else here had thar happen, if so what resolved it.

I just gave one as a Christmas present to my sister-in-law, hope this does not happen to her.

Comment

• vwskirch
      vwskirch commented
      Editing a comment
      They said they would send new one to replace.

Damn, that sucks. Hopefully the replacement works out for you. It's never fun when equipment breaks down.

Comment

Here's what my wise*&* wife said when I got my Anova - "hopefully getting that thing wet doesn't void the warranty."

Comment

• Atalanta
        Atalanta commented
        Editing a comment
        "Immersing in water voids the warranty."

• GadjetGriller
        GadjetGriller commented
        Editing a comment
        now that would be the ultimate Catch 22!!

• Michael Brinton
        Michael Brinton commented
        Editing a comment
        It actually does if you drop the entire device into the water.

I was looking forward to experimenting with it too. Oh well I'm sure replacement will be fine.

Comment

• tbob4
        tbob4 commented
        Editing a comment
        Sorry about the bad unit - you will like it when you get the working one.

Have heard one other person who had that problem. It was replaced within two weeks.

Comment

• vwskirch
        vwskirch commented
        Editing a comment
        I actually bought it through Amazon....replacement will be here Saturday......I guess I can't complain too much.

I just had the same thing happen to me with 4 pork chops.. Within the first half hour, I got a message from the Joule that it had lost its wifi connection. I was in the house, in another room. My phone showed that the wifi was fine.

I finished what I was doing, and about 10 minutes later went and saw that the Joule had stopped and the water temp had dropped. Yikes!

I unplugged it and replugged it in. Bupkiss. Got a message that the Joule should be updated. Huh? I just did an app update a few of days ago, but oh well...

Did the update which took about 5 minutes. By this time the water had cooled from 140 to 130.

Restarted everything and reset the temp for 140 and the time for an hour, to make up for time lost plus some.

Seems to be working fine now.

I'm a bit worried about keeping this pork at 140 for 2 hours or so. I plan on putting it in the fridge to reheat tomorrow night when guests come. Hope it will be safe.

I was planning on reheating the pork chops in the sous vide for 2 hours, based on this Chef Steps recommendation:

ChefSteps is here to make cooking more fun. Get recipes, tips, and videos that show the whys behind the hows for sous vide, grilling, baking, and more.

The chops are 1.5 inches thick, which puts the recommended reheating time between 1.25 hours and 3.5 hours.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Kathryn

Comment

• MBMorgan
        MBMorgan commented
        Editing a comment
        Kathryn, from what you describe, it sounds like the chops stayed out of the danger zone. Here's a link to a really good discussion (with tables!) about pasteurization times/temps. Pork is in section 5 (with beef and lamb):. http://www.douglasbaldwin.com/sous-vide.html#Table_3.1

Mike

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks so much, Spinaker and MBMorgan. Mike, I've looked at those tables. I agree, I should be fine. Makes me nervous to hold something at 140. I think I'm going to put them in the freezer for a few hours to cool them quicker.

Kathryn

• GadjetGriller
        GadjetGriller commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks fzxdoc had to say it out loud didn't you now mine will say "Hey I want some attention!!" Lucily I have the Anova as back up

Never had problems with the Anova 😊

Comment

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        You're killin' me, Smalls!

This is my second cook with the Joule. The first one was perfect. The Evil Joule Elves got busy on this one because they knew I have a busy day and actually forgot exactly what time I put the darn pork chops in!

K.

fzxdoc - The drop in the water temp for that time is fine. What I keep reading for the "sous vide today to reheat tomorrow" is that you want to get it to the point of pasteurization. The slight drop in temp for that period of time should not have effected that. I also keep reading here is that if getting to that point for reheating it's safest to "shock cool" in an ice bath before refrigerating. I might be wrong, though. I agree with Spinaker that Jerod Broussard would be a really good resource for that. Same with Potkettleblack. I've not used my Anova in the same manner.

Comment

Those tables are really great, Mike (@Mbmorgan). I've seen them referenced before but never looked at them because I thought I could blindly follow the Chef Steps recommendations with the Joule. I need to be a little less trusting, I guess.

tbob4 , thanks. I hadn't read your post before I posted my note to Mike, so I'm editing this post to include a comment to you. I'd like to put on ice, but we're leaving the house for the evening, and I'm thinking that maybe cooling the freezer might be better? At your suggestion, I'll shock cool them for a little bit in an ice bath. Thanks again!

Kathryn

Comment

fzxdoc

Sorry I was at work making sure food products were being processed safely....go figure.

Improper cooling down of food is the number one cause of illnesses. But things look fine as already noted. You just had a dip, not multiple hours of the food product sitting at room temperature.

Just an FYI- don't just look at the microbes themselves but the potential toxins. Some toxins are heat stable for 90 minutes at 250 degrees, so wimpy reheating procedures don't do squat since many times they are on food already cooked such as rice for stir fry. The rice gets cooked, someone leaves it at room temp to cool for HOURS, the microbes (Bacillus cereus) release emetic toxins, which in turn are not eliminated when the rice is refrigerated nor when the rice is reheated for the stir fry dishes.

FYI FYI- the emetic toxin for Bacillus cereus is mainly found on rice, pastas, potatoes, etc.....the diarrheal toxin for that microbe (different serotypes) is mostly found on meat dishes, dairy products and desserts.
          Last edited by Jerod Broussard; January 28, 2017, 06:28 PM.

Comment

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            It's great to have you around, Man!

• Jerod Broussard
            Jerod Broussard commented
            Editing a comment
            EdF believe me when I say I know 1 millionth of what Meathead has access to as for as food safety.

• Potkettleblack
            Potkettleblack commented
            Editing a comment
            This, exactly this. Recent personal experience cultivating both the emetic and diarrheal versions in one dish suggest safety over everything.

Thanks for the reassurance and the good info, Jerod Broussard . I'll forge ahead with the planned reheat tomorrow. If I'm still posting on Monday, you'll know that I didn't die from one of those scary micro organisms you mentioned.

Kathryn

Comment

I have asked the Joule people to join this conversation.

Comment

Thanks Meathead, as a Joule owner I will be very interested in what they have to say as I am sure all the Joule owners in the Pit will also be very interested.

Comment

fzxdoc I'm glad you like my tables! I agree with everyone's food safety comments.

I tend to think about batch cooking differently than I think about cooking to serve immediately.

If I'm cooking sous vide to serve immediately, I usually don't worry much about pasteurization. Beef, pork, and lamb typically have few microorganisms within the meat and our* digestive systems evolved to destroy moderate numbers of pathogens. While probably not necessary, we always pasteurize poultry in my house; but sous vide lets us pasteurize at much lower temperatures, such as 140 °F / 60 °C for 1½ hours, so our chicken breasts remain moist and tender.

What about for batch cooking? The more trips that food takes through the "danger zone", the more hazards we need to worry about. For example, FDA Food Code (annex 4) looks at the hazards for "no cook" (with no complete trips), "same day" (with one trip), and "complex (with two or more trips). With "complex" batch cooks – where you cook, cool, store, reheat, and serve – Jerod Broussard's concerns about toxins becomes a real concern if the food isn't cooled quickly enough or stored at too warm a temperature. In my cookbook for home cooks, I recommended pasteurizing (at ≥130 °F / 54.5 °C to reduce Listeria monocytogenes by 1M to 1), cooling rapidly in ice water (for longer than most would think necessary), either refrigerating for a few days or freezing, and then reheating and serving. The rapid cooling reduces the risk that spore-forming bacteria will regenerate and start making toxins; pasteurizing and a short refrigeration time reduces the risk both from Listeria and other cold tolerant pathogens and from regenerated spore-forming bacteria. This all sounded scary when I explained it to my mother, but she's been batch cooking and reheating from her freezer almost daily for the last nine years.

Anyway, let me know if I can answer any questions that you might have.

* Unless you're at high risk for foodborne illness, then pasteurize everything!

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                  Jerod Broussard commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I was in Hobby Lobby expressing my excitement, wife kept looking at thread and was not amused at all by my excitement over who was posting on this thread.

• mgaretz
                  mgaretz commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Great to have you here DouglasBaldwin

• DouglasBaldwin
                  DouglasBaldwin commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'm glad I finally joined, the Pit looks like an amazing place to chew the fat. I even look forward to buying a new smoker to take advantage of the cherry tree that died in our yard and is now stacked and waiting to make some delicious food.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here