Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Joule is Amazing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you have Wi-Fi connection issues with your Joule, here's a ChefSteps post for you. I ran across this while browsing their forums.

Pre-loaded Wi-Fi profile potentially causing Joule connection issues.
    https://www.chefsteps.com/forum/post...nection-issues

Comment

My Joule is sitting in a box in my cube at work. Will get it Friday. My fireboard is here, which surprised the hell out of me.

Comment

Current price $199, 1 week shipping.

Comment

Ours arrived today. BF is not happy that you need a smart device to use it. Don't know if we'll keep it or get another Anovo.

Comment

• Histrix
            Histrix commented
            Editing a comment
            Atalanta - then in that case you get to use the fancy new Joule and he can just stick with the old Anova.

• Atalanta
            Atalanta commented
            Editing a comment
            Histrix - that thought had crossed my mind....

• BruceB
            BruceB commented
            Editing a comment
            Unfortunately, the need for a smart device/app makes this a non-starter for me.

I got the email that mine shipped today but when I tracked it FedEx said it didn't reach the drop off on time. 😟

Comment

My Joule arrived today and it is pretty cool. Seems to heat fast and the app is easy to use. My Thermapen says the temperature is right on. I especially like the fact that I can use it with my Amazon Echo and Dots, though I hope they will add a feature to tell how long until the food is done (it's in the app, but not Alexa). I also liked the fact that the timer in the app told me when the food was done on my Apple Watch!

Comment

It's here and I'll post in the appropriate thread later whether I'm a hero or zero on this cook.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0561.PNG
Views:	129
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	243273

Comment

• smokinsteve
                smokinsteve commented
                Editing a comment
                I'm guessing a hero! Did my first "cook" yesterday with some pork chops. Chops, garlic, rosemary, s&p, Memphis Dust and an hour with the Joule. Browned in the skillet and delicious.

Here's what I like about the Joule so far:

1. The small size (< 2" in diameter and 11" tall) and it doesn't weight much (just over a pound) makes it easy to use and store.
              2. Temperature accuracy. Using my ThermoWorks ChefAlarm and needle probe I only saw 0.2 degrees difference at most.
              3. It's water resistant (not waterproof), so a quick dunk shouldn't cause an issue.
              4. I didn't do an actual measurement of time, but it seems to heat the water quicker than my Anova.
              5. It will stand up without use of a clip.
              6. Water depth range is great (Minimum water depth 1.5 inch. Maximum water depth 8 inch).

I have a smartphone so requiring an app to use it is not a problem for me.

These boneless, skinless chicken breasts were given a 15 minute smoke with cherry wood on my kettle/SnS and are now cooking. We like the texture from a 140 degree sous vide cook and use them for salads, chili, etc. I may sauce and quickly sear a few of these.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0580.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	155.0 KB
ID:	243734

Comment

• Nate
                Nate commented
                Editing a comment
                Fuzzy, Anova va Joule... What are your thoughts? I'm on the fence and trying to figure out which way to go.

• fuzzydaddy
                fuzzydaddy commented
                Editing a comment
                Nate Anova works great and you can control it on the unit, but it is much heavier/bigger and requires using the clip. If I were buying again I'd go with the Joule, but keep in mind app control only.

• Nate
                Nate commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks!

I have a question, did anybody receive a 2nd larger clip for attaching to a cooler? I was listening to
              Meathead Talking about it on the Bbqcentral Radio Show and he mentioned that the Joule came with two clips and one was larger for attaching to a cooler. So I ordered one but I did not receive one with mine that I was expecting.
              Last edited by Powersmoke_80; November 26, 2016, 08:36 PM.

Comment

• Histrix
                Histrix commented
                Editing a comment
                They will be selling larger clips later on.

• fuzzydaddy
                fuzzydaddy commented
                Editing a comment
                What Histrix said. I check their store page periodically.

• Powersmoke_80
                Powersmoke_80 commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks for the info fuzzydaddy and Histrix

Here's what I use, 1 beer fermenter holds 30 litres its a food grade plastic container made by coopers beer from a beer kit
              I then found a kettle removed the s/steel element with seal & switch, drilled a hole near bottom of bucket and mounted it into my fermenter
              I then placed a thermowell on the other side of the fermenter that completes my s/v bucket setup
              Since I make home brew I have several fridge controllers, so fill bucket up with water plug the element into Fridge controller, put the temperature probe into thermowell, plug power cord of fridge controller into house power, set what temperature you want to cook at bag meat either vac seal or zip lock it suspend it and let it rip. I use an app to determine cooking times and temperature
              And best of all I can still use the fermenter as origanlly intended. After cooking I color the meat with a map torch or use a BBQ
              Cheap effective works for me.

Comment

For those that have an Amazon Echo, Dot or Tap, there is a current deal on Joule for $179, but it must be ordered through Alexa Voice shopping to get that deal.

Comment

I have been philosophically opposed to idea of the sous vide method for awhile, but I'm on the verge of going that direction. Just got my Christmas bonus from work and it's burning a hole in my pocket.

Comment

• badf00d
                    badf00d commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Go for it. It's no more of a cooking sellout than a temperature probe, microwave, or blender. Just another tool.

• Atalanta
                    Atalanta commented
                    Editing a comment
                    And there's an anova sale at Target. There's a topic under "today's posts" with coupon codes.

• Potkettleblack
                    Potkettleblack commented
                    Editing a comment
                    And the Anova goes on sale several times a year. They even do the down to $99 a few times a year. One wonders if Chris Sacca would have been so gung ho about Nomiku, if he'd done market research and seen what the price and margins are.

Originally posted by mgaretz View Post
                  For those that have an Amazon Echo, Dot or Tap, there is a current deal on Joule for $179, but it must be ordered through Alexa Voice shopping to get that deal.
                  I recently bought an ANOVA over the Joule because I don't want to have to fool with an iPhone app just to turn on/set a sous vide machine.

That said, I have three Dots scattered throughout the house, doing things like turning lights on/off, etc. If Alexa could control the Joule app, I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

Comment

• mgaretz
                    mgaretz commented
                    Editing a comment
                    It doesn't control the app, but it can control the Joule.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here