Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Innovation or ?........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Innovation or ?........

Okay, I'm a devout gizmoholic, and feature laden devices will often peak my interest, even if not enough to cause me to buy. And I do have a typical sous vide circulator "wand" though it's not my go to device often. But I see this and think, "clever, but kinda overblown." Can't help but wonder who the target audience is. Typhur

What next? A Traeger with a vac sealer and 12” screen 🙄

Comment

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      Built in Sous Vide, maybe? or an auto wrapper?

A quick Google suggests that the focus of the company is on advertising, marketing, podcasts and "building the smart kitchen"

None of which impresses us in terms of telling us what Typhur is all about.

But yes, based on the video clip we see, nobody wants/needs a 9" tablet screen dedicated to a sous vide device for home use.

Definitely seems like overkill.

Comment

I watched the video and what I heard was, "Great chefs use sous vide, but you're not capable of thinking for yourself, so we have this really expensive way for you to remain ignorant and lazy."

Comment

But the people in the photos look so darn happy

Comment

• mrteddyprincess
          mrteddyprincess commented
          Editing a comment
          Before or after shelling out $599 for a sous vide cooker? :-)

• HawkerXP
          HawkerXP commented
          Editing a comment
          Before or after he cuts his fingertip off while kanoodeling with the girlfriend?

The one feature that is kind of cool is that you can set it up to cook in the future, and it will keep the water chilled until it turns on.

I bet the bags are expensive.

Comment

• gboss
          gboss commented
          Editing a comment
          Can it really keep the things chilled below 41degrees F? It must be using some TEC device instead of a resistance heater. Color me skeptical that this ends up being safe.

• Murdy
          Murdy commented
          Editing a comment
          gboss -- says temp range is 32 to 195f, no info on its mechanics though

Also says retail price is $799, but available now for $ 599 -- Yikes!

Looks like it’s targeted at the young, busy, tech savvy, cash heavy, portion of the population. You know, those young people they make TV shows about. Honestly several of our children are busy career people. It wouldn’t surprise me if one of them bought one of these. I know one of them bought an Insta-pot just to be able to walk in the door to a hot meal.

Comment

The keep cool until time then cook thing is nice but I'd want to know details about it to judge food safety. The food needs to be 40 or under, and then you usually do not want to warm the food with the water, so... color me skeptical here. If it works well and is safe, though, it would address one of the pain points of SV for people who work out of the house and want dinner soon after getting home.

NO idea why a 12.9" screen is needed though.

Comment

• WayneT
            WayneT commented
            Editing a comment
            I think a Netflix subscription comes with it.

I had a sous vide oven, a Sous Vide Supreme. It is a great device, and very inconvenient regarding the amount of counter space it used. A circulator works just as well and goes in a drawer when not in use.

Comment

Seems like over kill to me!

Comment

Looks neat but not at that price. The tech is cool but not needed, my Anova is just fine for way less $$

Comment

Originally posted by 58limited View Post
                Looks neat but not at that price. The tech is cool but not needed, my Anova is just fine for way less $$
                This feels targeted at people who would like SV but both work away from home and have a LOT of disposable income. In that case, I see the attraction of "take 2 preseasoned steaks (or whatever) out of the freezer, put them in this thing and have it turn on so that it's ready a little after we get home" . It's kind of the SV version of those meal kit things.

But I'm with you. My Anova Nano is fine.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here