Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sous vide Container for 20 pounds Pork Butt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dubob
    commented on 's reply
    Might I suggest this lid as a replacement? https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• STEbbq
    commented on 's reply
    I could easily get another butt in there too.

• fzxdoc
    commented on 's reply
    You go, STEbbq. Looks like you made a wise choice.

K.

• Dr. Pepper
    commented on 's reply
    STEbbq Nice! You will have to post the rest of this journey, up until meal time.

• STEbbq
    replied
    Dr. Pepper

15 pounds of pork butt/shoulder and two ribeyes with space to spare.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• fzxdoc
    commented on 's reply
    Dr. Pepper :

I got fed up with FoodSavers. I had one that worked like a charm for years and years until I killed it trying to vacuum seal some corn cut off the cob and a bit of liquid got in. Then I went through a couple of years of several Food Savers, each of which only worked for a few months then just quit. Each was replaced under warranty, but still a pain. I finally ended up with a chamber sealer and a vacuum sealer, since the chamber sealer maxes out at 10x13 inch bags.

K.

• Dr. Pepper
    commented on 's reply
    fzxdoc You might see if Lipavi can send you the silicone gasket they use for the Joule. I suspect it's the same lid as for the Anovi, but with the silicone gasket added on. But, I don't know that, just guessing. Thanks for the info. (And, you have a real vacuum machine, not a wimpy FoodSaver!) Daniel

• fzxdoc
    commented on 's reply
    ...and finally...
    Dr. Pepper , I have a spouse like yours--he gives me the side-eye every time a new kitchen or BBQ doo-dad appears. I practice my innocent look but never quite manage to pull it off.

K.

• fzxdoc
    commented on 's reply
    Dr. Pepper ,
    ...continued...
    Back when I bought the 12 and 26 quart Lipavis they did not have the Joule gasket available yet. No worries, I just put a little plastic wrap around the open area of the cutout around the Joule and it works like a charm.

I'm tempted to get the 18 quart and the rack for it. The 12 quart is enough for 4 nice sized steaks--3 in the rack and one leaning up against it. The 12qt holds less than I thought it would.
    Last edited by fzxdoc; August 14, 2021, 06:58 PM.

• fzxdoc
    commented on 's reply
    Dr. Pepper , I can just fit a smallish packer, trimmed down to about 10 lbs, in that 26 quart Lipavi. But since I have two Joules, I usually split the packer and use the 12 quart and the 26 quart Lipavi containers.

When I use those larger containers, I vacuum seal the meat. I only use ziploc bags when I SV for the two of us in an 8 quart stockpot.

I get along pretty well with the 8 quart stock pot,12 and 26 qt Lipavis, with the rack for the 12 quart size. The Lipavis nest for storage.
    K.
    Last edited by fzxdoc; August 14, 2021, 06:45 PM.

• fzxdoc
    commented on 's reply
    STEbbq , I like using the rack when I SV more than 2 steaks. Usually I SV in my 8 quart stock pot. That's just fine for the two of us. If I have 4 steaks, I go to the 12 quart Lipavi, usually, depending on the type of steak. I can fit 5 boneless skinless chicken breasts in the rack in the 12 quart. Sometimes I just use the 26 quart with the rack and some bags clipped to the side of the container as well.

The rack helps the water circulate better around the meat cuts.

Kathryn
    Last edited by fzxdoc; August 14, 2021, 07:14 PM.

• Dr. Pepper
    commented on 's reply
    And, fzxdoc Can you give me further advice re: sizes. Up to now I have been using my round 6 quart/liter Cambro (9" tall), and I haven't cut a whole in the lid, since I use it for my pizza dough prep as well. That easily accepts a few NY steaks, or a large bag of whole carrots. No divider. Would you add the 12 and 26 liter sizes, each with rack and lids? And, it appears that the joule lid is their standard SV lid with an insertable gasket.

• Dr. Pepper
    commented on 's reply
    fzxdoc Kathryn, you can fit an entire (trimmed) packer in there? I assume you use the 2 gallon ziplock bag? Or, as it will be SV'd, you can split point and flat without worrying about the flat drying out during the much shorter Q? Or, QVQ?

I can see the advantage to the width over height (as in the 22 quart.)
    Looking for guidance here, before I order another large container and invoke the wrath of 'The Spouse.' She now says I have to remove something for every new thing I bring in. 😒

• STEbbq
    commented on 's reply
    I think that sounds perfect. I should be able to fit 2-3 butts I hope and maybe some fat trimming will help too.

• Dr. Pepper
    commented on 's reply
    Each Costco CryoPac contains two whole pork butts, verdad? Have other members cut each butt in half in order to increase bark to center ratio? My avatar was my very first cook in my KBQ, 2 Costco CryoPacs, so 4 butts, for an office party two years ago in August. After a hot and sunny summer, the day of the party was cool and rainy, and about 20 showed up for 4 pork shoulders! Lots of meat to bring in on Monday for lunches at our 4 offices.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here