Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sous vide Container for 20 pounds Pork Butt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sous vide Container for 20 pounds Pork Butt?

Gearing up for my big cook and it looks like I will be doing 15-20 pounds of pork butt. I have a big stock pot that may not hold everything the way I want. I see a bunch of 12L sous vide containers for $50 bucks but I am not sure if they are big enough.

I am thinking I'd have to do 2-3 freezer bags of meat and it gets complicated trying to fit everything in.

What would you guys recommend?

Edit: no vacuum sealer yet.
    Last edited by STEbbq; August 13, 2021, 04:29 PM.

Do you have a cooler? It can be a hotter, too.

Comment

Cooler could work. But I have one more warning… make sure with that much water and meat that one sous vide circulator will be enough.

Comment

• Steve R.
        Steve R. commented
        Editing a comment
        This is where I would just fill it with hot tap water and then maybe add some boiling water as needed to start out close to the target temp. The insulation of the cooler helps quite a bit, too.

I have a 12L Anova container and that won't be big enough for 20lbs. Maybe a single 9lber.

Comment

Joule says up to 10 gallons so it shouldn't be a limitation.

Comment

I have a "regular" sized cooler that would easily hold the meat. The down side is it takes a good couple hours for my smaller Anova to heat up the water. You can help this along by filling it with hot water to begin with. Once it gets up to temp, the Anova has no trouble holding it there.

Comment

I found a 20L container on Amazon recently. I was considering it for a big brisket. I don’t know how to post the link on my phone. Sorry. But I am sure you can find it.

Comment

Cambro Camwear Polycarbonate Square Food Storage container, 22 Quart, Clear https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0001MRURI...2N1VT4THBTFTHB

Comment

Cambro 4.75 Gallon Polycarbonate Food Storage Camwear Box https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002NQB63E...Q2P1MFW7YE60XM

Comment

• STEbbq
                  STEbbq commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks!
                  Last edited by STEbbq; August 13, 2021, 06:36 PM. Reason: Deleted question because I am dumb.

I suppose you could just use a 5 gallon paint bucket. Not transparent, but who cares. Your butts will likely displace enough water to bring the water level high enough. But, I like the cooler idea, since it conserves the heat. The only issue is how to keep your SV machine propped up, since the clips won't go that wide. Maybe tie some twine to the clip, attach to a weight thrown over to the outside of the cooler? What are suggestions for this. (I have a Joule.)

Comment

Bought a Rubbermaid 22 quart container and lid for about $40 shipped off Amazon. This one will get to me in time for the picnic and won't require new tools to modify other than scissors. Thanks Polarbear777
                Last edited by STEbbq; August 13, 2021, 06:52 PM.

Comment

Lid
                Attached Files

Comment

tRidiot replied to Sous Vide Brisket - HOLY COW!!! 😳
                  in Beef Discussion

July 4, 2021, 11:19 AM

Maybe I need to try this... I did sous vide pork butt this weekend and I was quite disappointed with the results. It was mushy, the meat shredded easily, but I was just... mushy...
                  See more | Go to post

I remembered the above post when I read yours STEbbq . You might want to test out sous vide pork butt before doing it full scale for the picnic.

Comment

• STEbbq
                    STEbbq commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks. I did read that and it looks like he only did the sous vide step with no smoking or searing so I think I understand why that did not work out.

I have the Lipavi 26 quart model which is great for briskets and other larger amounts of meat. You buy the lid and, if desired, a rack for it separately:

https://www.amazon.com/LIPAVI-Sous-V...GO/ref=sr_1_3?

Click image for larger version  Name:	81Zn0gOK20L._AC_SL1500_.jpg Views:	0 Size:	268.2 KB ID:	1077197

The rack is customizable, so you can take out some of the supports as needed to fit what you've got going in there. And they have a lid that is specifically shaped for the Joule.

I also have the smaller 12 quart model with lid.

Kathryn
                  Last edited by fzxdoc; August 14, 2021, 06:43 AM.

Comment

• fzxdoc
                    fzxdoc commented
                    Editing a comment
                    ...and finally...
                    Dr. Pepper , I have a spouse like yours--he gives me the side-eye every time a new kitchen or BBQ doo-dad appears. I practice my innocent look but never quite manage to pull it off.

K.

• Dr. Pepper
                    Dr. Pepper commented
                    Editing a comment
                    fzxdoc You might see if Lipavi can send you the silicone gasket they use for the Joule. I suspect it's the same lid as for the Anovi, but with the silicone gasket added on. But, I don't know that, just guessing. Thanks for the info. (And, you have a real vacuum machine, not a wimpy FoodSaver!) Daniel

• fzxdoc
                    fzxdoc commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Dr. Pepper :

I got fed up with FoodSavers. I had one that worked like a charm for years and years until I killed it trying to vacuum seal some corn cut off the cob and a bit of liquid got in. Then I went through a couple of years of several Food Savers, each of which only worked for a few months then just quit. Each was replaced under warranty, but still a pain. I finally ended up with a chamber sealer and a vacuum sealer, since the chamber sealer maxes out at 10x13 inch bags.

K.

I guess my question is how big is this pork butt volume wise? Is this four five pounders or is this one giant one or what? I have one of those 26 quart Lipavi units too and I’m not sure it would hold that kind of volume. Better check that.

Comment

• STEbbq
                    STEbbq commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I am leaning towards Costco pork butt divided in 2.

• Dr. Pepper
                    Dr. Pepper commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Each Costco CryoPac contains two whole pork butts, verdad? Have other members cut each butt in half in order to increase bark to center ratio? My avatar was my very first cook in my KBQ, 2 Costco CryoPacs, so 4 butts, for an office party two years ago in August. After a hot and sunny summer, the day of the party was cool and rainy, and about 20 showed up for 4 pork shoulders! Lots of meat to bring in on Monday for lunches at our 4 offices.

• STEbbq
                    STEbbq commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I think that sounds perfect. I should be able to fit 2-3 butts I hope and maybe some fat trimming will help too.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here