Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thermoworks DOT sous vide kit $55

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thermoworks DOT sous vide kit $55

Edit: I need to drink more coffee before posting as this is clearly not that valuable or useful for sous vide.

Looks like a potentially cheap and effective approach. $65 on site with another 15% off. I suppose you’d have to use the Joule app to tell you how long to cook it though.

Specializing in cool, unique and professional temperature tools. Super-Fast thermocouples, thermistors, infrared thermometers, data logging and more.

From email:

Place a piece of your Sous Vide Foam Tape on the area you plan on sticking your probe needle through to prevent leakage, set the high alarm on your DOT to your desired pull temp, insert your waterproof probe into the center of your meat, and wait for DOT to tell you when your cook is ready! Just when you thought Sous Vide couldn’t get any simpler.
    Last edited by STEbbq; August 9, 2021, 12:14 PM.

STEbbq I think that Thermoworks is trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist. I love my Thermoworks stuff - I've got 2 instant reads, a Dot, a Smoke, etc. But the thing with Sous Vide is that you typically leave the meat in the bath long enough to know for sure it has reached the temperature of the water throughout. I'm never in a rush to remove the steak, pork loin, whatever, the instant it hits the set point in the center of the meat. So unless you don't trust the thermostat setting on your Anova, Joule, whatever, I just don't see the need for trying to setup to monitor the IT of the meat while doing Sous Vide.

Comment

• STEbbq
      STEbbq commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah I agree. I had not finished my cup of coffee yet but I realize now you’d still need the Joule to do the cook as I originally thought this kit did all of the work. Definitely seems not needed in retrospect.

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      STEbbq yeah I think it is just Thermoworks trying to sell more thermometers and probes. No problem with that, as that is what they do. I wouldn't bite though in this case. I wouldn't mind one of those waterproof needle probes however.

There's one born every minute.

Comment

• STEbbq
      STEbbq commented
      Editing a comment
      Definitely a whoops on my part!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here