Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smokenator(SN) vx SnS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smokenator(SN) vx SnS

I would like to compare these two Platinum rated accessories for the Weber kettles. First the SN extends less into the kettle. Allowing a larger smoking area. It will hold 5-6 hours of coals. And as suggested on their forum a larger water pan hold a quart of water equal to the SNS. The SNS extends 1.5 inches more into the kettle than the SN a significant amount when smoking a large brisket or 2 butts. The SnS is only 8 1/2" wide barely wide enough for any steak I cook and if your smoking why would you heat it up to sear a steak. While it holds more coals and can for a smoke an extra 2 two hours really doesn't mean a lot to me. I'll keep my SN for smoking and build a hot fire for a reverse sear for cooking steaks.
    Last edited by mountainsmoker; July 16, 2019, 01:11 AM.

mountainsmoker Before the SnS came out I was too cheap to buy the Smokenator so I used a couple of fire brick and a loaf pan to try and replicate the Smokenator...and it worked for me at the time. The beauty of the fire bricks was I could adjust them for the amount of charcoal I wanted to use at the time. Once the SnS came out I purchased one and found it was more efficient than my fire brick method, especially for the long, low and slow cooks. These days I have relegated the SnS to the 22" Weber and use the 26.75" Weber for my everyday cooks. I have ditched the fire bricks, but I still bank the charcoal to one side in the 26.75" so I have more searing room than what a SnS will provide.

Comment

You're certainly entitled to your opinion and have every right to buy whatever product you want. Just wanted to fact check your statement so others are not misled. First the Smokenator was given a Silver review by Max Good while the SNS was given Platinum, not both.

Secondly, numerous other organizations have given the SNS better ratings and reviews such as the Weber Kettle Club;

What is the Slow N Sear? The Slow N Sear is a multi-function charcoal divider for the Weber charcoal grill. The Slow N Sear dramatically improves the cooking experience for both grilling and smoking on the Weber kettle. The Slow N Sear sits snugly into the Weber kettle grill and creates a perfect two-zone setup. […]

and the Smoked BBQ Source;

Many charcoal grill owners do not know that you can can use your grill as a smoker and create delicious smoked meats with just a little know-how and some patience. Give low and slow barbecue a go without investing in a dedicated smoker.

as well as several YouTube comparison videos. Again you have every right to an opinion, let's just keep things factual. Numerous sources would disagree with your assessment. To each his own.

Comment

Originally posted by mountainsmoker View Post
        I would like to compare these two Platinum rated accessories for the Weber kettles. First the SN extends less into the kettle. Allowing a larger smoking area. It will hold 5-6 hours of coals. And as suggested on their forum a larger water pan hold a quart of water equal to the SNS. The SNS extends 1.5 inches more into the kettle than the SN a significant amount when smoking a large brisket or 2 butts. The SnS is only 8 1/2" wide barely wide enough for any steak I cook and if your smoking why would you heat it up to sear a steak. While it holds more coals and can for a smoke an extra 2 two hours really doesn't mean a lot to me. I'll keep my SN for smoking and build a hot fire for a reverse sear for cooking steaks.
        Not sure this has to be an either-or. Both work, and you can cook just fine without them if you don't want to pay for the convenience they offer.

Comment

mountainsmoker I have been averaging 10-12 hours at 225F smoking overnight with my Slow 'N Sear, using good quality hardwood charcoal. I only see reload times of 7-8 hours with standard economy briquettes. I'll take sleeping overnight while my brisket or butts cook, versus getting up to check the fire.

The other thing you are missing is that the easy of reloading the Smokenator versus the SnS. The Smokenator pretty much requires you to pull all of it out, I would imagine, since it is holding the charcoal against the sidewall of the kettle. The SnS, you can rake the coals to one end, and refuel quickly.

The other issue that I've read over on the Weber Kettle Club is relating to the fact that the Smokenator uses the sidewall of the kettle to hold the charcoal. Apparently, some people have found that to warp the kettle or damage it over time, especially using lump charcoal. The SnS gives you an extra wall between the fire and the side of the kettle - I try to leave a slight gap between them just to keep the heat away from the kettle side wall.

As far as searing, I've not personally seen a steak that is larger than the SNS! Maybe you were turning them the wrong way, haha. My process for steaks is to light a chimney of charcoal, and dump it in the SNS. I then let the steaks come up to temp (120ish) on the far side of the kettle, away from the SNS. Once they hit that temp, I open the lid, and start flipping the steaks directly over the still red hot coals in the SNS, and get a nice sear on them. They are done at 135 (145 for my wife!).

Comment

• Dadof3Illinois
            Dadof3Illinois commented
            Editing a comment
            Try wearing your steaks over the hot chimney before dumping the coals into the SnS. I’ve been doing this for steaks and even burgers. I seem to always over cook if I sear at the end,

A few observations, with the caveat that I own a SNS XL and have never used a smokenator (just read about it and watched videos of it in action):
          • The design of the SNS with the vertical water reservoir seems superior, as it provides both moisture AND a thermal barrier reducing hot spots. I have placed meat right up to the edge of it and noticed no ill effects due to higher heat exposure.
          • It certainly looks like the SNS is easier to refill if needed, particularly if you own the EasySpin grate. Given the advertised smoke time, the Smokenator would also need to be refilled more often on longer smokes (butts, briskets, etc.) compounding the issue. I've only had to refill my SNS XL once, when I was cooking three pork butts. This, to me, is a big advantage.
          • You posed the question "...if your smoking why would you heat it up to sear a steak"? My answer would be, for a reasonably thick steak (1.5 - 2", and it really wouldn't even have to be just a steak as I've done this with a prime rib roast) I'd prefer to slowly bring it up to temp prior to a reverse sear. The SNS allows for all of this on the same load of fuel, just open up that lid and let 'er breathe for a few minutes before searing. And (yet another accessory win) the custom cut grill grates on top of the SNS make for a screaming hot sear zone. Sure you can accomplish this other ways as you noted, but you asked the question, that'd be my answer.

FWIW

Comment

I posted this comment on another thread:

The biggest difference for me between the Smokenator and the SnS is the versatility. The Smokenator is designed exclusively for smoking and it does a good job of it. It also leaves a bit more real estate on the grate for more meat. That's where the advantages end. When I used the Smokenator over the first four hours I'd have added water 4 times and knocked the ash off with that little rod twice. With the SnS over the first four hours I do nothing save for maybe a couple of vent adjustments but that was the case with the Smokenator too. As a smoker with the SnS it runs longer before needing to refuel and refueling is much easier than the Smokenator.

Now, here is the really important part, at least for me: The SnS also excells at 2-zone grilling. I don't know about the rest of you but I do a lot more grilling than smoking. Now, you might say, 'That's what the charcoal baskets are for.' I suppose. A couple of problems with that though. One, the baskets are designed to build a fire on both sides with the meat in the middle. I've found the kettle cooks better with the fire at one side and the food at the other and put the top vent opposite the fire. Also, because the SnS channels the heat from the fire directly up it creates a nuclear hot sear zone, which is optimal. Some higher end gas grills have an infrared burner for the same purpose.

Comment

• FireMan
              FireMan commented
              Editing a comment
              Yup! My thoughts exactly, all of em. 🕶

Originally posted by Troutman View Post
            You're certainly entitled to your opinion and have every right to buy whatever product you want. Just wanted to fact check your statement so others are not misled. First the Smokenator was given a Silver review by Max Good while the SNS was given Platinum, not both.

Secondly, numerous other organizations have given the SNS better ratings and reviews such as the Weber Kettle Club;

http://weberkettleclub.com/blog/2018...-buyers-guide/

and the Smoked BBQ Source;

https://www.smokedbbqsource.com/setu...l-for-smoking/

as well as several YouTube comparison videos. Again you have every right to an opinion, let's just keep things factual. Numerous sources would disagree with your assessment. To each his own.
            I think we have talked about facts vs opinions here before... lmao

Click image for larger version  Name:	56CFEBE0-34C4-4CF0-B5E6-BA3BEDD73E5F.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	43.5 KB ID:	714953

Comment

• Steve R.
              Steve R. commented
              Editing a comment
              My mind is made up, so don't try to confuse me with facts!

• Attjack
              Attjack commented
              Editing a comment
              Those are all opinions.

Comment

• grantgallagher
              grantgallagher commented
              Editing a comment
              Maybe im too young, but i prefer the pun from die hard 2 where mclane has to send a fax and flashes the wedding ring. "Just the fax maam, just the fax"

Originally posted by jfmorris View Post
            mountainsmoker I have been averaging 10-12 hours at 225F smoking overnight with my Slow 'N Sear, using good quality hardwood charcoal. I only see reload times of 7-8 hours with standard economy briquettes. I'll take sleeping overnight while my brisket or butts cook, versus getting up to check the fire.
            @jfmoris as a guy who just got a SnS can you provide an example of "quality hardwood charcoal" versus "standard economy briquettes"? I have using Kingsford blue bag to date, but would be interested in experimenting with other brands.

Comment

• efincoop
              efincoop commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you gentlemen! I may try some lump charcoal as I have some for my Vision kamado. I suspect it may burn a little hotter & require some experimentation with the vent settings, but part of the fun is the experimentation factor!

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              I'd just stick with KBB, works well, repeatable results, cheap. You certainly can use more expensive lump or other premium charcoals, But you might find it to be a waste of money versus the gain in results that you'll see.

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              I thought we had a post on this about a year or so ago. The conclusion from what I recall is that the lump, having so many dissimilar shapes, left too many air pockets and didn't work well in the SNS. Made sense to me at the time, stick with briquettes.

I don't know how others feel about them, but I have had good luck using the Kingsford Professional(competition?) briquets that I get at Costco. They do burn hotter, but I have been able to figure out my vent settings to adjust for that, and get some pretty long cooks out of them, about 10-12 hours sometimes. They don't create as much ash as KBB either, which helps keep the temp more steady.

Comment

• Mosca
              Mosca commented
              Editing a comment
              Honest to goodness, I'm sure there's a difference, but I don't pay close enough attention to notice it. Most of my briquette cooks are grilling, and the cook is over long before the briquettes are spent.

I own both the SnS and the Smokenator. As far as accessories go, in my opinion, the SnS is far superior for the reasons described above versus the Smokenator. I have other smokers that I use for long cooks so the kettle doesn't get used much for that anymore. In fact, since I got my PK360, my kettles are not getting much use at all anymore.

Comment

• crazytown3
              crazytown3 commented
              Editing a comment
              The PK360 is on my very short list for future purchases. It's hard to find used ones, around these parts anyway.

Let's throw this thing into the mix.

Click image for larger version  Name:	61vi5PTQCCL._SL1200_.jpg Views:	1 Size:	115.6 KB ID:	715084

Click image for larger version

Name:	61QQVFfhmPL._SL1200_.jpg
Views:	507
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	715115

Name:	613egA8K1hL._SL1200_.jpg
Views:	518
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	715116

Name:	51c8jcOHOKL._SL1200_.jpg
Views:	523
Size:	16.4 KB
ID:	715117

https://www.amazon.com/only-fire-Sta...gateway&sr=8-2
            Last edited by Attjack; July 16, 2019, 01:32 PM.

Comment

• Attjack
              Attjack commented
              Editing a comment
              I hear you Huskee but Only Fire makes some good stuff. If they violate any patents I certainly hope they are held legally responsible. I know they ripped off the SnS and I assume they were told to cease and desist. But if you're suggesting none of us should be buying cheap stuff from China I'm going to have to wish us all a lot of luck!

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              Attjack, No, lol. Only obvious knockoffs from ill-will companies. Personally I have nothing against supporting other honest humans regardless of what chunk of dirt they live on or where the device was built. My opinion is my own anyway, no one else's. Just pointing out that these knockoffs might deserve a pause.

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              Dang that's one big ass Vortex, bet that then would blast a hole in the kettle lid !!

Personally, more and more I prefer no basket. But if I do use a basket I like the tight fit of the SnS to the kettle. I don't like wasted space. But again, no basket provides a tight fit, and a snake provides consistent temps and a long smoke. As for a water pan, I prefer a water pan to the SnS trough. I have zero experience with the smokenator.

Comment

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              Actually it shouldn't have a tight fit, you should leave it about a half inch away from the kettle wall. The reason for that is that airspace helps create an insulation layer. Now if you live in a hot climate it might not matter to you, but if you have any cold weather the SnS is designed to be set away from the kettle wall a little. Efficiency!

• Attjack
              Attjack commented
              Editing a comment
              Huskee I leave space for airflow but compared to the weber baskets it's a tight fit.

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              I just bought a Jumbo SNS for my new 26" (will have to post a pic of my new baby soon) and noticed on the back side it has enough of a lip that you are prevented from mashing it to hard against the wall of the kettle. That is good advice Huskee, don't risk warping your kettle wall.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here