Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SnS / DnG temp control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SnS / DnG temp control

Hi all,
    I apologize if this info is already posted somewhere. I was wondering approximately how many briquettes/vent settings people use to establish temps for the following.

-low temp for a short, reverse sear cook.

-Cold grate searing on the back end of the reverse sear.

- 350-400 for using the DnG for cooking breakfast
    foods.

Also, what's the highest temp you would want on the DnG? I've heard they can warp if too hot.

thanks!
    Pete

Ok, this is somewhat a tough question, but let me try and answer how I use my SNS+DNG on my Performer.

1. Low temp for a shot, reverse sear cook.

I actually don't follow the crowd on this one. What I do is put close to a full chimney of hot coals into the SNS, and put my steaks on the far side of the grill from the SNS, with a probe in one of them. Sure, the dome temp may hit 350, but it is much cooler than that at grate level. It typically takes a cold steak a good 30 to 45 minutes to reach around 120F. At that point, I take the lid off, and start searing steaks 2 at a time directly over the SNS.

Basically I am too lazy to setup for a 225 low and slow for smoking the steaks, then also light a chimney of briquettes for the sear. While I have done it that way, I find my shortcut method above to work pretty well.

2. Cold grate searing on the back end of the reverse sear.

I don't have the Easy Spin grate, and its too hard to do it without picking up the grate. With it being as high as 1100F according to my IR over the coals in the SNS, I'm not too worried about it, and I just flip the steaks every 30 seconds or so during the sear. I do plan to purchase a Easy Spin once my MCS (More Cooker Syndrome) moratorium period runs out (after I pay for 2 weddings on 9/29/18 and 1/19/19).

3. 350-400 for using the DnG for cooked breakfast foods.

This one is easy. Dump a 1/2 chimney of lit coals (no more!) into the SNS, put the DNG over it, and close the lid to preheat. I enjoy using my DNG as a griddle not just for breakfast, but for things like shrimp scampi and fish. The scampi is easy - just melt a stick of butter on the DNG, toss the shrimp on, and sprinkle with garlic salt liberally...

4. Highest temp on DNG

I don't think you want to get much higher than 350-400. Adrenaline BBQ (paging BBQ Dave ) says pretty clearly not to put more than 1/2 chimney (half full SNS) under the DNG. I've also put my DNG on my Weber Genesis grill for cooking as well, and it works great there too.

Comment

• goosebr160
      goosebr160 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the info jfmorris! I ended up putting my DnG on my summit gasser yesterday to cook breakfast just because I wasn't sure about the charcoal. I will try with half a chimney on the kettle next time.

• JGo37
      JGo37 commented
      Editing a comment
      Just get the Easy Spin listed on one of the registries!
      Last edited by JGo37; September 3, 2018, 11:45 AM.

I put a gasket on my 22 and my coals go out easily, and get reused without issue. So I'll tackle short low and slow too: I use the smaller Weber chimney about 2/3's full, ~ 12 coals. I toss a Weber lighting cube in the middle of the chimney - it takes me two or three scoops to fill it - and after only about 5 minutes I dump it in the Weber charcoal basket - I use one - and I imagine this would be the same with the SnS. I put a couple hunks of hickory above the coals on the upper grate. When I'm done, I shut it down. There's usually about a third of the coals left each time. The one basket starts out about full.

The dome temp with the lower damper 1/4 open or less indicates 350F. The air probe on the grate indicates 210F. If I can get it to 400F, the grate shows 225F. If it starts to drop more, I take the hickory off the grate and add it to the basket. That always recovers the temp for a couple hours.

I put a 3/8" smidge of Irish butter on the indirect before searing, and crumble a bit of brown sugar as it melts. I flip it to the sear, do the same on the up side, and about a minute later flip it over. 45 seconds later I pull it.

This shows the coals and hickory, similar (in my mind) to SnS, before I added the gasket, probe grommet, and second shelf.

This is working so well, I haven't sprung for the SnS yet. I did ribs yesterday, and put a brisket on today.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Spatch Chicken & Riblets.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	560577

I can't help you with the DnG, although I do want one for the lower grate to smoke large poultry - capon, turkey. I scored a BlackStone on sale, so don't use the kettle for griddle work. I do have a gourmet grate and vortex, and do chicken hot and fast. With the vortex i'm thinking the dome shows 500F - I'd have to load it and look again. That's later in the week - chicken quarters.

If I want smoke on say, shrimp, I use a wok over the vortex, and add a chunk of mesquite. I usually get teared up doing this, and need a fan outside. When it really smokes up I close the lid for 1 minute.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here