Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I think I messed up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think I messed up

So, tried to be hero today smoking 3 racks if ribs on my Weber 22 with the SNS. I had the temp dialed at 250, put in the ribs on a rib rack and then went off to run some errands. Was going to be out for 2 hours. Was monitoring the temp and it started to increase rapidly to 300. Had my wife adjust the top vent, but that just kept the temp from going higher. Was at 300 for 1 hour.. and when I got back, the top of the ribs looked charred. I think that’s from the sugar in the rub.

The other thing was that after 3 hours, most of the charcoal was gone. I thought the SNS can go for 5-6 hours and maybe more. I had the top vent at 1/2 open and bottom vent at 1/4 open. Started with 12 lit coals, the rest of the sns with unlit charcoal and boiling water in the reservoir. What about I have done different?

EDIT: Added a picture of final product. Looks good but still not happy with outcome. Probably would have done better with a snake.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by sigaris; February 13, 2022, 03:11 PM.

If they aren't burnt burnt or over cooked, then a light scrape and some sauce should save 'em. I woulda sent my wife on errands and or I would have made sure it was riding steady at the desired temp. Good luck!

BTW if they are trashed, it's still a great memory. Every year until you die your friends will be like "remember that one time you burned the ribs" it will be synonymous with whatever amazing memorable play(s) we see tonight.

Comment

What charcoal being used? Unusual for only a 3 hour burn. Looks like you were following the SnS guidelines for temp control. I've not had much success with that. I have bottom almost closed and regulate top till I get the temp in range. I like it a bit higher about 275ish. I've learned not to fret over temp that much. Now with the PBJ I don't think ribs will done on the Kettle.

Comment

• sigaris
      sigaris commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks.. yes was using their guidelines and was using Kingsford Professional. I did have a few chunks of cherry embedded in the bed of coals. Maybe they contributed to the faster burn. But also my bottom vent was 1/4 open. I think I need to make sure it’s only open very slightly going forward. Also it is 90 degrees here in LA, so I’m sure that helped as well.

Looks like a scrap, sauce for the save.
    You are not alone. I have never burned ribs, but overcook a rack into mush, bones fell out, fall apart ribs.

Time for the big fake, "I thought that is the way you liked them."

If that does not work, it is time to play the blame game. It's the wife's fault, it's the kids' fault, or the dog ate the recipe.

It may be best to blame the pit, "That stupid grill malfunctioned. I guess I need another one just for ribs, a rib grill."

I just tell SWMBO, "It's the PBR, I need to go to the store and get some more."
    Last edited by bbqLuv; February 13, 2022, 04:51 PM.

Comment

• sigaris
      sigaris commented
      Editing a comment
      You made my day!

My initial response, it wasn’t the SnS. Shoot, that’s my second response as well. Nuff said from here.

Comment

• sigaris
      sigaris commented
      Editing a comment
      #UserError

Lemony Snickets
    dont look to bad in those pics, some char but a lot of mahogany too
    May be a bit dry, if you have time give them a crutch with some beer and bbq sauce
    Then more bbq sauce

Comment

• Jfrosty27
      Jfrosty27 commented
      Editing a comment
      Bbq sauce. The great equalizer.

Maybe the lid wasn't seated properly. I've had that happen before.

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      I have that issue on my Performer. The lid only seats well in one orientation, if I rotate it 90 from that, it leaks smoke, and presumably draws more air through the grill due to the leaks. In my cases its obviously out of round. I just make sure to put the lid in the orientation I know seals best.

Was this your first time using the SNS? I've never ever had a burn time that short unless intentionally doing hot and fast for poultry, and running at 350+. When you say 1/4 open on the bottom vent, are you going by the position of the level itself, or do you know where the lever is in relation to the actual vent opening with those blades down in the bottom? Back when I started using the SNS I put a couple of sharpie marks on the ash holder area to mark 1/4, 1/3, and 1/2 open in relation to that handle under the grill, based on looking down through the grill. Those marks have long ago worn off, but I know where to put it now, and have to speculate that you were open more than you thought you were.

I will comment that I often use a rib rack. When standing the ribs on edge like that in the kettle, the upper edge of the ribs is exposed to about 50F higher than the edge against the grate. I flip the ribs end to end halfway through the cook, and also swap the ones closest and farthest from the fire at the same time - usually about 2 hours into the cook.

I do think it seems your sugary rub likely burned a little, and its likely if you were monitoring the grate level temp to be 300F, that the temp at that top edge of the ribs in the rib rack was closer to 350F or 375 even.

I would have just added sauce to these ribs to disguise the surface during the end of the cook, and happily eaten them! But if you did not flip them end to end in the rib rack, that edge that was up would be way more done than the edge that was down.

Comment

• Mosca
      Mosca commented
      Editing a comment
      The question "First time?" is the one I thought too. If so, your mistake was leaving it unattended.

Every kettle is different. For mine, using a snake, I have to close both vents COMPLETELY, and then it holds 240* from the leaking between the halves. But no lower. If I clamp the halves, then just a crack of both top and bottom (with the snake) gets me that 240*. That’s the lowest I can get it.

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      Mosca very true. With my Performer, with a 2x2 snake I could run with the vents wide open to get about 250 at the dome thermometer - I didn't have a grate probe back then. My kettle sealed more tightly when I have the lid oriented right I guess, as the fire would die if I closed all the vents.

I've not done a snake since getting a couple of SNS's, and feel I get superior results with the SNS for sure.

• sigaris
      sigaris commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you very much for your thorough response to my post. All good points that I will use for the next time.

@sigaris were you able to save the day?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here