Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DnG Cast Iron or SS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DnG Cast Iron or SS?

I just received a Slow N'Sear as a birthday gift a few weeks back, and I've really been enjoying it!
    Now I'd like to get a matching griddle, but the introduction of the cast iron version has made my decision a little less clear.

From people who've used them, would there be any advantage to getting Stainless Steel now that the Cast Iron version is available? The only advantage I could think or is being able to leave the SS one in the grill outside.

I was also wondering if using the cast iron version as a drip pan for low and slow cooking would make it any harder to keep temps down, given it's heat retaining properties?

I bought a cast iron one and it's a great pan. 100% recommended. Any extra heat retention should not hurt your temp control.

Comment

The only things I can think of are rust resistance for stainless vs CI and the heat retention. If I was using these over a burner, I'd want stainless for better reactivity to heat changes... but of course that's not an issue here. So, as long as you are ok with seasoning the CI and keeping it seasoned (I'm mostly thinking of the outer sides), eh.

PS: Of course you can put the SS in the dishwasher, the CI, not.
      Last edited by rickgregory; November 13, 2021, 03:33 PM.

Comment

I have the DnG and happy with it. No issues with heat retention. As a griddle C.I. is my goto. A bit more maintenance but it's worth it.

Comment

And just to add to the points mentioned above, if you're planning on griddle cooking the seasoning on cast iron will be better non stick than on SS. You can get a "sort of" seasoning on SS, but it won't be as smooth/effective, nor as durable. With either, if you vary your usage between lower temp and high temp you'll potentially burn off previous seasoning at high temps, so you'll need to re-season the CI when necessary.

Comment

Thanks for the info!
            I think I’ve decided to get the cast iron. Keeping it seasoned doesn’t bother me, and I’d rather not have to worry about the coals being too hot when doing smash burgers and stuff like that.

Comment

• Attjack
              Attjack commented
              Editing a comment
              You've chosen well.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here