Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SNS XL Idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SNS XL Idea

I think a great addition to any SNS but especially the SNS XL would be a removable divider for the charcoal basket area. It would be a removable metal fin that you could use to divide the charcoal side in two. There are many times where I am only cooking a steak or two on my 26 and would love to use only a half chimney. In fact, I have used only a half chimney but the volume of the SNS XL makes the charcoal settle closer to the bottom. It is hard to keep the charcoal packed to one side. I like to have the super hot coals as close to the grill grates as possible. Does anyone else think this would be a good idea? Seems like it would be an inexpensive accessory to make. I'm thinking about fabricating one myself to test.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by SchweinStein; April 21, 2021, 03:20 PM.

I hear what you're saying. I tend to stack mine carefully when doing a partial load. I have used a folded wad of foil before as a ledge, you could always do that.

Comment

Not a bad idea but like Huskee I just jamb a flat ceramic piece from an old clay pot in there as a hack. It would be nice to have a removable piece of gauge metal but not something I'd use that often.

Comment

Good idea. Another good idea is to use bricks either in place of a SnS or a brick in your XL SnS to divide as you wish.

Comment

I'm all for home made solutions and will try something like that for now. I personally don't like to stack when searing/grilling. I think the randomness of the charcoal creates better airflow and hotter temps.

To me the SNS is a really nice looking piece of gear, so I would be interested in a nice attractive stainless that matches the SNS and still allows good airflow. If SNS offered a divider like this I'd pony up $20-30.

Comment

It sounds like you need a 22" kettle or maybe a Smokey Joe!

Comment

• Attjack
              Attjack commented
              Editing a comment
              The struggle is real!

• SchweinStein
              SchweinStein commented
              Editing a comment
              haha - I've got both already! 26" is my daily driver.

Just go to the wife's china cabinet and grab an old saucer or something else that never gets used. It should work.....once.

Comment

That piece of metal would get super hot, and you know someone would pick it up with their bare hand. Cause, they just would. lol

Comment

• SchweinStein
                SchweinStein commented
                Editing a comment
                "you never told me the metal would get hot!"

It's not a bad idea. However, you can achieve comparable results by carefully pouring into one side of the SnS and then use a pair of tongs or some other object to push the charcoal to one side of the basket to create a nice tight fire on one side. When I build partials it's never the exact same amount and given that the SnS has a constantly variable radius a metal divider would have to go right in the middle. Sometimes, I want 3/4 chimney....it all depends on what I'm cooking and what size fire I am looking for.

Comment

I just tell my bricks, "Stay"! & they do, most of the time. Sometimes they get a little rowdy.

Comment

I bought the SNS XL and in my initial two weeks of grilling am still overloading it and getting WAY too much heat no matter now small I set the vents. Yeah, I'm a blockhead. Will try the ceramic/brick hacks. At the same time, my 26" Weber came with two small SNS-like baskets. Ever use those? Might work well for a couple of steaks if you don't want to fool with a hack. Or a welding torch

Comment

• HawkerXP
                    HawkerXP commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I use those Weber baskets when I don't need a full SnS or need heat in two zones.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here