Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SnS Sear Temperatures at the grate above coals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SnS Sear Temperatures at the grate above coals?

I just got my Slow n Sear and am using it for the first time tonight. I’m doing a quick dry run now to burn off the new metal smell. Wow! Does it get hot! I only filled it halfway with coals for the dry run. I put my Thermo Pro on the grate above the coals, about 4” from the coals to grate, to see how hot it got. It error messaged at 575*. Has anyone measured their grill temp at the grate above the coals on their SnS? Just wondering how hot it gets on the grate right there. Thanks
    Last edited by Panhead John; September 24, 2020, 04:56 PM.

shoot the grate with a laser?

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. I’ve used one before, but don’t have one. I need to get that. They’re also good for checking a/c temps from your ceiling vents.

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      Panhead John, just be sure to check the range of the infra red thermometer that you end up getting. I got one from Lowe's and the max temp was 608°, which is not high enough for some searing surfaces. The Maverick IR thermometer I subsequently bought goes up to 1022°.

Just FYI.

Kathryn

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Kathryn. Yeah, when I went to Amazon there were several with ranges from 650 - 1200. I was gonna get the one that went up to 1200*. Until I saw it was like $250. I didn’t need to know that bad.
      I know it’s gonna be around 1000* or so. Good enough for me! 😂

Above the coals? Nuclear hot.

Comment

Originally posted by Panhead John View Post
      I put my Thermo Pro on the grate above the coals, about 4” from the coals to grate, to see how hot it got. It error messaged at 575*. Has anyone measured their grill temp at the grate above the coals on their SnS? Just wondering how hot it gets on the grate right there. Thanks
      That is a good way to destroy a probe! Try to avoid ever putting a probe or the probe wire directly above the charcoal.

I use my IR thermometer to check the temp over the coals when searing with the SNS, and we are talking about 1000F+ of radiant heat, at the grate level above the SNS. Way above the temp rating for any wired probe I've ever seen.
      Last edited by jfmorris; September 26, 2020, 06:53 AM.

Comment

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep. I might have ruined it. I’ll find out on my next brisket cook. If I did ruin it, it’s ok. I was gonna upgrade one day anyway.

What a newbie!

Comment

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        Word on the street is.......you were seen standing in line for Justin Bieber tickets. HawkerXP

• HawkerXP
        HawkerXP commented
        Editing a comment
        I scored two in the mosh pit!

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        😂😂😂.........Lucky Bastard!

Panhead John I've got this Maverick IR - works well for what I use it for:

LT-04 Laser Thermometer Readings in ºF or ºC Large bright LCD with backlight Measures temp without contact Laser pointer for accurate aim Measures (-44 F to 1200 F) Accurate up to 5' away 9V Battery Included AmazingRibs.com Temp Magnet FREE

Measures up to 1200F.

Comment

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        Panhead John can you get replacements for your Thermopro? No need to replace the unit if you just need a new probe?

I have a Thermoworks Smoke, with the optional Wifi gateway, but find myself pulling it up less and less on my phone. I am sure others here will tell you to get a Fireboard if you want access from your phone, but it starts up around $179 I think.

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Jim! I was gonna check into a replacement probe, don’t know if I need it yet. Haven’t tested it. But as usual, some very helpful information from you! Thanks

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        I’ll be darn! The ThermoPro still works! Just lit my fire for my chuckie cook today. All is good! jfmorris ecowper
        Last edited by Panhead John; September 27, 2020, 08:43 AM.

Panhead John don’t know what it does on the SnS, I will have to check my daughter’s to find out. But on my Hasty-Bake, with lump charcoal, firebox up to the grates, and using Grill Grates, I get 980-1000 F per my IR thermometer .... That’s what I call a righteous steak grill right there.

Comment

Panhead John I love the FireBoard. 6 probes. Data goes to "the cloud" and to your phone, tablet, computer, etc. Can run a fan if you decide you want one. I’ve actually monitored cooks on my Hasty-Bake and WSM at the same time. ..... tons of folks really love FireBoard.

Comment

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          It’s just me by myself for most of my cooks. Do they come with less probes? I only need 2. And I’ve seen The Fireboard mentioned a lot here.

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          You should be able to buy it with less than all six probes. You can buy 1 probe at a time. I’ve had my FireBoard for 3.5 years, or so, and only ever lost one probe. My own fault, I yanked on it a bit too hard.

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks! Gonna check em out now.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here