Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Top Mods for a Weber 22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing the hinge for the lid is one of my favorite mods.

Comment

I have a 26” kettle with several mods/accessories.
      What I have and in the order I would buy again.
      1. Cover
      2. Lid Gasket
      3. Fireboard
      4. Pit viper fan
      5. Vortex
      6. SnS
      7. Pizza Stone

Other accessories I’m considering:
      1. Lid Hinge
      2. Rotisserie
      3. Santa Maria
      4. Grill Grates

Comment

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        You should consider adding an extra handle before you add a hinge. It accomplishes the same end result. Effortless single handed opening and closing.

The Vortex produces remarkable chicken wing cooks----worth it if that's all you ever use it for.

Comment

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        I think I got a top vent handle replacement.

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        jpietrantone Whoops I thought you had asked about the extra handle I installed. For a 22" kettle shoot for about 12" diameter at the base, 8" diameter at the top, and make it 5" tall.

• jpietrantone
        jpietrantone commented
        Editing a comment
        Attjack no problem...thanks!

Here's all the mods I have done so far for my 26 including the additional handle on the lid. @jpietrantone

I finally got these installed. I look forward to the next cook on this kettle. It's been a long time. The port. Click image for larger version Name: 20200503_191442.jpg Views: 11 Size: 1.79 MB ID: 841511 The fan. Click image for larger version Name: 20200503_150143.jpg Views: 11 Size: 1.56 MB ID: 841510 I installed it

Comment

• jpietrantone
        jpietrantone commented
        Editing a comment
        Attjack I see you have a DigiQ. How do you like it? I have one coming in today. I'm having a hard time bringing myself to drilling holes in my kettle. Just have to get over it.

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        jpietrantone I like it a lot. I know there are newer controllers out there but the DigiQ gets the job done very well. I got mine thrown into the deal when I bought my Kamado. It definitely wasn't easy drilling that first hole in the kettle but each hole was easier to drill. Just make sure you know where they need to be placed and it should work out fine!

It's not a "mod" unless it involves at least 1 power tool, and 3 trips to the hardware store.

Comment

Kettle Pizza, Arteflame insert and rotisserie ring. I have them and really like them. You can also get a Santa Maria accessory.

Comment

Originally posted by BFlynn View Post
          It's not a "mod" unless it involves at least 1 power tool, and 3 trips to the hardware store.
          and maybe an Urgent Care center...

Comment

• BFlynn
            BFlynn commented
            Editing a comment
            Be sure to wear your safety goggles.

You got plenty of extra fingers, but only 2 eyeballs

I removed the lousy ash catcher frisbee on my basic Weber kettle and replaced it with the removable bucket style. I've also added a lid thermometer near the vent, drilled out a port for deck and meat thermo probes and, just today, added an original SnS...just in time for a Labor Day surprise birthday party rib and chicken cook!!!

Comment

• jpietrantone
            jpietrantone commented
            Editing a comment
            JaySwen I changed that out a few years ago myself. The original ash catcher was junk, especially if grilling on a wood deck during a drought.

• JaySwen
            JaySwen commented
            Editing a comment
            jpietrantone that sounds like a disaster waiting to happen...

My top 2 mods? aside from an SnS, which ya oughtta already have, git yerself a couple pimp ass custom handles, an some stainless steel grates.

After that, it's all yerself, Brother...Sail that ship!

Holler, if'n ya gots questions; practically 24/7 Help coverage, here !

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            Agree! I have both the engraved pimp handles and SS grates. The SS grates are, in my opinion, a necessity and should be stock equip on the smaller kettles as it is on the 26".

• jpietrantone
            jpietrantone commented
            Editing a comment
            Mr. Bones Yes, I just got the SnS. It did an awesome job searing some steaks on its maiden cook. What's the advantage of Stainless Steel grates? The grill is over 12 years old and will probably need a new grate in the near future.

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            jpietrantone No rust, easier to clean, last forever. And if you get SnSGrills' EasySpin Grate you won't regret it! Custom designed to work with the SnS, much handier than even Weber's hinged SS grate.

Drill probe ports, stainless grate when the original passes on.

Comment

Is there an accessory lid holder for the 22" Weber Original Premium ? I can never find the stupid hook when I want to quickly open the cover to check or adjust things. It's always on the wrong side. I guess something like the one on the new SnS kettle.
            Last edited by BruceB; September 3, 2020, 05:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCullip View Post
              For me it’s the SlowNSear insert and the FireBoard 2 with Pit Viper fan to give fabulous temperature control.
              Fancy finding you here Richard! I guess fly fishing and bbq go great together?

Comment

• RichardCullip
                RichardCullip commented
                Editing a comment
                Welcome to the pit. Lots of friendly and informative folks hang out here.

• RonB
                RonB commented
                Editing a comment
                Welcome to The Pit.

• jpietrantone
                jpietrantone commented
                Editing a comment
                Welcome!

Just in the past few weeks i got back into the weber kettle...really had forgotten just what a cooker it is..i have made several mods to the 2 i now have
              new temp gauge on opposite side top
              probe port
              gasket on lid
              SNS with Dip pan
              Vent handle
              Extra lid handle
              Arteflame
              Spin grate
              Side tables
              i am thinking i made build a table in the close future..

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here