Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rotisserie with SnS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rotisserie with SnS?

Hello, I have the Slow-n-Sear Deluxe and was considering adding the Weber Rotisserie to my 22" kettle. Most of the rotisserie setups show coals on both sides. DoeseDoes anyone haveuhave any experience usingtusing S-n-S with a rotisserie and if so, what is the recommended set up?

Put a pan in the middle to catch the juices and pile coals on either side
    simple and cheap

Comment

I have both the charcoal baskets and an original SnS. I have used both with the rotisserie and have not found much difference in the finished product. The main difference is that I can move the baskets closer or farther away to adjust how the skin cooks. But with the deluxe SnS, you can move it if necessary.

I do normally use the baskets and put a disposable narrow tray between the baskets so I can have heat on both sides. Give it a try and decide for yourself. If you keep an eye on the chix, you should not have a problem.

BTW - I have been thinking about using the vortex with the rotisserie. I'll just move it as close to the side as possible and let her rip.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Lookin forward to yer Vortisserie Cook, Brother!

• Andrrr
        Andrrr commented
        Editing a comment
        When you first said using the vortex with the rotisserie I envisioned putting it wide side up directly under the chicken and line coals around the outside. Could even put foil inside the vortex to catch drippings?
        But a good ol aluminum pan works just as well.

I think using the SNS with the rotisserie should work just fine. The SNS will hold more coals than the Weber baskets, but since the bird is spinning anyway, I don't think it matters that the heat is on one side or both sides. I would follow the lighting instructions for 350F and fill the SNS about halfway with unlit charcoal, then top with a half chimney of lit charcoal to fill it the rest of the way, and run with all vents wide open if spinning a bird.

I don't have the kettle rotisserie, but do have the one for the Genesis II 4 burner, and wish I had got the one for the kettle instead...

Comment

Works just fine with the SnS. Look at the huge number of gassers these days that have a burner at the back of the interior specifically for rotisserie cooking. That's also heat only on one side.

Comment

I rotisserie on my gas grill with an infrared burner at the back and it works just fine. It should work fine.

Comment

I don't have a 22", but I use the SNS charcoal basket in my 18" with rotisserie and it works OK. But, like RonB , I prefer the Weber charcoal basket(s) because of the ability to move it to directly under the rotisserie for searing. For the rotisserie ring tha I have, the skewer goes through some pretty large holes, so temperature for low is difficult to control due to uncontrollable air flow.

Comment

I have the exact same setup you're describing and have used it successfully many times. You'll have to remember to take into account the ring that the rotisserie sits in greatly increases the interior volume so you can't rely on your typical SNS charcoal load-outs/temp range. I usually put a layer of unlit charcoal banked against one side of the SNS and put about 3/4 of a chimney lit into the other. When the temperature steadies out I load in the birds.
              I've never used the charcoal baskets so I don't know how the volume compares, but one SNS load has always been enough to cook whatever I was rotisserie...ing.
              The only downside is the lack of space for the foil drip pan. You can fit a small one under there beside the SNS, but most standard sizes are a little awkard. I usually fashion one out of heavy-duty aluminum foil to catch the drippings. That may be where the charcoal baskets out-class the SNS.

Comment

I just ordered the Cajun Bandit Rotisserie for my 22" Weber kettle. I actually never got the Weber baskets, just ordered the SNS when I was getting the kettle. So my rotisserie will be used with the sns. Can always slide it in a little more if I want more direct heat. If I want to do the two outside piles, I'll probably just stack up two piles around a drip pan of some sort. Check out this thread: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...isserie-to-buy The setup discussion is good.

Comment

Last time I used the rotisserie (Thanksgiving at the in-laws) I just banked the coals to one side and put a drip pan under the turkey. Sucker cooked incredibly fast - less than 2 hours. I think banking the coals will work better than the SnS because the point of the rotisserie is exposure to radiant heat. The SnS directs the heat straight up.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2495.JPG
Views:	890
Size:	147.6 KB
ID:	872156

Name:	IMG_2497.JPG
Views:	877
Size:	141.9 KB
ID:	872157

Comment

Name:	20200627_160115(0).jpg
Views:	872
Size:	217.5 KB
ID:	872172 just did tried it first time on Saturday, it worked well, i just put a chimney full of coals in the sns and let it go vents wide open, i over cooked the rotisserie ribs a little ,(so keep a close watch) but i had both racks cooked in about 2 hrs and they were good, planning on doing the same setup with a chuck roast in a couple days

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                      Mr. Bones commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Lookin forward to seein yer chuckie spin, amigo!
                      Many thanks fer sharin!

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here