Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SnS? Vortex? Or both?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for all of the advice. I ordered both today in the true MCS/Pit fashion. Flame on!

Comment

My S&S is part of my kettle. It never comes out. Except for the two times I’ve used the Vortex.

Comment

Here's tonight's cook:

Click image for larger version

Name:	P_20200626_182710_HDR[1].jpg
Views:	391
Size:	244.2 KB
ID:	870451

Name:	P_20200626_190830_HDR[1].jpg
Views:	383
Size:	235.7 KB
ID:	870452

It does get hot!

Name:	P_20200626_183220_HDR[1].jpg
Views:	455
Size:	152.8 KB
ID:	870453

Comment

I have both. I used the SNS more, but the Vortex is great for wings. I use it big side up for Flank steak.

Comment

Originally posted by Mosca View Post
            My S&S is part of my kettle. It never comes out. Except for the two times I’ve used the Vortex.
            The SnS comes out of my kettle when I take it to my parent's place "Up North" which is where I relocated my Performer. I also removed it on Father's Day when I used the Arteflame insert.

Comment

I have a XL SnS, a few Poortex baskets, weber baskets, bricks, a hoe for just banking coals which BTW works just fine. If money isn't an issue buy/make them all.

Comment

Yeah I ordered both the SnS and the Vortex. SnS arrived Sat and I used it last night. Love the way it worked. The Vortex arrives tomorrow. Need to go buy some wings I guess. Now I am thinking about a rotisserie for it. Researching throughout the AR site for info. Does the MCS ever end? NOT. 🤣

Comment

• Mosca
                  Mosca commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I got a roti: Cajun Bandit battery powered. It actually works really well. I've made rib roast and whole chickens with it. Both come out great. Its a nice change up.

• Jfrosty27
                  Jfrosty27 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Andrrr thanks for the offer! I may take you up on that! I will let you know.

• Andrrr
                  Andrrr commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Jfrosty27 that’s not an empty promise. Please do. It’s a VERY old (my grandpas) rotisserie but it works the same and I’ve had nothing but great results

First don't guess, get wings ASAP. 2nd question, no it doesn't.

Comment

• Jfrosty27
                  Jfrosty27 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  🤣😂

I have both for my 26” Kettle and really like each one. With that said I can bank charcoal and make an indirect side easy without a SnS but have a really hard time duplicating what the vortex does. My vote is for both if you can but for sure the vortex.

Comment

I have both, but for context I use my SnS (kettle or WSCGC Low Profile) several times per week while the Vortex gets used several times per year.

Comment

I think I may have gone over the top on this, but I attribute it to pandemic MCS. I have a Jumbo Joe and used both the Vortex and the SNS on it. But, with the MCS in high gear I bought a regular Weber 18”. Now I have a dedicated SNS and a dedicated Vortex. Here is an add on to the Vortex that I made from an aluminum Pizza Pan.

Click image for larger version  Name:	E7BA57DD-083C-44D6-BBAF-569AB33483AB.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	88.8 KB ID:	905815Click image for larger version  Name:	C8DCF47E-A4D7-45AE-8856-4D9DAB767A07.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	96.7 KB ID:	905816
                    Last edited by LA Pork Butt; September 5, 2020, 05:45 AM.

Comment

I like your mod. I could see doing that in my kettle to catch the grease/drippings when i do wings and thighs. I’ll have to measure that out. Nice job.

Comment

I have both and agree with Henrik . However, I purchased a 12" wok ring for stir frying outside with our 16" steel wok and it also works as a charcoal ring very nicely. And it gets very hot on charcoal and much hotter with lump. Just did wings using the vortex and finished with the ring to try to crisp them up a little more. I had it running a little hot for about 20 minutes which caused them to get up to 170 20 minutes faster than I anticipated.
                        Last edited by JimLinebarger; September 6, 2020, 03:39 AM.

Comment

I have both and use the Vortex the most. I really only use the Weber for wings using the Vortex so the SnS pretty much goes unused.

Comment

• Jfrosty27
                            Jfrosty27 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            After getting both, I have settled in a similar spot. Really only use the Weber for chicken wings, thighs, and quarters with the Vortex. I've used the SnS just once.

• 70monte
                            70monte commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I bought the SnS and Vortex when they first came out so I've had them for years. Soon after I got the SnS, I bought a PK grill and never really used the Weber or the SnS much after that. I now have a lot of other cookers since my Weber days and prefer using them for either grilling or smoking. If a Weber is someone's only cooker, the SnS and the Vortex is a great addition.

Ok guys, gonna resurrect an old thread to ask Jfrosty27 if he is still using the Vortex more than the SNS.

For some reason out of no where MCS has struck me, and I found myself looking at the Vortexbbq.com website today, where they tell me a medium sized Vortex would be the right fit for my Performer. I assume it might also work on the SNS kamado, since the distance between grates is the same.

I've not done wings in a bit, but we are on a healthy kick and I think I can convince my wife that if they are grilled versus fried, that some wings or some "kettle fried" chicken is in order for the weekend. I'll probably try and fire up the SNS as hot as I can get it this time, but want to know if the Vortex will really up my chicken grilling game enough to justify the $43 for the medium one via Amazon.

Will the "indirect high heat" from the Vortex be that much more even on the cooking area of the kettle grate than the indirect zone using the SNS, if I dump a full chimney of lit coals in the SNS, versus the Vortex?

Also, anyone with the Performer Deluxe and the Vortex - can you set it up with unlit coals and get it going with the propane ignitor, or is it too far out in the center of the charcoal grate for that to work? Right now I use a chimney over the ignitor to light my coals, then pull it out and set on the ground while I setup the SNS, then dump the coals in it. It would be nice if I could skip the chimney step.
                          Last edited by jfmorris; September 9, 2021, 09:48 AM.

Comment

• RonB
                            RonB commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I normally use the Vortex for chicken pieces, but the SnS was in the Kettle one day last week When I decided to cook some chicken pieces, so I fired it up and let it run as hot as it wanted. The results were not as good as with the Vortex. I try to pull chicken breasts at 158°, and, using the SnS, the skin was not as crisp as I like when the breasts reached my target temp. If I had front seared the skin a bit it would have helped, but S&G tends to burn when searing, so I didn't do it.

• Steve R.
                            Steve R. commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I don't have numbers measured with a thermometer to back this up, but my experience has been more even heat along the cooking grate with a Vortex. Everything is going to be a similar distance from the heat, so that makes sense to me. I also get crispier skin using the Vortex.

• jpietrantone
                            jpietrantone commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Dang it...there goes my MCS. We'll see how long I can resist. 😂

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here