Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SnS? Vortex? Or both?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SnS? Vortex? Or both?

I posted a couple days ago that I scored a nice, used, Performer Deluxe kettle. Now after reading many posts here, I am stumped. SnS, Vortex, or both? No budget issues, but don't see the point of buying an item if I really don't need it. So as always, thanks in advance for the shared wisdom.

Well, MCS demands both, but I use the SnS 100
    times more often than the Vortex, so if I have to pick one it’s easy: the SnS.

Comment

Let me think ,,,errrrrrr ,,,,,BOTH !!!!!!!!
      they both work great,,,,,, some things better than the other
      I vortex the heck out of My chicken wings
      SnS the goodness out of reverse searing my steaks

Comment

I would go with the SNS over the Vortex if I had to pick. The Vortex is more of a one trick pony than the SNS. It is great for wings and chicken pieces but not a lot beyond that. But it does do a great job at that one trick. If you cook a lot of wings it can be useful and nice to have. The SNS is great for low, slow cooks as well as searing (hence the name). 90% of the time I use my kettle I am using the SNS in some form or another.

Comment

• RonB
          RonB commented
          Editing a comment
          Ya beat me to it. Almost the exact thing I was gonna say.

To OP - if you like chix with crispy skin, nothing I have tried does it better than the Vortex. If fact, my Vortex and some chix are gonna get cozy tonight.

• HawkerXP
          HawkerXP commented
          Editing a comment
          +2

• Jfrosty27
          Jfrosty27 commented
          Editing a comment
          I just fired mine up for some chicken thighs.

I have both, but my mix of use is in line with JoeSousa .

Comment

I do a lot of wings but wouldn't the SnS do a good job on wings and chicken parts too?

Comment

• RonB
            RonB commented
            Editing a comment
            The SnS does chix well, but the Vortex does chix better.

I have both for my Jumbo Joe, and since it is mostly just my wife and me I use the about equal. Today it will be wings with the Vortex.

Comment

Need you ask?
            see "best on topic" on the non topic post!

Comment

• Jfrosty27
              Jfrosty27 commented
              Editing a comment
              I know. Who am I kidding? I just ordered both. Done deal.

• JoeSousa
              JoeSousa commented
              Editing a comment
              Jfrosty27 You made the right call. When it doubt always buy both. Or even go shopping for a third thing to add to the mix.

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Good Lad...

I don't have a Kettle grill but my understanding is that AR protocol is to say "buy both and a PBC"

Comment

• Jfrosty27
              Jfrosty27 commented
              Editing a comment
              I guess I need a PBC then!🀣

• HawkerXP
              HawkerXP commented
              Editing a comment
              PBC, PBC, PBC!

Using a Vortex looks cooler, with the flame in the center and the wings (or other chicken parts) in a circle around the flame. Makes for better social media posts of your food and that is the whole reason for cooking, right?

Comment

• FireMan
              FireMan commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah! Fire & looks cooler!

• Greygoose
              Greygoose commented
              Editing a comment
              This ^ πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

I have had a SnS since shortly after I joined here, and like it a lot. But if I had to choose, I might go with the Vortex. It may be a one trick pony, but the SnS does tricks that can be accomplished in a few other ways.

Comment

• Andrrr
              Andrrr commented
              Editing a comment
              The vortex really doesn't get enough credit for it's dual zone capability. The shape just works really well in the middle of the kettle

Get them both but buy a Vortex knockoff from Amazon for half the price.

Comment

Comment

• FireMan
                FireMan commented
                Editing a comment
                ...........................House.................. ...........
                ...........................Home................... ..........y

For me, I was not that impressed with the SnS. I ended up giving it to my brother. The Vortex on the other hand is a chicken roasting machine. It is one of my favorites pieces of auxiliary equipment. chicken pieces come out beautiful on it and you can turn it up-side-down and do beer can chicken or chicken on a throne. Really the only time I use my kettle is with the Vortex.

Comment

I think it's worth it to have both. I also use the SnS more often. But I use the vortex always with chicken wings, thighs, ect. I also use the vortex with the wider side up add coals and it makes a perfect charcoal "burner" for a CI or CS skillet

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here