Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Santa Corona - BBQ Pit Boys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Santa Corona - BBQ Pit Boys

Hello all,

I recently got a 22 inch kettle to add to my collection of grills and thinking of getting a Santa Maria attachment. I was curious if anyone had purchased this particular Santa Maria attachment? I know Gabby's Grills makes a unit as well, been watching the vids non stop! I was wondering if anyone went with the BBQ Pit Boys unit and how they are enjoying it? Also if you did, what made you go with this unit vs the Gabby's Grill unit? Thanks -Rob

BBQ pit boys ripped the idea from Gabby's grills. A mutual friend of theirs introduced them and BBQ pit boys took the idea from Gabby's and started mass production. Hence they are not friends anymore.

Comment

• Craigar
      Craigar commented
      Editing a comment
      I guess I am failing to see the correlation between the two. Gabby's is an attachment made for a round grills and the BBQ Pit Boys is a free standing rectangle. I guess some people are easily triggered.

• Ahumadora
      Ahumadora commented
      Editing a comment
      Craigar. They have a direct knockoff
      of the grill attachment. Not sure if they still sell it. Alot of the pit boys grills are made by Sunterra in Mexico.
      Last edited by Ahumadora; May 28, 2020, 06:13 PM.

Originally posted by Ahumadora View Post
    BBQ pit boys ripped the idea from Gabby's grills. A mutual friend of theirs introduced them and BBQ pit boys took the idea from Gabby's and started mass production. Hence they are not friends anymore.
    Whoa I did not know this. I just started looking into the Santa Maria attachments...I am sorry to hear this news.

Comment

Think I’ll order a Gabby!

Comment

• TexasRob
        TexasRob commented
        Editing a comment
        Was just curious did you end up ordering it?

• Mojo0209
        Mojo0209 commented
        Editing a comment
        No, not yet. Wife surprised me with a smoke x4. Not trying to push my luck. Yet!

I have a Gabbys and love it. The only thing I don’t like is it’s rather small in the 22” size, otherwise it’s fairly well built and does a great job. Doing a Picanha on it Friday !!

Comment

• TexasRob
        TexasRob commented
        Editing a comment
        What do you mean "small" in the 22 size please? Not enough surface space to cook based on what you normally cook? I ask because it is just the wife and I..if I am looking to grill to entertain I usually fire up the XL Kamado. Thanks

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Yea that’s what I meant. If cooking for two it’s plenty of space. If you have a larger cook it’s kind of difficult. I go to a different cooker if so. I’m thinking about buying a large Santa Maria style cooker for those occasions, love open fire cooking in general.

• TexasRob
        TexasRob commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you very much for the response! I am so intrigued by the Santa Maria style and this is an affordable way to do it. I am running out of room on the patio with the grills that I currently have! ha

I would love to have one of Gabbys attachments!! Always have been fascinated by Santa Maria style cooking!!

Comment

For y’all that have a Gabbys Grill attachment, how do you store it? That is about the only thing that is keeping me from pulling the trigger.

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Floor of my garage at first then bought a couple of those large bicycle style hooks and hang it on the wall.

Get the Gabby's version, it's great. I just place on the floor in my garage when not using it. I did a one-off custom build for myself, but if you're gonna buy one I think supporting Gabby is a good thing.

Comment

What I like about the Gabby's Grill is that you can get the attachment AND buy the Griddle for it for about the same price as the other one. I love to watch Junior when he goes live on FB cooking on the grill. I am just so intrigued by this way of cooking! I appreciate all that have given their input!

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            They also have a rotisserie attachment. I have a roto setup so didn’t opt for it, it was a bit expensive.

• TexasRob
            TexasRob commented
            Editing a comment
            I have a Rodizio cooker that I use on my Kamado and will use on my kettle now. That is a fun way to cook as well!

All I can speak to is Santa Maria style grilling. I use mine several times a week and will actually meal-plan around it. There's not much you can't cook with one.

Comment

Just great. Thank you all very much. I now have a Gabby in my shopping cart just waiting for me to hit the check out button.

where will this all end. Oh right. It doesn’t. 🤦🏼😁

Comment

• TexasRob
              TexasRob commented
              Editing a comment
              I guess you can just blame the "new guy" who started this post...oh wait...that was me! Did you go for the griddle too?

• Steve B
              Steve B commented
              Editing a comment
              No I have 2 Blackstone griddles already. And I've been eying up a Santa Maria style grill for a while now. So without spending an arm and a leg this Gabby's looks like it will fit the bill.

• TexasRob
              TexasRob commented
              Editing a comment
              Envious on the Blackstone griddles! Yeah the Gabby's Grill is at a great price and the opportunity to get some Santa Maria grilling style done!

My problem is the price. For the 26.75" it costs $400. That is a LOT for an accessory. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have it and it may end up on a Christmas wish-list at some point, but not for at least a couple of years.

Comment

• Greygoose
              Greygoose commented
              Editing a comment
              I wouldn’t say that it’s an accessory,,,,
              It’s more like an additional grill
              Go price up a Santa Maria grill and do a price comparison

• JeffJ
              JeffJ commented
              Editing a comment
              Greygoose I personally like Grey Goose but I keep Chopin on hand at all times because that is my father-in-law's vodka of choice.

• Greygoose
              Greygoose commented
              Editing a comment
              @JeffJ,,,,,LOL
              My FIL is 90 and a blended whiskey drinker
              I tried to get him to switch over to Crown Royal and he refused to give up his Old Thompson
              At $13.99 a handle I should count my blessings !!!!!
              Last edited by Greygoose; May 30, 2020, 10:23 AM.

I agree $400 for the 26" is too much. You can go a long way to getting a regular SM grill for that kind of money. Plus, the thing must weigh 100#.

Here's what I mean when I say a larger cook gets kind of dicey. Almost lost some pieces trying to flip all this

Click image for larger version

Name:	Lamb Chops 12.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	164.8 KB
ID:	853354

Comment

• Steve B
              Steve B commented
              Editing a comment
              Hmmmm. This is exactly why I haven’t pushed the button Steve. Thanks for the pic.
              What to do 🤔 What to do. 😬

• TexasRob
              TexasRob commented
              Editing a comment
              I can see what you mean now about it being crowded. In my situation where I usually don't cook for that many at one time, I think the surface space will work. Sometimes when the Mrs. goes to her sewing class on a Saturday I'm making lunch for myself and maybe a neighbor. Or cooking for the two of us. I'm just so fascinated by this method of cooking and the Gabby's unit is priced right for 22 imo vs the other unit mentioned. I do see it's a personal decision based on your situation.

Do you leave the charcoal at the lower level, or do you put it on what was previously the cooking grate?

I’ve thought about this, and I don’t understand what it will do that I can’t already do some other way. Of course that is probably my lack of imagination.

Comment

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              You build a fire on the regular Weber fire grate. You then mount the Gabby onto the Weber at the cooking grate level. The Gabby cooking grate raises and lowers to accommodate various cooking positions. Simple as that. I have a review when I bought mine, I’ll find and post.

That thing is cool, tho. The Gabby.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here