Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SnS reservoir drying out after 3 hours, normal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SnS reservoir drying out after 3 hours, normal?

Just curious for those with a SnS how long the water in their reservoir typically lasts. I noticed mine goes dry after about 3 hours. Is this normal? Should I be refilling every few hours?

Depends on a few things like what temperature you're cooking at, the ambient temp and humidity, wind, how well your kettle lid seals, etc. On an average day cooking at 250F I usually get 4-5 hours, but I've gotten much less during Santa Ana conditions. As far as refilling, I let the bark be my guide. If the bark's set nicely I don't bother, if I think it needs more time I might, but I'll probably just spritz with water at that point.

Comment

• Texas Larry
      Texas Larry commented
      Editing a comment
      +1 here.

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      +2

It depends on your cooking temp. The 5 hours is for a 225 cooking temp.

Comment

I agree there are many variables to consider. Just be careful if you add water to an empty and hot reservoir as it could spit very hot water on you.

Comment

I usually get 4 hours or so at 250. By that point I've found the meat is sweating and the cooking environment is humid enough that more water is not needed.

Comment

Have to chuckle while reading this. While you are concerned about running out of water, rightly so I might add, many of my WSM brothers talk about ditching the water pan completely. it’s like the tale of two cities or something like that. 😉

Don’t forget you can always place a bigger water pan on top of your cooking grate. I don’t use a SnS. I use the baskets that came with my Performer and fill a disposable aluminum pan filled with water for low and slow cooks. I need to find something a little more heavy duty though. I only get 2-3 cooks out of them before they start getting pinholes in them.

Comment

• Razor
            Razor commented
            Editing a comment
            mountainsmoker lol, that’s exactly what I ordered from Amazon after posting. I’ve been cooking a lot of stuff at 225/325 recently and if it’s only going to be a few hours I do it on the kettle versus the WSM.

surfdog just depends on what I’m cooking. I leave it in for briskets, butts, chickens, hams, etc., but take it out to hang jerky, ribs, etc.

• surfdog
            surfdog commented
            Editing a comment
            Razor Just to be clear, when I say I “ditched” mine...I meant as a water pan. I kept it in there, as a diffuser...but no longer added water.

But that’s one of the things I always liked about the WSM...it’s incredibly versatile and can be run numerous ways and still get awesome results.

• Razor
            Razor commented
            Editing a comment
            surfdog I was toying around with that for stuff like jerky, but when I went to buy the Hunsaker kit they had a deal that included their vortex thing. I figured what the heck and got it. Works pretty good and I don't worry about cleaning it as much since it sits right above the coals.

The trough isn't as good as a regular aluminum water pan imo so I don't typically use it.

Comment

Half the time I forget to add water. Honestly I have never added water back. The moister chamber I’m only concerned with, if at all, during the first couple/few hours of the cook.

I wouldn’t be all that concerned with it.
            thats just me though.

Comment

• Steve R.
              Steve R. commented
              Editing a comment
              Nope, that's me too.

I never add water. Honestly, I’d prefer to to use that space for more charcoal if I could.

Comment

• B-30
              B-30 commented
              Editing a comment
              I would expect that the water barrier between the two is as helpful, if not more, than the steam. I would help to even out the heat between the coals and the cooking surface, as well as dampen down the difference. I'm guessing as I just ordered mine today, and haven't had any experience with it, yet.

• ColonialDawg
              ColonialDawg commented
              Editing a comment
              I agree with you on its purpose - for me it just didn’t make any difference in the outcome/quality of what I cook. That being said, I cook mostly hot and fast now. But even when I started out low and slow it didn’t make much difference. That is my personal experience, though, and I know others may have different opinions.

I probably see 4-5 hours of water in my SNS reservoir when smoking, but honestly, cannot say exactly how long it lasts. As the old adage goes - if you're looking, you ain't cooking!

I smoke ribs for 4-5 hours, and usually have water left after those cooks, as I have to dump it the next time I clean up the kettle. For longer cooks of butts and brisket, I never refill the reservoir, and I always have plenty of bark, and stable cooker temperatures. As others have said, its about surface moisture and humidity earlier in the cook.

Comment

• HouseHomey
              HouseHomey commented
              Editing a comment
              Ya know, I think I’m with Beefchop down below. I have never seen water left after a cook, even ribs. Likely some displacement from mucho debrisO in the space.

• jfmorris
              jfmorris commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes I note build up of burned crap down inside the water reservoir of my SNS as well. I hit it with a putty knife every once in a while.

• Omigs
              Omigs commented
              Editing a comment
              Ha! The reason I know it's 3 hours is because during my last cook I was holding steady at 230 and noticed that the temp started dropping quickly. I took a look and noticed the reservoir.

Surprise hail storm last year damaged my lid so I think I don't have a good seal on my grill.

I never really saw the point of adding water to it anyway. I would not worry about it. When I had one, I think I only put water in it once or twice, maybe.

Comment

I also use a water pan and skip the SNS reservoir. That reminds me...At this point mine has become black hole for debris, so I should probably power wash it this weekend.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              Rubs Promo
              Meat-Up in Memphis