Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cooking poortex drumsticks in the rain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cooking poortex drumsticks in the rain

I accidentally bought a bag of frozen drumsticks thinking they were wings.serves me right for not going to the butcher but the Covid situation had me limiting stops.

I've recently dusted off my 26" and figured this was a job for my poortex.

Korean flavors in the marinade. I made a Gochujang-molasses sauce to apply later in the cook and some Alabama white sauce as a final touch. I've never done drumsticks before except maybe once when a guest brought some over.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200513_175006.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	845634

I do drums often. Lots of meat on them, and they are relatively cheap. Also almost impossible to over cook them. The white sauce is a nice touch. 😋

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      So does my buddy from across the street. I liked them but still prefer wings to drums. But it's still bbq chicken no matter how you slice it

Not half bad and the rain didn't amount to much. Now I'm eating and taking in the UFC fight night. It's nice to have live sports starting to make a comeback.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200513_183617.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.82 MB ID:	845678

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200513_183813.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.12 MB ID:	845675

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200513_185956.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.21 MB ID:	845677

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200513_190601.jpg Views:	0 Size:	802.7 KB ID:	845676

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200513_191938.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	845679
    Last edited by Attjack; May 13, 2020, 08:21 PM.

Comment

• smokenoob
      smokenoob commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh man, you’re killin’ me!

• Hulagn1971
      Hulagn1971 commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice spot!

• crazytown3
      crazytown3 commented
      Editing a comment
      That looks like a great evening on the patio.

Great lookin yardbird, Brother! Tasty mac salad, as well, an beautimous pics!

Comment

Nice cook! I’m curious as to how you made the gochujang molasses sauce. I’ve seen the chef Roi on the Netflix series "The Chef show" use it a lot, but I have yet to try it myself.

Comment

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        He puts everything in that sauce. Never the same twice, I know that feeling.

And the white sauce. Geeze man you kill me.

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Yea I like the white against the red. Don't know what it tastes like but sure is purdy !!!

That’s a cool flavor profile, Korean overlaid with the white sauce. How was it? It looks great!

Comment

I definitely would eat it !!!!!!

Comment

Those legs have awesome color. I love doing legs, wings, thighs, quarters, even did half chickens one time (although I had to keep adding fuel to the Vortex). Tell us about your sauces, prying minds want to know and copy !!!

Just a hint on the poortex, wrap aluminum foil at the fire grate level all around the poortex. It forces more air to and thru the fire and makes clean up a breeze.

Comment

Henrik Troutman The sauces aren't mine and neither is the gochujang white sauce paring. I used this combo on a couple of batches of wings in recent months and found the recipes on foodnetwork. In the past, I also made blue cheese sauce and I would say it's even better with the gochujang than the white sauce. It offered more of contrast instead of hot on hot. The color was good on the drums but I would pull them 5 minutes earlier as the smallest had a little too much char for my liking.

"Just a hint on the poortex, wrap aluminum foil at the fire grate level all around the poortex. It forces more air to and thru the fire and makes clean up a breeze."

Nice tip. I could see buying another pizza pan and making a poortex drip pan out of it.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...-sauce-4644199

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks !!

I really like the versatility the vortex (Poortex) adds to the kettle. I don’t do drumsticks but love how it cooks wings. I just finished dinner otherwise Inwould be heading to you house. Nice job. Adding the SloNSear just adds to the versatility.

Comment

Looks amazing. We do drummies alot, way more than wings in fact.
            Last edited by Murdy; May 15, 2020, 07:49 AM.

Comment

Looks great! Love that sauce idea, sounds delicious. I have been cooking drumsticks more often than other parts lately. I get a pack of 5-6 nice sized drums at our local grocery store for about $2.50. Hard to pass on that.

Comment

• Jfrosty27
                Jfrosty27 commented
                Editing a comment
                Meaty and cheap! Gotta love it.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here