Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pizza kits worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pizza kits worth it?

Hey folks...anybody out there that has one of the pizza kits with the insert that goes between the base and lid of your kettle...are they worth it? I've only done pizza a few times on my pizza stone (well technically 4 stones, it's one of those 4 piece ones that you can arrange but usually I just use it in a square as one big stone) just with a good hot bed of coals and with the lid closed. Does having that insert make a difference in terms of airflow and keeping the temp up or something? I've always been tempted to get one but I'm not sure what kind of difference it makes.

Thanks, stay safe everyone!

Get you started

Create perfect pizza on the grill thanks to these top rated tools. If you're a fan of brick oven pizza then this is the gear that will help you create it directly on your grill, from pizza stones to pizza peels and more. The result is a crust that is crisp, smoky and lightly charred and piping hot toppings.

Comment

• Driverdan
      Driverdan commented
      Editing a comment
      I love my $79 PizzaQue set from Home Depot. The onboard temp gauge pegs around 900-1000 degrees. 3-4 mins with 1 180 degree rotation for a perfectly cooked pie.

I have the Kettle Pizza kit and it does a good job. Not a necessity by any means but it does make cooking a great pizza a bit easier. I would definitely recommend the baking steel that goes on the top. Without that my crusts always cooked much quicker than the top of the pizzas. I can pretty easily get to 600+ degrees with this fired up. A couple pieces of real wood and not charcoal help bump the temp up nicely.

Also be careful how many coals you have under the pizza stone. Too many right under the pizzas make it too hot and burns the crust. Shove all the coals to the back of the kettle.
    Last edited by JoeSousa; April 14, 2020, 01:50 AM.

Comment

I have the Kettle Pizza accessory and love it. Be forewarned, there is a learning curve to it. Also, you need to close the top vent on the lid so the heat flows out the front and over the stone. I've hit over 700 degrees with a C-shaped ring of charcoal along with back with a split log sitting on top.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0698.JPG
Views:	295
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	831704

Comment

I do like my KettlePizza kit. Combining charcoal with a few pieces of wood gives a nice hot (600+ degrees) pizza oven. Much better than my oven can do even with a baking steel as my oven seems to top out at 450 degrees.

Last edited by RichardCullip; April 14, 2020, 09:00 AM.

Comment

Right on...yeah definitely I learned this past weekend to make a ring or C shape around the outside vs just a bed of coals helps a little. Crust was definitely on the edge of too crispy still but very good, and still got adequate cheese meltiness but I haven't tried putting full on wood in the kettle yet. Next time I'll give that a go for sure.

Thanks all!

Comment

After my pizza experience on the kettle this weekend, posted elsewhere, while I am sure that some of the inserts work well, I was extremely pleased with my results, following the pizza related video on the snsgrills.com website. I raised the pizza iron (Lodge 15” cast iron pizza pan) up a few inches using a Hovergrill, and the results where phenomenal.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here