Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

POLL: Where is your SnS located in your Kettle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

POLL: Where is your SnS located in your Kettle?

Where is your SnS located in your Kettle?
    Left Side
    35.29%
    Right Side
    22.35%
    Back
    31.76%
    Front
    5.88%
    Random / Different every time
    4.71%

I always keep mine on the right when I'm using it

Comment

In there! Somewhere! Yup!

Comment

It is always located exactly opposite my BBQ Guru Pit Viper fan adaptor.

Comment

• Reznik2
          Reznik2 commented
          Editing a comment
          Me too. But I have noticed that smoke does not seem to be getting to the meat. Using the SNS it seems that no matter where you place it you bypass the meat for smoke.

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          Not sure I follow. As long as you place the top (lid) vent opposite the SnS, you're good. So if the SnS is at the 12 o' clock position, place top vent at 6 o' clock. Have done this for years, always works.

I like to have my PartyQ in the front, so the SnS goes in the back, on the opposite side.

Comment

• Jim White
          Jim White commented
          Editing a comment
          So it's a reverse mullet? Party in front and business in back?

• Steve R.
          Steve R. commented
          Editing a comment
          Haha! Jim White , I almost typed those exact words before deciding to shorten my post. lol
          Last edited by Steve R.; March 16, 2020, 01:04 PM.

Last time I checked my kettles are round, no sides.

Also, I use a Napoleon 22" kettle which has a hinged lid so I have no control over where the top vent is. :-)
        Last edited by pkadare; March 16, 2020, 07:36 AM.

Comment

I have a Performer with the side table and propane ignition, so never felt like having it on the right over the propane tube was a good idea long term, plus that put it close to the table, where you would have to reach across the hot zone. My performer is from 2007, and the lid holder keeps the lid tilted somewhat to the right, over the kettle, compared to newer Performer models, so the left is awkward for refueling unless you set the lid on the ground. Therefore, I used to ALWAYS put the SnS in the front, and it worked great, as the normal position of the kettle lid has the vent to the rear, and the dome thermometer to the front. Then I went and drilled a hole for the PartyQ, which I wanted to mount in the front where I could see and adjust the temperature. This forced me to move to placing the SnS at the rear any time I use the PartyQ, and rotating the lid 180 degrees to put the top vent in the front, making the dome thermometer face rear where you can't see it (easily).

Any time I am doing hot and fast or not using the temp controller, I still put the SnS in the front, so that the lid can face the right direction. Otherwise, if going low and slow and using the PartyQ, I put it in the rear, with the fan and partyQ in the front.

Comment

Left side of my performer. Click image for larger version

Name:	5A712F48-01BC-4E10-B741-E6BDC35462F6.jpeg
Views:	567
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	815858

Comment

I have a Performer as well, but without the propane ignition. My usual position when cooking is the table on the right, kettle on the left, and the SnS on the left end of the kettle, keeping the heat as far from the table and whatever is on it as I can. I have a Pit Viper I need to install and don't see any reason to change what I am doing. Will drill the hole for the fan on the table side of the kettle so I can keep the SnS on the left away from the table.

Comment

• jumbo7676
                jumbo7676 commented
                Editing a comment
                jfmorris I'm not 100% set on my plan since I haven't even taken the Pit Viper out of the box yet, so I may change when I actually go to do it. I'll be using a Pit Viper/Fireboard combo. It seems like pretty minimal fuss to connect under the kettle each cook so I'm not overly concerned, but we'll see when I'm actually ready to drill whether I stick with that plan.

• jfmorris
                jfmorris commented
                Editing a comment
                Just look at where the 3 spots you can put the fan adapter are, between where the ash sweeps reach and right below the charcoal grate. If its like my Performer, the options were, if "6 o'clock" is the very front of the kettle, about 5, 9 and 1, give or take. The 9 o'clock position doesn't work unless you put the SnS by the table, on the right, so its really the 1 o'clock with the SNS in the front, or the 5 o'clock position with the SnS in the back.

• jumbo7676
                jumbo7676 commented
                Editing a comment
                jfmorris Thanks for that info. If those are the options, happy hour it is (5 o'clock).

For some reason I always have it on the right side as I'm facing the grill.

Comment

Mine always goes in back, opposite the handle.

Comment

Front = Ouch

Comment

The side I hang my lid from, whatever side that is.

Comment

Opposite the food for indirect, under the food for direct searing! 😂... give me another question, I love quizzes 😎

Comment

Lucky to have gotten a performer off of Craig’s list. Table on the right, SNS on the left.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here