Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who uses the Slow ‘N Sear Charcoal Basket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who uses the Slow ‘N Sear Charcoal Basket?

I think Huskee does. I see they are now constructed of SS and the new version is $40 and available for pre-order. I thought about getting one before but wondered if it took up too much real estate in a Jumbo Joe.

Click image for larger version

Name:	basket-dimensions-700x467_900x.png?v=1568304683.png
Views:	449
Size:	473.5 KB
ID:	813932

For comparison here's my 26 with an XL SnS in it.

Name:	RPRTb2yRtH7ojlPapf2MqCtW36ZKtACi6UgZ6y5EnheDzYzTCsqpAyEQ74xk7Fs_0ygtthnHgeZy4J7vgeeQVR0ruuyU5ZcqgLwYs3RmasfvITyALmA4-IX0VmipNGXf7DbVKUrRTIXLd8T9W4B3ILEEqmGBh2rh29XfhvXCg-OmDa-xN--0Ts8t8sP1tkJOE3pg_6o2uz4vzA5FOu2E1KRL_KYG31L60jhivdAdCrv81jMlQzc2b1bOvYep38j
Views:	377
Size:	200.3 KB
ID:	813933

Comment

I use one in my Jumbo Joe, takes up about half the real estate, but do enjoy it. So easy when I do use the J.J., which reminds me I need to smoke a small pork butt and that might just do the trick. I would not hesitate to buy a SS version for my J.J. if I didn’t already have one.

Comment

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        What was the price for the non-SS versions?

• au4stree
        au4stree commented
        Editing a comment
        Seems like I paid $25-30, it’s been over 2 years ago. Perfect steak cooker when it’s just me and the Mrs.

So here is the Weber baskets that come with https://www.amazon.com/Weber-7403-Ch...08462&hvbmt=be &hvdev=c&hvqmt=e&keywords=weber+charcoal+basket &qi d=1583973739&sr=8-322"

not SS
      Last edited by HawkerXP; March 11, 2020, 06:46 PM.

Comment

Here is one of many SS knock offs. https://www.amazon.com/Stanbroil-Sta...3973865&sr=8-4 again for the 22"

Comment

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          This is a pretty good option. Is it bigger than the Weber baskets?

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          I take that back after reading this review:

Doesn't fit 18 inch Webber grills
          despite what seller's description says these baskets are too tall to fit an 18,5 inch Webber grill. the topgrate rests on the baskets leaving a tilted unstable hot grate.

I bought one recently for my Jumbo Joe, which is 18" in diameter. I have used it only twice so I am no expert with it but I like what it has done for me so far. It takes up approx half the grill space, but I only use the Jumbo Joe to cook for my wife and myself. I use a PBC for larger cooks. For smoking two zone, I smoke on cool side and reverse sear on hot side. I put an aluminum water pan on food grate above the coals and have wrapped the lower (charcoal) grate on the cool side (horizontal with the coals on the hot side) with aluminum foil to catch drips as well as to channel incoming air flow away from the food and directs it into the bottom of the SNS basket. If needed, and it usually is, I add other aluminum pan beneath the food on cool side to catch drippings.

Comment

I use one in my 22" Weber kettle. It is almost a permanent installation as the bulk of my cooking is indirect heat. Can't imagine going back to cooking without it.

Comment

I contemplated it for my Jumbo Joe but concluded that it took up too much real estate.

Comment

• Attjack
              Attjack commented
              Editing a comment
              I think this is the second time I've come to the same conclusion. I'll probably make this thread again next year!

• au4stree
              au4stree commented
              Editing a comment
              This is a correct conclusion. The weber basket works just fine, i do, however, like the sloped sides of the SnS....And when I bought it, I was "all in" on the SnS craze. Not that Dave doesn't have a great product, it's just I could've gone without for my J.J. But alas, I own it and will use it.

I just brought a 22" Weber kettle, these baskets are my next investment

Comment

I don't have a Jumbo Joe, but I have an SNS charcoal basket and a pair of Webber baskets for my 18" kettle. For shorter cooks, the Webber baskets are fine, but for longer cooks, the SNS basket is superior. Here's a picture of several pieces of boneless beef chuck rib pastrami after almost 6 hours.

Name:	P7220474.JPG
Views:	329
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	814246

Here's a small Picanha

Name:	P7160454.JPG
Views:	272
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	814247

And the sear.

Name:	P7160456.JPG
Views:	265
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	814248

Comment

I guess the capacity of the basket is necessary if one is going to smoke something with it. But in my case with a 14.5 WSM, a PBC, the 22" edition of the SnS for my 26 and an OKJ offset stick burner I'd never see myself smoking in the JJ.

I am a big fan of the SNS product though. This past Monday it was mid 50's here in Michigan and I wasn't working. I threw a chuck roast, canned whole tomatoes and a couple of other odds and ends into my OKJ and ran small hickory splits and pecan chunks for 3 hours. At the 3 hour mark the odds and ends were done and I needed to do something more productive than babysit the stick burner so I moved the chuck to the big kettle with the SnS. Over the course of 6 hours I made 1 minor adjustment to the top vent and that was it. It was dialed in and I didn't have to do anything; it just ran flawlessly.
                Last edited by JeffJ; March 12, 2020, 06:20 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here