Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Introducing the Slow 'N Sear!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by olvrab00 View Post
    David Parrish, I pledged $200 for the kickstart campaign. Now that the kickstart is cancelled, will I be given an opportunity to buy an SNS during the first batch of sales? I already entered my email address on ABC's website.

Art first off THANK YOU for supporting our KS campaign. Secondly, I have to ask you... can you keep a secret?

We're getting payment processing set up right now and once that is ready we're going to begin selling the small batch Slow 'N Sears. We're not going to go fully public with this though. I will first make an announcement here in this thread so club members get the first opportunity to purchase. After a couple of days we'll send out the emailer and let the rest of the world know. This basically means everyone here in The Pit gets first dibs on purchasing the small batch SnS.

As long as y'all keep it a secret.

Comment

• Steve Vojtek
      Steve Vojtek commented
      Editing a comment
      Waht secret? What're you talking about i didn't hear nothing.... BTW when you've satisfied the USA market let me know cause i've just bought a kettle and would like to get a SNS. What? No i know nothing about it. ):

• RJHinPDX
      RJHinPDX commented
      Editing a comment
      Are you still planning a mass-produced version of the SnS?

• David Parrish
      David Parrish commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes we're currently ramping up mass production. We don't have a timeline yet when we'll have it to sell though. I wish it was yesterday!

I just yesterday bought a 26" kettle so I could see how it works with the SnS. Here's the result of the first cook.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7742.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	226.1 KB
ID:	84706

Comment

• Steve Vojtek
      Steve Vojtek commented
      Editing a comment
      Awesome Boss!!

• fuzzydaddy
      fuzzydaddy commented
      Editing a comment
      Well, a steak purchase will be first...once I have my Slow-N-Sear. I'll be watching this thread daily.

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      [picture soon to be property of www.ABCbarbecue.com]

WOW!!!

Comment

Today I'm trying out low and slow smoking on the 26" kettle using the SnS. So far I've learned the big kettle takes longer to heat up than the 22" and it's slower to react to changes in vent settings. This isn't necessarily bad or good, just different. The first 1.5 hours I made several adjustments while I was figuring out how this new kettle works. My temps kept swinging from 215 to 235 then back to 215. Then all of a sudden it started holding temps steady. I'm now 3.5 hours into the cook (7lb pork butt) and the temps have been steady in the 226 to 230 range for the past two hours with no vent adjustments.

The butt is currently at 138F. I want to eat this for dinner, which is 6 hours from now. To make that happen I plan on cranking up the temp to 275 (or higher even) once the meat hits the stall, then once safely past the stall I'm going to lower the temp down to 225 and let the meat slowly come up to my desired final temp of 203. I've found this technique makes great pulled pork and saves a lot of time.

Overall my initial impressions are very positive.

Comment

5 hours into the cook and the 26" Kettle w/ SnS is looking like a pretty good combo!

Comment

• richinlbrg
          richinlbrg commented
          Editing a comment
          Happens to me all the time. I had 2 10* drops today with my Chuck. I think it is the moisture coming to the surface.....basically, the meat sweating. At least that is how I understand it.

• David Parrish
          David Parrish commented
          Editing a comment
          Ah hah! Yes you're likely right. Right now she's at 176F and the pit is at 273F. It burns through charcoal noticeably faster at 275F. I estimate at 8.5 hours into the cook I've used 1.5 Weber Chimney's of charcoal. Cooking at 225F I would still be under 1 chimney.

• olvrab00
          olvrab00 commented
          Editing a comment
          Looking good, Boss.

Results of tonight's cook. Amazing bark. Amazing tenderness. Amazing smoke flavor. All around win!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7765.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	210.5 KB
ID:	84897

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          Is that some fried okra? You think maybe you could fill up the water reservoir with oil and fry?

• David Parrish
          David Parrish commented
          Editing a comment
          That is indeed some fried okra, which might possibly be the most perfect vegetable. ever.

I'm not gonna touch the oil in the reservoir comment with a ten foot pole. That's just asking for trouble right there. OK except to say DON'T TRY IT!

• Jerod Broussard
          Editing a comment
          LOVE me some okra, hate picking with a short sleeve shirt, though. I'm thinking you need coals on both sides to get frying action.

David Parrish , I have been out of pocket for a bit and just got back on. I was just looking on my credit card to see if the $200.00 had been charged. Now that I know about Kickstarter I guess my card won't be charged the $200.00 but hope I will still get one of the first models because of effort. I do understand why your company did what they did. It really protects everyone even from suspect of kickbacks and favors. Going to ABC site now.

Comment

Guy no credit cards were charged with the KickStarter project. As a thanks to everyone that has supported the SnS we've set up a page where you can give us your email address. We'll send you a notice when we have the limited edition SnS in stock and you'll get the first chance to buy one! http://www.abcbarbecue.com/#!shop/c2037

Comment

• Guy
            Guy commented
            Editing a comment
            Boss thanks for the update. Can hardly wait.

• David Parrish
            David Parrish commented
            Editing a comment
            You bet!

Progress update on the limited edition SnS. It's a multi step process to make each SnS. You start with a few sheets of 16 gauge 304 stainless steel and cut them into 28 pieces (I don't know the exact number. Could be one. Could be more). 14 pieces make up the charcoal basket and 14 make up the water reservoir. Those pieces each go through a forming process where the metal is shaped. The reservoir piece is then hand welded to the basket piece. Then finally each piece is polished so the weld points are smooth.

I heard from the manufacturer early this week that they were in the process of cutting the pieces. Based on my past experience that means we could start receiving product by the end of the week. Keep your fingers crossed!

Comment

• richinlbrg
            richinlbrg commented
            Editing a comment
            Good news, @pit boss!

Next thing you know, you'll be on TV's "How it's Made".

• olvrab00
            olvrab00 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for the update, David Parrish.

Thank you for the update David Parrish!

Comment

I've run the SnS three days in a row now to get a feel for how the SnS works with the 26" kettle. Check out today's chuck roast

Comment

• Craigar
              Craigar commented
              Editing a comment
              Looks great! What did you use for smoke wood?

• David Parrish
              David Parrish commented
              Editing a comment
              Apple for the pork and cherry for the chuck roast. I'm trying to use wood that is easy to find in the store so folks can easily get the same results as I do.

Originally posted by Pit Boss View Post
            I've run the SnS three days in a row now to get a feel for how the SnS works with the 26" kettle. Check out today's chuck roast
            David Parrish Middle pic= drool.....

Comment

Here's a video I shot a couple of days ago that shows a VERY high tech technique to manage your temps.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                Editing a comment
                Exposing the charcoal, before you spritz.....as Harry would say, "Pure genius Loyd, pure genius."

David Parrish - now that you've got the SnS working on the 26", it's time to give the Ranch Kettle a go

Comment

• David Parrish
                David Parrish commented
                Editing a comment
                Should we conquer the Ranch Kettle next or the Smokey Joe? lol

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                David Parrish I vote the mini is next for the Smokey Joe. We differentiate the mini SnS by designating it all lower case "sns", ha ha.

• David Parrish
                David Parrish commented
                Editing a comment
                OR... We can call it the sNs. lol

Front seared NY Strip on the 26"

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
                fuzzydaddy commented
                Editing a comment
                Juicy. (drooling big time)

• David Parrish
                David Parrish commented
                Editing a comment
                Keep your fingers crossed. I'm waiting to hear from the manufacturer if we'll have a few Slow 'N Sears to sell this weekend! I'll know more in the morning.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here