Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Introducing the Slow 'N Sear!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks great guys! Can't wait to try it out.

Comment

Couple of questions.. What would help your draft on Kickstarter - to move it along - does it depend on the amount of feedback? And will the Slow'N Sear be available overseas (Australia) eventually? When i saw the pictures of the Pitt Boss's steak .. WOW - never seen a sear like that before .. awesome ...huge steak lover here...i'm willing to buy a Webber just for that..I realize that that i'm limited to backing it cause i'm overseas but the $25 - $100 bracket is fine for me ...

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Vojtek View Post
        Couple of questions.. What would help your draft on Kickstarter - to move it along - does it depend on the amount of feedback? And will the Slow'N Sear be available overseas (Australia) eventually? When i saw the pictures of the Pitt Boss's steak .. WOW - never seen a sear like that before .. awesome ...huge steak lover here...i'm willing to buy a Webber just for that..I realize that that i'm limited to backing it cause i'm overseas but the $25 - $100 bracket is fine for me ...

Steve it just needs to get reviewed by KickStarter. It should go live in a day or two.

Shipping Overseas - The SnS is probably small enough that shipping costs aren't prohibitive. We're looking into it.

Thanks for the props on the sear!

Comment

• Steve Vojtek
          Steve Vojtek commented
          Editing a comment
          My pleasure - i wanted to eat my computer screen - huge steak lover here.....
          And i'm willing to pay for postage....
          Last edited by Steve Vojtek; May 4, 2015, 10:03 AM.

What are the Dimensions on this? I'm wondering other applications outside of a kettle... so could I add a second grate and potentially create a nice searing station on the PBC... Trying to think logistics.

What size Kettle does it fit? Will it do both an 18 and 22?

Comment

From our KickStarter page, "The Slow ‘N Sear is 21” wide (edge to edge of the water reservoir) by 8.5” deep (farthest edge of charcoal basket to outer wall of the water reservoir) by 4.75” tall. It will fit many grills including 22" and 26" kettle grills."

I haven't tried it with a PBC. It's probably too wide to fit, but you're right, it would make for an excellent searing station... much like Meathead's afterburner method.

Comment

• smarkley
            smarkley commented
            Editing a comment
            the PBC is about 18 approximately.. so no. But it would be cool. I use the afterburner method, btw... it is effective!

I have been competing for years in Texas using nothing but a few Weber kettles that cost me less than $100. I've bought a few accessories and made a few tweaks to turn them into a versatile smokers, and the results prove it: in my last 4 competitions my brisket has come 4th, 8th, 3rd and 4th, out of 50+ teams each time. But using a kettle for competition barbecue has its downsides though. Refilling the charcoal is a pain in the butt, and searing meat is pretty much impossible. In fact I got a separate small 18" kettle just for searing ribs and chicken.
          If only I had known about the SNS five years ago. David reached out to me a few weeks ago and sent me a sample copy. After using it once, I was hooked and immediately asked for another one. It solves almost all of the logistical problems I've had over the years.
          • Filling and lighting it is a breeze. Fill it with coal, drop in a few firestarters and light them up. That's it.
          • Depending on how hot you run it, it burns for 8 to 10 hours without needing a charcoal refill.
          • Refilling charcoal is similarly easy. Push the remaining coals to one side, and dump more in.
          • Searing is as easy as moving your meat from one side of the grill to the other.
          I used it in a competition this past weekend and had no trouble whatsoever keeping the temperature between 225 and 240 for twenty-eight straight hours. And the brisket that I cooked on it placed 5th out of 55 teams. It's always fun to see the looks on peoples faces when their $25,000 rig got trounced by a Weber kettle with a SNS.

Comment

KickStarter has approved the Slow 'N Sear project. I plan on making some tweaks to the rewards tonight (T-Shirts for everyone $25 and over!) and then pulling the trigger.

Comment

Some pics from this weekend. The ribs are at the 5 hour mark and as you can see there's still a little less than half the coal left in the basket. The brisket is about 12 hours in. You can't really see the coal level because I was using my Smokenator as a heat shield but it was about 1/2 full at this point. (I refilled the coal around the 8 hour mark)
            Last edited by AHambrick; May 4, 2015, 04:13 PM.

Comment

• David Parrish
              David Parrish commented
              Editing a comment
              Alex vBulletin has a funny way of turning photos sideways. If you edit the photo and rotate it, then save it, the photos won't display 90 degrees off.

David Parrish when and how do I order it? The Amazon button didn't work.

Comment

Originally posted by DWCowles View Post
              David Parrish when and how do I order it? The Amazon button didn't work.

You can pre-order starting tonight on the KickStarter page.

Comment

Huskee is there going to be a forum on the ABC site too? If so is it going be free or a membership fee?

Comment

• Huskee
                  Huskee commented
                  Editing a comment
                  We're not sure just yet, we'll have to see how things progress. It would be fun to. For now we do have Disqus on the home page.

Originally posted by Pit Boss View Post

You can pre-order starting tonight on the KickStarter page.
                Attached Files

Comment

• Huskee
                  Huskee commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Perhaps my favorite GIF!

• Jon Solberg
                  Jon Solberg commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It is a good one no doubt. perfect at times like this as well

• David Parrish
                  David Parrish commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Almost there, promise. CINCHOUSE (Commander In Chief - House) is putting the munchkins to bed... then we do final review... then we KICK IT OFF!

I can't wait to meticulously stack B & B briquettes in this thing and smoke a brisket that barely fits in the kettle.

Comment

• DWCowles
                  DWCowles commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I can't wait to start ducking when the wife starts throwing things at me when she finds out that I'm going to buy another BBQ accessory

• David Parrish
                  David Parrish commented
                  Editing a comment
                  DWC it's time to start ducking

Thanks everyone for the support! Please get the word out! (Facebook, Twitter, etc...)

Comment

David Parrish ok I back the project can you tell me how many times that I back it bc I think I hit the button twice.

Comment

• David Parrish
                    David Parrish commented
                    Editing a comment
                    No Sir. You'll have to go in again if you want another I'm afraid =(

• DWCowles
                    DWCowles commented
                    Editing a comment
                    David Parrish Ok I will get two since I have three kettles. Will the PartyQ work with the SnS?

• David Parrish
                    David Parrish commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Awesome! Yes the PartyQ should work, but temp management is really easy once you get to know the SnS. You may find the PartyQ is not worth the effort of setting it up.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here