Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Slow 'N Sear 1.0 Versus 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slow 'N Sear 1.0 Versus 2.0

I did a cursory search before posting this and couldn't find anything. Please feel to direct me if there is an extant thread on this.

SnSGrills has the v1.0 of the Slow 'N Sear on sale for $59.99 USD currently as compared to $99.99 USD for the v2.0. For those who have used both, what would I be losing out on by going with the v1.0 aside from the visceral thrill of having the latest and greatest? I've done my research so I know the feature differences between the 2 (no bottom grate and no removable water container on the v1.0) but what I'm looking for is any compelling reason to chose the v2.0 in terms of usability.
    Thanks!

I have the 1.0 and love it, don't know if the 2.0 is worth $40.00 more to remove the water container

Comment

I noticed the 1.0 back around the holidays and posed essentially the same question.

Just noticed my email that the SnS original is back for $60 right now and it has me interested. Aside from the removable water slot which isn’t a big deal to me is the bottom of the charcoal holder on 2.0 really worth the extra $40? It doesn’t seem like the tiny pieces that I’d lose that fall through the grate would make

I ended up going with the 1.0 and have been happy with my choice. I have been putting water in the pan for everything but I'm starting more and more to smoke without it. If I end up ditching water altogether I guess there will be a little regret that I didn't get the 2.0 only because I could increase charcoal capacity and cook times but nothing that I'll lose sleep over.
      Also I'm cheap so I took a grinder to a hinged weber grate and removed the grate over the charcoal for easy access. I'm sure it will rust through someday but I can't imagine any time soon. I just so happen to have some shorties on right now so here's a pic.

Attached Files

Comment

I love the original. Especially in my 26”. I don’t have a good reason.

Comment

It's nice to have unused charcoal leave the grill with the SnS.

Comment

• Andrrr
            Andrrr commented
            Editing a comment
            Good point. That would make filling the chimney up on the next cook a little less dirty

Thanks all! v1.0 it is!

Comment

Good choice, for $40 there's no benefit to going to 2.0. He's trying to get rid of inventory I'm sure. As to the grate, the 1.0 later models have a grate in them (both mine do). Maybe you bought the earliest models that were grate-less. If you do end up with one of those, a piece of expanded metal cut to shape will do the trick.

Comment

On long cooks the grate at the bottom of the 2.0 would help to be able to lift everything out to clean ashes. I had a pile clog the air intake. Very long cook though overnight pork butt and tried to cook some chicken thighs but the ash was too much for the cleaning arms.

Comment

I've had the 1.0 since it was the only model at the time I got it (mine still has the SNS logo laser etched on it). I think not having the bottom grate helps lead to less possibility of ash accumulation blocking airflow to the charcoal during a long cook. The 2.0 benefit, as someone noted above, is that you can lift it out and dump the remaining charcoal into a chimney for relighting on the next cook. I have to use my charcoal scoop to collect it.

Comment

I have both, and can’t really see what extra benefit you would get for 40 bucks extra with the 2.0 version. Get v1 and spend the other money on meat :-)

Comment

• FireMan
                    FireMan commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yeah, meat!

Well, thanks to pkadare and this thread, I have finally ordered my first SnS. I also went with the V 1.0. Basically to save money since I don’t make a lot of it and my wife is expecting our newest little Pit Master....... now or never for the SnS. Lol!

Comment

• HawkerXP
                    HawkerXP commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Congrats!

• Willard
                    Willard commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That’s 2 arrivals to congratulate you on. So congratulations!

I have both. For me the benefit of the 2.0 is using it to run the kettle as a smaller charcoal grill, without the water channel. I put the half-moon griddle on top and use it to sear steaks and burgers.

In fact, that is almost the only thing I use it for. But I do use it a lot. So there probably isn’t that much difference between them.

Comment

Ok, after some back and forth, and considering that the difference is only $40, I've decided to go with the 2.0. Chiefly because it appears that with the water container removed, you really do get a lot more searing space with the 2.0. I like really big steaks and from the pictures it looks like I'd be a bit hard pressed to fit even 2 large steaks completely over the searing space on the 1.0. Now I just have to get an answer from SNSGrills on the size and weight of the box. Shipping to Canada is $84+ USD while I can get it shipped to our condo in Ft. Myers Beach for free. SWMBO is heading there today for a couple of weeks. She's approved the purchase but wants to know the size and weight before agreeing to have it shipped and schlepping it home for me. :-)

Comment

• pkadare
                      pkadare commented
                      Editing a comment
                      9x21x5 and about 7 lbs. SWMBO is fine with that as her suitcase will be mostly empty on the way home and this will fit. Just placed the order. Dave responded in the FB group that they have a couple of Ontario retailers and while the exchange rate was reasonable (139.99 CA or about $105 USD) ordering to FLA saves me both the Ontario tax (15%) and shipping.

• pkadare
                      pkadare commented
                      Editing a comment
                      And now I have to wait for 2 events to take place:
                      1. My wife to bring this home.
                      2. The longer pole is waiting for all of the snow to melt so that I can get to my pit and try it out. :-)

• Murdy
                      Murdy commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Great thread. I was on the verge of pulling the trigger on the 1.0 -- After reading this, I've decided to go with the 2.0 as well.

I prefer the older original 1.0.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here