Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pellets in the SnS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pellets in the SnS?

Prior to picking up a kettle and SnS, I used one of those stainless perforated smoking tubes in the gas grill. I purchased a bag of pellets for that but now that I use the kettle instead of the gasser for things like steaks and pork tenderloins, the pellets are just taking up space. I am wondering if anyone has put pellets in the SnS in place of a wood chunk? It seems to me that it should work and I could get the smoke I need for the 45 minutes of so that the steaks are on. I could then save my wood chunks for the longer cooks. Any thoughts out there?

No reason you can't use the tube with the SnS, i should think. I've also used pellets in a foil pouch with a hole or two in it and gotten plenty of smoke, but that was with black walnut, which is very strong. I don't think you'd get much smoke time just by tossing them in the fire, seems like they'd burn pretty quick.

Comment

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree - wrap them rascals.

• mountainsmoker
      mountainsmoker commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree make a foil pouch with 2-3 slots in it. I am the pellets would burn pretty fast by them selves.

You could use your tube just like you did on your gasser. I'd just light it and set it on the cooler side, under your grill grate, but out of the way of any drippings.

Comment

I have sprinkled pellets in my SnS for a quick hit of smoke on burgers. It works but they burn up very quickly.

Comment

Now I know what I'll do with my black walnut pellets. Wrap 'em, slot 'em, and toss on the SnS. Thanks Pit!

Comment

• mnavarre
          mnavarre commented
          Editing a comment
          Go easy, I used maybe a tablespoon on a 4 pound top round and it was very prominent. Strong stuff, not the kind of thing you'd want to run through a whole cook.

Thank you @mnavarre, Dr ROK, Texas Larry, and Mudkat for your insight. It looks like the smoke tube with the SnS is the way to go.
        Last edited by SparkDog; October 23, 2019, 07:58 PM.

Comment

Yes. Grilling pellets are a thing.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here