Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some quick Vortex questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some quick Vortex questions

I have one of these, or at least, one of the Amazon knockoffs, but haven't had a chance to use it in my kettle. I'm itching to try as I have yet to get that crisp chicken skin I've been looking for on thighs.

How necessary is the Weber grate that has the removable circular middle for Vortex cooking? The reason I ask is that I did some pork steaks over an entire chimney of lit coals in the SnS and the intense heat discolored and warped slightly the bars of my standard Weber grate. Mostly concerned about metal fatigue here, not discoloration....after all, it is a cooking grate lol.

If the fancy Weber grate is something desirable to have, how do you deal with wood chunks? In my mind (and inexperience), I would think the wicked heat of the Vortex would consume the chunk of wood very rapidly if placed directly on the coals?

I use mine with out the circular center. I use a cast iron grate though. Those thin metal ones are actually better, IMHO, but they do warp.

For the wood, you can just throw it right on the fire. You want it to burn hot and fast so it will burn clean. If you throw it off to the side, it will smolder. The cleanest smoke you can have is in the heat. You can just add a few more pieces that normal.

Comment

You can use a regular grate. I do and I haven't noticed any degradation so far.

Comment

I use a regular grate, and I put a chunk of wood on top of the grate directly above the vortex so it burns pretty hot too.

Comment

• Thunder77
          Thunder77 commented
          Editing a comment
          +1 on what @kflowers said.

• surfdog
          surfdog commented
          Editing a comment
          I have the Weber GBS grate on my Summit...but use my vortex the the same.

The only problem I encountered with the standard plated grates is the heat eventually helps to degrade the plating. Once the raw steel is exposed it starts to rust, something I don't like. I therefore invested in the Weber grate with the removable center and leave it out (I think it's called the Performer Grate). I also invested in ABC's stainless steel grates which hold up well to the heat (again less some discoloration).

To answer your question, it's my opinion that the regular Weber grates will eventually suffer damage and need to be replaced using either the SNS or the Vortex appliances. The question is how long will it take before they need to be replaced? I just wasn't willing to find out.

Comment

When I was investigating the Vortex for my 22" kettle, I read in several places online that the standard Weber grate was damaged by the Vortex's high heat. That's when I ordered the one with the removable center for my 22". No regrets. I already had that style of grate for my WSCGC with which I also use a Vortex.

Kathryn

Comment

I wish they had a 26" grate with removable center, but I can't find one. I have used the Vortex in the 22" and 26" kettles, with standard grates, and have not encountered any problems.

Comment

Michael_in_TX : About the question about wood chunks: I put a chunk 4 to 6 oz in the Vortex when I get it rolling. It does not incinerate quickly. The cook usually lasts under an hour anyway, for larger chicken parts or wings.

K.

Comment

I've done both - but there are lots of hacks you can do with the vortex. Buy a pizza tray that's the lower diameter of the kettle, and cut the center out to fit the vortex. You can do this with foil too.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Lucille Race Track.jpg
Views:	1657
Size:	153.6 KB
ID:	757033

All the air will go thru your vortex. I've used this for intense heat, but low and slow too - it's amazingly conservative with fuel.

With the funnel not inverted, unlike above, I use a cast iron wok in the upgraded grate all the time. Brilliant!

Name:	Lit Vortex.jpg
Views:	1720
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	757034

I put a gasket in my lid, and the fire goes out right away when I shut it down. I've used a load of coals for three cooks without refueling. Just throw fist-sized chunks of wood right in the fire. Walmart & Menards carry all the flavors - I favor hickory and mesquite.

Name:	tnf 2.jpg
Views:	1631
Size:	169.4 KB
ID:	757035
                The veggies will get roasted on the Weber CI griddle. The sausages were smoked indirect....

You'll love the upgraded grate if you go that route, you won't regret it. Lodge CI works great there too!

Comment

• Michael_in_TX
                  Michael_in_TX commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Wow. Two BBQDragon shelves! I shied away from them due to "heat leakage" but my grill leaks anyway, I may do what you have done plus a gasket. Thank you so much for the photos!

• JGo37
                  JGo37 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Michael_in_TX the shelves don't heat up

Here’s mine in action showing the wood chunks stacked on the food grate directly above the heat.
                i also place foil around the outside of the vortex to aid in catching the chicken grease and making for an easy clean up.
                Click image for larger version  Name:	315C511B-FE23-49D3-AF9F-C3468F9DE760.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	4.17 MB ID:	757151​
                Last edited by Dadof3Illinois; October 16, 2019, 09:32 PM.

Comment

• JGo37
                  JGo37 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Above the fire on the grate is a great way to go. I do that on the SnS too.

• Thunder77
                  Thunder77 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Beauty!

Thank you all......I may ask for the upgraded grate as a Christmas present. Thank yall so much also on the wood questions. I am still learning this.

Comment

The first rule of vortex is you dont talk about vortex. The second rule of vortex....

Sorry, couldnt resist.

Comment

• Michael_in_TX
                    Michael_in_TX commented
                    Editing a comment
                    lol stap

• Thunder77
                    Thunder77 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    😝😝

Another shot with wood chunks on the grate.

​

Comment

Good info everyone. How long does it generally take to cook the wings? From most of the pictures I’ve seen it looks like everyone fills it to the top.

Comment

• RichieB
                      RichieB commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Method I use, full circle of wings on 22". Full load, coals, chunks of wood. Every 10 to 15 minutes rotate cover 90 degrees. This allows smoke to flow over wings. Do this till you're back to start. Wings should be done and balanced smoke all around. I've been more around 10 minutes for the rotation.

• surfdog
                      surfdog commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I think it was around thirty+ minutes last Sunday in my WSCG.
                      After 10-15 minutes I started to flip ‘em. Another 10 minutes or so and another turn. Some got sauced at that point, so another 10 to set and crisp up the rest. So that’s what...30-35 minutes of cook time. The only additional time will be turning them if you choose to do so. I do...but that’s pretty quick. The beauty of the vortex is that you can’t burn any of them while you’re flipping. Yes, you’ll lose heat but it comes right back.

• KarchyBBQ
                      KarchyBBQ commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I’m running about 30-35 minutes on my 26” kettle.

Unless you want to use other accessories in the hole in the grate I would say just stick with your regular grate. If it's not SS you'll probably want to replace it every so often anyway.

Comment

• Andrrr
                      Andrrr commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I was thinking I would buy the Weber grate with the hole in it. Not sure if I would actually use any of the other accessories but just in terms of longevity it just seems like the more reasonable option.

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here