Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pit Bull for Large Kettles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pit Bull for Large Kettles?

I recently purchased a Weber 26" (love it!!) and of course pimped my ride with the usual accessories like the obligatory Pit Viper fan port. My first two cooks using the fan and my Fireboard went off without incident. I did notice it took a bit longer to get up to temperature than in the 22" but that was to be expected given the additional volume.

My last two cooks; however, didn't go as smoothly. Generally I cook at around 275* for most of my extended cooks and I found the last couple of times that the fan ran at 100% and struggled a bit to maintain the 275*. There was a little bit of wind during one of the cooks but otherwise nothing out of the ordinary weather wise.

Usually start with about a dozen briquettes in the SNS with a full load of unlit in the remainder. Again same setup as always. I keep the bottom vents closed and regulate the top vent, which was 100% open for the last two cooks. The only thing I didn't try, which I'm sure someone will mention, is cracking open the bottom vents to let in additional air. That may be the trick.

My question to the group, has anyone tried using the Pit Bull fan on larger Kettles? I called BBQ Guru and they advised against it. They claimed it would overshoot my temps. I actually find that hard to believe since the Fireboard modulates the output so the fan doesn't just turn on or off. I would think the larger fan would struggle less and provide a more even temperature result.

Before I go spend $60 for a fan I may not need, I'm going to try and open my bottom vents on my next cook. Just curious if anyone has tried the larger Pit Bull fan on their kettles.

Are you using SNS XL, or the original size? I noticed that with the SNS regular size, it is more difficult for me to regulate temps in my 26.

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Using the SNS XL

I just did the individual bacon wrapped ribs recipe last night on my 26. That recipe calls for 275. It says to light a full chimney. I was concerned that that many lit coals at one time would over shoot. It did by about 40 degrees. So I closed all vents and it dropped to 275 in about 20 minutes. At that point I left the bottom vent closed, put the top at half and set the Fireboard/Pit Viper combo at 275. Ran great for me. Excluding the initial spike from removing the lid to add the food in the beginning and towards the end to check for doneness, the max the fan ran was 54% briefly. Ignore where it says "22 grate". I was too lazy to rename it.

So maybe try that. With the volume of the 26, it may need many more lit coals to maintain 275 efficiently? I've done exactly how you do it, but aiming for 225 with zero issues. It does however take a bit longer to get up to temp compared to my 22. As you said, probably due to the huge difference in volume.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	219
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	732154

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      It's just odd 2 out of four cooks with the exact same setup went off without a hitch, but the last two did not. I'm going to fiddle with the vents to see if that works, worth a try anyway.

• Rod
      Rod commented
      Editing a comment
      Maybe more leaks on the first two cooks to where the fan had some help? After those two cooks, enough gunk built up and blocked some of the leaks which made the fan do all the work? Just spitballin'.

Does the Pit Viper fan have an intake damper of some sort? Do you have that all the way open?

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      Rod I would think Troutman would have checked this, but you never know - if its down under the grill, maybe the damper got choked down. I would think you would want it wide open, unless the grill starts running too hot even with the fan off. That happens with my PartyQ sometimes, but it has no damper like the Pit Viper, so I just ride it out, or close the top vent some, and the fan doesn't run until the temp comes down some.

• Rod
      Rod commented
      Editing a comment
      Sometimes it's the simple things that can be easily overlooked. I'm sure we've all been there more than once! I know I have.

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Yea the damper is always wide open. I've never had reason to neck it down.

I feel you don't have enough starting coals with only 12, I start with 10 in my Weber 22. Up the number to 20-25 and see what happens. I assume you have the larger SnS also or if not you can add charcoal more frequently. My last cook with my Viper and 10 coals the Viper held the temp at 250 for 6 hours.

Good luck Troutman

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Yea that's the other thing Rod suggested was getting a hotter fire going then let the fan do its job. Venting and/or hotter fire may be the key.

• mountainsmoker
      mountainsmoker commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah leave the bottom vents closed and play with the top vent with the hotter fire. It may be all you need. Open up the Viper also if you need to. Make sure the grill probe is at least 3" from any meat.

Any rain or heavy humidity in between cooks ?
    I have had a few where down on the bottom half of the KBB the heat wasn’t there after a heavy rain/ humid few days
    Im like "really"
    Yes I do keep it under cover,,,

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      No, weather had nothing to do with it. My fuel stays in my garage in plastic bins.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here