Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SnS First Cook & Impressions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SnS First Cook & Impressions

Hi All, I did my first cook with the Slow & Sear Last night. It left me with a very positive impression. For my first cook, I did some beef short ribs (sorry no pics ) using the low & slow method starting with 12 Kingsford briquettes, adding an almost full chimney of unlit briquettes & 1 quart of hot water. My Weber settled in very nicely & held temp right from the start. Since it was my first cook, I decided to play around a little. I started the cook at 225, then as the cook progressed I tweaked the temperature slowly upward, stopping at 240, then 260 and finally 275. I did this to see how it would respond to upper vent changes. All in all I was impressed with how stable the temp was throughout the cook. My kettle as a little lid leak, but that did not seem to effect the temp at all. I went 6 hours, and there was still a little water in the bottom of the reservoir. Had I used a full chimney and (over) filled the SnS, I suspect I would have got 7-8 hours at 225-250.

For my next cook, I would like to do a higher temp cook and of course I want to check out it searing capabilities. I'm still holding on to my Weber charcoal baskets as I think they will come on handy fro smaller/shorter cooks like burgers or fish/shrimp. I can't see loading the SnS up with charcoal for those types of cooks even if I can shut it down to save some of the charcoal.

Overall I'm glad to have added this accessory to my arsenal

I know it sounds cliche but that sucker is a game changer. You next need to get into fan control, that and the SNS makes a kettle one mean machine.

Comment

Awesome! I use the top vent as my thermostat.

Comment

Thanks for the quality review of the SNS. I hear nothing but good about them.

Comment

It's a good tool for sure. Keep in mind you can still load a small amount of lit coals into the SnS for quick cooks & searing, you don't need to fill it up. It will channel heat up better than the vented Weber baskets. But hey, experiment and have fun!

Comment

My SnS stays in my kettle for all cooks big or small, unless I’m using my vortex . I did burgers last night and some boneless skinless thighs tonight. For both those cooks I used a 1/3 full SnS.

Comment

• FishTalesNC
              FishTalesNC commented
              Editing a comment
              Exactly.

• efincoop
              efincoop commented
              Editing a comment
              That's great to know. I will be sure to experiment as Huskee suggested, but its good to have a starting point. Thank you.

I also have this SnS and are quite happy with it.
            What i discoverd was that i need to exchange the ashwiper/valve coz it doesent close the valve good enough making the SnS burn too hot..
            Last edited by Elton's BBQ; July 2, 2019, 02:15 AM. Reason: Autocorrect fubar

Comment

I love my SnS.

Comment

I don't even bother using my chimney any more. I just dump charcoal in the SnS and light it with a torch. Most of my cooks are hot and fast (burgers, chix breasts, etc) so once I'm done I just shut the vents down and leave the charcoal for another day. The next time I cook, depending on how much charcoal had been used, I just grab the bag, fill the SnS and light. A similar technique to what the kamado guys use. Of course you have sweep the ash out and stir the old charcoal around to get the ash out, but it makes for a simple life. My lighting technique for hot and fast is to light both ends and the middle. Usually, in less than 20 minutes I'm ready to cook and I don't have to dump the hot coals in the SnS, then find a safe spot for the chimney while it cools off.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here