Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SNS Slow N Sear with sand?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SNS Slow N Sear with sand?

Hello all. For some smoking situations, I prefer to run my SNS dry. Has anyone tried using sand in the water chamber? I assume it might work as both heat-sink (thermal mass) and insulator to even out temperatures inside the pit.

Or is the air gap in the empty water chamber good enough?

I will try this sometime this week but thought I’d check with you all first. Thanks!

Despite havin 'a few' Weber kettles, an cookin outdoors 'every now an again', as well as 'a few' SnS, + an XL'...I've not tried this.

I've either used water, or not...both based upon th situation/protein(s)/time constraints of th particular moment(s)

With absolute certainty, sand would create a (certain degree of) thermal barrier, but my best (unedjumacated) guess would be that, given th rest of th airflow profile, it would be a negligible difference, at best...

Would I try it? Nope, seems like more time/labour-intensive investment vs. payoff/dividend potential, imho...
    (An I don't wanna haveta clean alla th sand outta my SnS, later )

Should ya try it? By all means, I would look forward to yer experience, findins, an results, should ya choose to do so...

I'm ALL about learnin, science, methods, techniques, etc.; that's why this is such a richly rewardin place to habitate, here in cyberworld...

As I ponder th experiment/ results, it doth seem to me that th only way to achieve empirical evidence, that is scientifically valid, would be to do an enormous mutiplicity of test runs, with th exact same fire, an th exact same proteins, under th exact same ambient temps, winds, humidity, etc.

Obviously, makin all th constants constant, in order to have th variables to analyze is th hurdle I see, that has prevented me from, heretofore, makin such a time investiture...

I will be followin with great interest, if/when ya decide to blaze this trail, Brother!

Reckon I've bout used up my ¢2

Comment

Nope. I like a moist chamber for a most all of my cooks.

Comment

sand and water have very different specific heat capacities. Water has a very high specific heat capacity (4.187 kj/kg/deg C) whereas sand is much lower (0.830 kj/kg/deg C).

I think that means you would need about 5x the mass of sand to capture the same heat. Considering the density of dry fine sand and water...i think it works out to you still needing about 3 times the volume of sand than water.

All that said, i think it means that sand would actually not be an effective heat sink/thermal mass compared to water in the SnS.

Comment

• Anton32828
          Anton32828 commented
          Editing a comment
          Good point regarding thermal mass. Sand might just be more trouble than it’s worth. Now, a custom-fit slug of cast iron could do the trick...

Air gap the way it’s designed sounds right. No muss, no fuss.

Sand will still contain moisture until it completely dries out. It is just the nature of the beast, unless you can buy laboratory quality sand and then you will pay a pretty penny. But definitely go ahead and try it and let us know how it worked out.

Comment

• Anton32828
          Anton32828 commented
          Editing a comment
          I have a few 5-gal buckets of paver-stone sand left over from my patio installation last year. Definitely not lab grade!

My first thought on seeing the title was "How do you light the sand"...

I agree with others, either water or not, but no sand. However, I am interested in your results.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
          ComfortablyNumb commented
          Editing a comment
          Mix in gasoline, of course.

DISCLAIMER: It's a joke, don't try it at home or anywhere else for that matter.

You could always sell the sand as "craft sand".
        Last edited by Jerod Broussard; June 24, 2019, 10:47 AM. Reason: No need to bring in the other stuff.

Comment

• texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          You would need to figure out the carbon footprint first.

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          On th face of it, appears to be gluten-free, as well
          Not a professional Dietician, here, however, so proceed accordingly...
          Anton32828

• RickyBobby
          RickyBobby commented
          Editing a comment
          🤣🤣🤣

Before I bought an SnS I used a fire brick to separate the coals when I was smoking or cooking indirect with my Weber. It worked OK, but SnS works better (with water). I think filling it with sand will function about the same as the fire brick did. It'll work OK, but not as well as with water.

Comment

• Bkhuna
          Bkhuna commented
          Editing a comment
          Water boils a 212F. No matter how much heat you throw at it, in its liquid form it cant be hotter than 212F.

Sand which is mostly Silica dioxide and remains solid at close to 3000F. It will get just as hot as the fire and cant act as a heat sink.

Sand is not a good choice to fill a water pan in a smoker.

Like sitting on pins and needles,
          Things fall apart,
          It's scientific.

I rarely put water in the SNS anymore. I’m using it less in general (water in my cooks). With that said, while sand will hold onto heat and probably heat up evenly, the hollow wall helps prevent hot spots on the indirect side.

The air gap works really well. I had to cram a bunch of steaks in for the first half of a reverse sear yesterday and even the ones near the fire, right next to the end of the SNS wall where the fire didn’t show any noticeable differences.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here