Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Long slow cook with S&S ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update:

I've found that not fully covering the charcoal grate with foil seems to do the trick for me. Just a piece in the center area to catch drippings, preventing too much air being funneled into the S&S.

Have some spares on now. Started with 10 hot coals and poured 2/3 of a large chimney on that (spread out of course). Filled the water reservoir, left the bottom vents fully open and the top vents at about 1/8. Been almost an hour now and the temp is holding nicely at 230 - 240 without any further adjustments.

Can't wait for the smoked spare's dinner!

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Mbloto View Post
      Is anyone using the S&S for long (6 hour) cooks? I'm having a problem doing this and have gone back to the snake. The S&S would provide a larger cook area so I would like to know how others are accomplishing this.
      Dave
      I do 18+ hours cooks with the Slow 'N Sear. Now, cooking that long will certainly require refueling at some point. With the right charcoal, I can go 10 to 12 hours before needing more fuel if cooking at 225F grate temperature. That is with Weber briquets. With Kingsford (KBB) I get 7-8 hours on a load, and with Royal Oak I get 5-6.

The key is, when it is time to refuel, do this:

1. Open the grill (obviously!)

2. Clean out the ashes in the bottom of the kettle by working the ash cleanup handle a couple times, being sure to reset to your original vent position for the bottom vent. If you are worried about fine ash flying up and getting on your meat, cover it with a piece of foil momentarily. I don't, as most ash, if any, goes up and away (for me).

3. This is the most important step. Use your charcoal rake, scoop, shovel, whatever, and rake ALL remaining coals into the very end of the Slow 'N Sear, packed as tight as you can get them. You are going for the way you started originally - all the burning coals in the very end, and unburnt coals in the rest of the SNS.

4. Pour charcoal or shovel it in to fill in the rest of the SNS, so that it can burn back across again. Add any wood chunks you want on top.

5. Cover her up, and continue to cook.

That took a lot longer for me to type than it actually takes to do. Most of my use of the SNS is for long, overnight cooks, and if doing anything other than ribs - brisket and butts for example - I usually end up refueling at some point.

Comment

Thanks for all the tips and tricks. My temp seems to hold well using a smaller piece of foil under the ribs.

Have some back ribs on now and will open the lid after about 4 hours to check the coals. If I need to add I'll use method described by jfmorris.

Thanks again to all, and happy smoking!

Comment

Every grill is different and every day you grill is different. I strongly recommend keeping a diary of the conditions of your cooks. I have done so over the 40 years I have been smoking. If it is hot outside you may only need 8 coals. If I want to slow smoke I may only start with 4 coals to maintain a 180 to 190 temp. It is great for bacon.

Never be disappointed in your smoke. There are many different things that can change from smoke to smoke. Weather, meat density, you name it, it can change your cook. Keep your chin up and keep going.

Comment

I run the top vent almost wide open and have the bottom vent fixed for temp.

Comment

I guess I'm in the minority here but I fill it about halfway with unlit charcoal and a few wood chunks then cover it with a dozen or so lit coals. It works great for me and I've never had a problem holding 250/275 degrees. Just a simple matter of micro-managing the vents.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here