Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First SnS Cook Suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First SnS Cook Suggestions?

I finally got my SnS yesterday!! I got it to replace my Webber baskets which are pretty much falling apart now after one year. Apparently they couldn't take the heat... of the Webber kettle... that they were designed for.

Anywho... I could immediately tell that the SnS was up to the task when I pulled it out of the box and I'm excited for my first cook with it this weekend. I also got the drip'n'griddle (DnG?) Any suggestions on breaking it in?? I was thinking about reverse searing a couple ribeyes.

Yes, cold grate reverse sear some beef!

Comment

Or maybe a pork shoulder.

Comment

• ClayJones
        ClayJones commented
        Editing a comment
        Huh... You know what, that's a great point man. Doing that and a steak or two would be a good way to test my Maverick 4 probe too.

I know I've said this before but I don't know many other places where I get such consistently good advice. Amazingribs is the best!

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        ClayJones I use my kettle+SNS for most of my cooks now, as it uses maybe 1/4 or less of the fuel that my offset uses. I highly recommend smoking a butt all the way with the SNS. I've got an Anova, but find low and slow BBQ of butts, brisket and ribs to be best smoked all the way (to me).

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Smoke it, all th way, at least once...

I sincerely doubt ya'll ever look back...

Welcome to the club, this will take your kettle to a new level. I think I did wibs as my 1st cook, but Wibeyes would be a very honorable and elegant break-in.

Comment

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, love dem wibs!

Definitely reverse sear some steaks with the ABCBBQ cold grate technique.

Comment

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        Wibeyes will be instant gwatification!

My first cook was a reverse seared tri tip with the cold great technique, it was great

Comment

Well, Clay, first of all, congrats! I think ya'll like yer spiffy new SnS a whole bunch!

Second, what all do ya have thawed / available, there at home?

Third, what are ya hungry fer, an hankerin after, right about now?

If it ain't thawed out, there at home, why I'd jus go to th grocery, an git it...

Never a bad idea to cover yer DnG with some aluminium foil, to ease cleanup...

Whatever ya decide, Brother, have a great break-in / first cook!

I'm lookin forward to yer pics, an impressions...

Comment

• ClayJones
          ClayJones commented
          Editing a comment
          Man, I'm glad you said somethin. I might have forgot the pics!

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Lol! I know yer much more organized, meticulous, an fastidious-minded, to ever allow such a thing to happen, Clay! ClayJones

Commencing "cold grate technique" research!

I actually don't have anything in the freezer that isn't cooked... Going to the butcher.

I need a bigger freezer.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          I hear ya (Bigger freezer)
          Bought me one, round last October, to accommodate th quarter Angus beef, 216 lbs., I went in on...my duplex has a tiny (~10-ish ft²) late '70's fridge, with a correspondingly dinky freezer; it was makin me plumb loco, when encounterin great sale prices on meat!
          Also, have bought / will retrieve shortly, a ~ 14 ft², late '90's fridge fer my garage, to keep my 5 ft² Insignia deep freeze company, an expand what I can do, here...

Hunnert bucks, well spent

You're going to love using that SnS and DnG, ClayJones . Thoughtfully designed and made from top notch materials.

As you probably know, the Adrenaline Barbecue site has a ton of really great recipes. You'll find the Cold Grate Technique here.

Have fun with your new toy.

Kathryn

Comment

• ClayJones
          ClayJones commented
          Editing a comment
          Fantastic. Thanks for the link Doc!

How many will you be cookin' for? If just yourself, I'd front sear a ribeye on an upside down chimney of hot coals and then dump them in the SnS in one corner. Then I'd add unlit coals to fill the rest of the basket and go slow with your steak. You can either add a butt at this time, or after the steak is ready. That will allow you to knock off two cooks with one SnS full of charcoal - although you may have to add more charcoal to finish the butt depending on size.

Comment

• ClayJones
          ClayJones commented
          Editing a comment
          Love that idea Ron. I never would have thought of that. BTW I grew up in Chesterfield Headed down there tomorrow as a matter of fact for a meeting.

• RonB
          RonB commented
          Editing a comment
          ClayJones - if you have the time, I suggest checking out ZZQ for lunch or dinner.It near the Diamond to give you an idea of it's location.

You want this ?? .......

Click image for larger version  Name:	Porterhouse 04.jpg Views:	2 Size:	958.9 KB ID:	679577

....then you want a Weber kettle, SNS, reverse sear, cold grate method. Any questions ??

Click image for larger version  Name:	Captain Obvious.gif Views:	1 Size:	925.2 KB ID:	679578

Comment

• ColonialDawg
          ColonialDawg commented
          Editing a comment
          I’ll take the one on the left. What time should I be there?

Cway Jones, stick with the wibeyes or wibs, you can’t go wong!

Comment

Meat.

Comment

I think your instincts are spot on. Ribeyes, reverse seared if 3/4" or more. Front seared otherwise. I tried the technique on the ABC videos and my family never wants me to look back.

Comment

Reverse sear ribeyes for lunch, then set your vents and toss a rack of ribs in for dinner (4-6 hours). The ribs will let you see how the vent control works with the SNS over a slow cook.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here