Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking to Add some tools to my arsenal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking to Add some tools to my arsenal

Thinking over the next year I am starting to see the value of a really good food prep station set up. Do you keep your tinfoil in the box, or put it on a roller (insane how much tinfoil I am now going through, also thinking a nice digital scale, but, what is really needed for the amount it can weigh, I see the idea of the pull out scale area for viewing the read out?, I would like to get a portable 1 or 2 burner table top burner set up (micro brewing, boiling water or cooking soups etc outside, and for canning, I am also looking to look at food vacuum sealers, and pan set up to replace throw away tin foil pans I assume any old alum pan I find or already have as long as not coated with teflon would work for this job, and a stainless stock pot (hope to find a used one).

Whew...
    Since I'm no longer purchasing foil in bulk rolls...I simply leave it in the box.
    I have a digital scale...and I use it...but I think it maxes out at around 4lbs...so it's mostly used for "light" items...like when making rubs...or breads.
    For brewing, I have a somewhat tall "turkey fryer." As yet it has never seen a turkey. LOL I've got my eye on the Camp Chef Somerset IV after seeing it discussed around here by fzxdoc
    I have a Food Saver...decent unit but they're all about the same. Find one with a price you can live with.
    Pans are kind of a personal thing... I have numerous All-Clad...but have used "no-name" pans in a professional setting. Sure, the All-Clad might last longer...but the restaurant supply pans are exceedingly inexpensive. Purchase extras and don't even worry about one getting mashed.
    Check out a local restaurant supply for a stockpot... Sure, one can go "All-In" ;-) or simply get what suits their needs and budget...and most supply stores are going to be hard to beat at retail.
    Last edited by surfdog; May 8, 2019, 09:09 PM.

Comment

• Richard Chrz
      Richard Chrz commented
      Editing a comment
      surfdog Thank you for your reply. I am really hoping to not go "all in" I guess. just trying to find some of the basics that I should probably have in my kitchen (if i get all of these in a year, that would be quick for me. I'd rather find hacks in what I already own, but, starting to realize a few of the things I might find useful as I go a bit deeper into the various processes I could control myself if I choose. ... "kind of thing" If I could find all of these used.. I would.

Well Richard, ya can tell yer a geezer. Cuz only us geezers refer to it as tin foil. The whippersnappers call it alunininamum. 🕶

Comment

• Elton's BBQ
      Elton's BBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      I use just the word "foil"

• Chuck in Charlotte
      Chuck in Charlotte commented
      Editing a comment
      For those of us in the South, it's "fawl."

• klflowers
      klflowers commented
      Editing a comment
      I make my hats out of that tinfoil stuff.

I've got a very affordable 11lb-max digital scale from Amazon, about the size of an iPad. Cheap. Wanna say $15-20. Love it, can weigh my brisket trimmings and with simple math can essentially weigh my trimmed brisket. Cycles between lb & oz, gram, etc. I leave my foil in the box. Always Reynold's Heavy Duty twin packs from Sam's- best deal for me. Also got one of the mid-to-low range FoodSaver sealers, love it too! I rarely buy pricey stuff. I get by.

Comment

• Richard Chrz
      Richard Chrz commented
      Editing a comment
      Huskee Thank you. I am not a pricey buyer either. I'd rather put the extra money towards meat. 15-20 dollars for an 11 lb scale sounds about perfect price.

Originally posted by FireMan View Post
    Well Richard, ya can tell yer a geezer. Cuz only us geezers refer to it as tin foil. The whippersnappers call it alunininamum. 🕶
    Ha, yeah, probably dated myself there.

Comment

I buy heavy duty Reynolds foil and leave it in the box. The bulk stuff, to me feels thin. I’m sure it works great, just what I buy. As for a scale, I have two. One that has a reader that I can pull away, but only goes to 5lbs. I have another one that goes up to 12lbs and I have started to use that more so the last few months. You can see a photo of it in my charcuterie thread. the vac sealer I have is a Cabelas brand that is a year or two old. It works great and wasn’t the top of the line. Probably $120-150 if I remember correctly. But they don’t carry that model any longer, at last in the store. But it has done great and I use it often for leftovers that I want to freeze. Also has worked well for Sous Vide!

Comment

This is the Mac Daddy of "tin foil" for me, the big 'ol box of foil from Costco. Nice heavy cardboard box, built in cutter edge, plastic rollers. I swear I've had one box last over a year and still has a little bit left in it....

I've had one of these for like 5-6 years. Cost me $12 on Amazon. Weighs up to 50 lbs. Originally used it as a postal scale, now use it in my kitchen. Very accurate, calibrated and checked it several times. Best buy ever imo.....

Comment

You mention you are looking for a "...portable 1 or 2 burner table top burner set up". I think you mean one like pictured below, but not sure.

I did some research on this myself and ended up with the Camp Chef Everest portable stove because my BBQ doesn't have a side burner. The Everest seemed to be the one that won 'camp stove of the year' on the most sites. It works as advertised for me. The Camp Chef website price shows as $145 US but I picked one up on Amazon for $115 CDN which is about $75 bucks US.

Click image for larger version

Name:	snip_20190509124307.png
Views:	172
Size:	173.4 KB
ID:	676543

- 2 X 20,000 BTU burners. This is crazy hot. People say it boils water faster that the larger Camp Chef stoves. Compared to my old Coleman, it is no comparison.
          - definitely hot enough to sear or do smash burgers
          - Also has better wind protection than the larger Camp Chef stoves
          - extra wide - I can fit a 12 and a 10 inch cast iron fry pan on it
          - good controls from simmer to max
          - extra wide burner (5 inches I think) so I can get even heat on a 10 fry pan (not the 12)
          - igniter

Downsides I see:
          - uses small propane cans, I use a conversion hose so I can use 20lb tanks
          - not going to give you the grilling experience of a large griddle with wall to wall constant temp
          - I could have gotten a larger 2 burner stove like the explorer for $85 CDN more. This would have allowed me to add Camp Chef griddles for an additional $150 CDN and basically had a diner in my back yard! Problem is, I would never use it. We just don't griddle much, and I have Grill Grates for my gasser for a large crowd of smash burgers.

Comment

• Richard Chrz
            Richard Chrz commented
            Editing a comment
            Hugh thank you for sharing that, it was one of my thoughts, I have an old coleman 2 burner, might have to pull that out and see what I can run for temps on that. Good to know you can also run that on the 20 gallon tank. the fuel size was one of my concerns. I hate to have to stop and look at that stuff. I like to set it and forget it. lol Thank you again!

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here