Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Griddle on the Kettle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Griddle on the Kettle

I don't want an additional griddle grill, like Blackstone simply don't have the space, i'm in Switzerland ;-) What i am looking for is an add-on to either my 22" or 26" Weber Kettle and still have a similar cooking experience like with for example the Blackstone.

i have been using the Drip ‘N Griddle Pan of SnS and the biggest Lodge Logic Iron Griddle, which both are great, but with, for what i am looking for, not enough griddle space.

I have been looking at the Littlegriddle products https://www.littlegriddle.com and also at the Mojoegriddle http://www.mojoegriddle.com. The Arteflame insert for the Weber https://arteflame.com/collections/gr...-grill-inserts mentioned in others threads, looks great and seems like also a good option. But i don't see me cooking for example fried rice on it, since the griddle space is reduced by the fire hole in the middle. I don't see it as that practical like cooking with a Blackstone?

Looking forward to suggestions, pointers, experiences.

ive read good things about this if you are cool with cast iron. Never used it myself though

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep grantgallagher I just found it for $77 on Home Depot's website. That is not bad at all actually. I may get one of those at some point. That said, I prefer gridding on my gas grill, as it's easier to get setup and at a specific temperature compared to a charcoal kettle for that type cook.

• chenrici
      chenrici commented
      Editing a comment
      It looks like those could do the job, but unfortunately for me , no shipping to switzerland grantgallagher

• aladdin4d
      aladdin4d commented
      Editing a comment
      chenrici Stok is a Techtronic Industries, TTI, brand TTI is best known for power tool brands like Milwaukee and Ryobi. They also make Ridgid power tools under license for sale in the US but in Europe they are sold under the AEG name. Stok stuff is usually sold at the same places that sell TTI tools. In the US that means Home Depot and Direct Tools. If Stok stuff is sold in Europe, it's likely going to be from someplace that also carries Ryobi and/or AEG tools.

I also recommend checking out the weber forums because if there are options or solutions then they will probably be posted there.

Comment

The Arteflame has an insert grate for the donut hole in the middle. Granted, that insert is a grate - it has holes - but it does do a good job of preventing odds and ends from falling through. I have the Arteflame for my 26. You can fit a lot of stuff on it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1605 (1).JPG
Views:	3008
Size:	232.7 KB
ID:	649973

Name:	IMG_1017 (2).JPG
Views:	2968
Size:	198.2 KB
ID:	649974

Name:	IMG_1029 (4).JPG
Views:	3429
Size:	238.9 KB
ID:	649975

Name:	IMG_1028 (3).JPG
Views:	3049
Size:	204.5 KB
ID:	649976

Comment

• chenrici
        chenrici commented
        Editing a comment
        How cool is that, really looks great. The Arteflame is high in my list .... Have you ever done something like fried rice? Did that work? I just saw, they have a Foodsaver: https://arteflame.com/collections/ac...ame-food-saver. That should do the Job probably...ahhh just saw that this is not for inserts
        Last edited by chenrici; March 14, 2019, 07:48 AM.

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        How messy does your kettle get when cooking stuff like that on the Arteflame? Does the grease just end up in the ash catch under the kettle?

• JeffJ
        JeffJ commented
        Editing a comment
        jfmorris when I'm done cooking I push the grease onto the fire. Easy peasy.

I like to use my 14" Lodge Baking pan. This is great for anything on a kettle or kamado. It is really heavy and retains heat very well.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	P14P3_N.jpg Views:	1 Size:	19.6 KB ID:	649991

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        It most certainly does! castironchris

• chenrici
        chenrici commented
        Editing a comment
        I think , that‘s in the end what i will be going for. Any thoughts this veraus Lodge 15 Inch Carbon Steel Skillet? https://shop.lodgemfg.com/seasoned-s...el-skillet.asp. Seems also quite convinient? Spinaker

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Both of them will work fine but the cast-iron skillet will retain heat better. Carbon steel can also warp fairly easily under high heat. chenrici

I imagine any griddle type insert for the round kettles will either need to have a hole in the center, like the Arteflame inserts, or an opening around the outside perimeter, like that Stok griddle (which is apparently not for sale anywhere). Otherwise, you have no air flow, and the fire will be snuffed out.

Like you, I've used the Drip 'N Griddle, and you could probably fit 2 of those on a kettle, but the draw back of the Drip 'N Griddle is that it has no grease management, or even a way for the grease to drip off into the kettle and drain to the ash catch, and like a frying pan, grease keeps getting deeper and deeper in the Drip 'N Griddle. I did smash burgers on it once, and only the first batch came out properly, as there was too much pooled grease on the second round of burgers.

What I have used on my gas grill and my kettle for griddling stuff like burgers and bacon is a set of Grillgrates, with the flat side up. It works great. That said, it would not work for things like eggs or pancakes, or anything runny, due to the holes. It would work for about anything else though, and the grill grates for the 22.5" kettle give you full useable space for grilling things like chicken, burgers and chops, without losing space to a 2 zone setup.

Comment

• gcdmd
        gcdmd commented
        Editing a comment
        Maybe a combination of the flipped grill grates and a grill mat would work.

• chenrici
        chenrici commented
        Editing a comment
        Exactly my experience with Drip 'N Griddle too. Grillgates, yes, but exactly, i would love do eggs , rice etc on the Griddle.. jfmorris
        Last edited by chenrici; March 14, 2019, 07:58 AM.

What about a couple of these? They could be tossed down on a set of Grillgrates, or on the original grate. Granted, it is not round, but rectangular, so you would have to measure to see what would fit the diameter of the kettle.

The GrateGriddle With the addition of the GrateGriddle to our family of products you now have the ability to cook virtually anything on your grill. Perfect for searing steaks and fish, does wonders for vegetables and have you ever cooked breakfast on your grill? Bacon and eggs are a delight! Available in eight sizes. All GrateGriddles are 9.375" wide and made from hard anodized aluminum Interlocking sides allows seamless integration with GrillGrates Lay on top of your GrillGrates or interlock to go beside them The GrateGriddle doubles as a defroster plate

Comment

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        chenrici there would be no grease management using the griddle plates - it would run off the edges, and ultimately, end up in the ash pan at the bottom of the kettle. If cooking food like chicken or pork, with lots of fat, that is where it ends up anyway, unless you have it all over a drip pan. I use the Grillgrates on my kettle all the time, and what grease does not vaporize drips through the holes, and it doesn't seem to be a big problem for me.

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        Drum cookers hang the food over the charcoal basket and it drips down and vaporizes on the coals. So I don't think grease would be a huge issue, but cannot confirm that.

• JimLinebarger
        JimLinebarger commented
        Editing a comment
        I have 3 of those for my Blaze gasser. They work great but they have a hump seam where they connect making them act more like 3 individual griddles. Also, since there are no sides, veggies and loose foods tend to spill over onto the burners if they are not right up next to the edges of the grill. Wish I got the LittleGriddle Pro Full size or the Sizzle-Q.

I wonder if there are any experiences / thoughts on Littlegriddle https://www.littlegriddle.com and also at the Mojoegriddle http://www.mojoegriddle.com?

Comment

Originally posted by chenrici View Post
        I wonder if there are any experiences / thoughts on Littlegriddle https://www.littlegriddle.com and also at the Mojoegriddle http://www.mojoegriddle.com?
        I am pretty sure I've seen the Littlegriddle discussed here before. I like it for gas grills at least, as it does add a grease catch. Once it fills up though, you need to soak it up with some paper towels or something to empty it during use I imagine.

This model looks great for use on a kettle:

https://www.littlegriddle.com/collec...el-bbq-griddle

The Mojoe looks intriguing, but I could not use it on my Weber Performer, as it has no grease management. All the grease from cooking would be running off the edges, onto your cart, or onto the ground. It would be fine on a standalone kettle out in the yard, but I would not want grease spilling over the edges onto a deck or patio, staining everything.
        Last edited by jfmorris; March 14, 2019, 10:49 AM.

Comment

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          Argh. chenrici why did you ask about Little Griddle! Now I see that the Professional Full Size model would fit my gas grill, and it is added to the list of things I want...

• chenrici
          chenrici commented
          Editing a comment
          Great input! the point with the grease management of the Mojoe is a good one. Yep mine are a standalone Weber Kettles standing on a gravel soil, so that could work. And the Little Griddle Full Size maybe could even fit on my 26" Really helpful, jfmorris.... when albeit with remorse, haha ;-) ....
          Last edited by chenrici; March 14, 2019, 11:05 AM.

If you have a picnic table outside, you could get the table top black stone and use it when you do fried rice or eggs. Does mean you need a bit more storage space though.

Comment

• chenrici
          chenrici commented
          Editing a comment
          Yep, bringing the Blackstone back into the game. Must be a great griddle in which variant whatever... hmmm got me thinking, maybe there is still some room in the garden. Initially i wanted to stick with what i am using in terms of fuel: charcoal and wood. jgreen

I've seen these on YouTube videos, stainless steel and won't warp. Don't know about shipping to Switzerland.

Comment

You could do fried rice on the Arteflame insert.

Name:	sMu1hMmImTDALZXy3vwl7w_qLLIZ80WTvpjtHWTW1zNf_KRAeHPu91mD5xLIVtgDw0EfRjVcOOh-ivK2thHBymcF6YnKaySra6kajA0xatUtYm8zy_UOwYAaystxnEhce9kMdNQit7bfKVhCGelVpg8Zo0AOXWAecPHzCmh4CU9cTQqMttw5rDOK4QHkbQl3ZL1i7E8lHAfAaYA7TLDZNR4c4PBAywLcj7FWJUV80yykTD_3NUtptarn3jjJfJX
Views:	2924
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	650227

I might opt for a cast iron wok instead.

Name:	20120610-stir-fry-grill-wok-01.jpg
Views:	2955
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	650228 ​​​​​​​

Comment

• Attjack
            Attjack commented
            Editing a comment
            I always go for both!

• chenrici
            chenrici commented
            Editing a comment
            I could be even running both , the iron cast wok , could be used on top of the grate of the arteflame

• Attjack
            Attjack commented
            Editing a comment
            I like your plan.

Explore our collection of Baking Steel Griddles . Perfect on your stove top. Works with both gas and electric stovetops, induction or even over the campfire. The "Worlds best home cooking surface". A french plancha for the home cook.

another option.

Comment

Just saw in an other thread and adding here for completeness. Could this be a good griddle: https://www.amazon.com/Skyflame-Stai...Kettle-Cooktop. Although looks very similar to the Arteflame griddle, cheaper and probably less quality

Comment

Huh. I use the DNG. I put on some gloves and drain the grease into a can. Two of them should fit.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here