Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Slow N Sear Accesories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slow N Sear Accesories

So, I was kicking around ordering a Slow N Sear today, and I went to the manufacturers web page, and was contemplating the various accessories and package deals they have if you order them together (haven't actually done the price breakdown yet, but I assume you get a little break by purchasing them together).

I was wondering whether there is a consensus was on which accessories were worth having. The two zone cooking great seems like a good idea, with the EZ spin handles. Not sure about the griddle or pan though. I also kind of like the elevated cooking grate.

Or should I skip the accessories and just get the Slow N Sear?

What Say You?

The griddle pan seems pretty cool. I don't own one, but it would nbe nice to have to keep things clean, if nothing else. I hate wasting foil on stuff like that. And I suppose you could use it to cook on too.

Comment

• jmwaldhelm
      jmwaldhelm commented
      Editing a comment
      I have the Slow & Sear and the griddle (combo purchase), makes for a clean look in the bottom of the Weber, and I line the griddle with heavy duty aluminum foil for easy cleanup.

Haven’t used it as a griddle yet - it’s heavy SS like the SNS, nice accessory.

I have the SnS for a few years and love what it can do. I just bought the EZ spin (old grate was getting, well old) but haven't used it yet. I use foil on the charcoal grate to catch drippings and divert air to the charcoals so have no need of the griddle.
    Elevated cooking sounds good but was thinking about the hover grill. Still just thinking...…..

Comment

I can see good uses for most of the accessories but I don't think they are on the "need" level like the SNS is. I wouldn't mind having any or all of them but haven't been able to justify pulling the trigger on them yet.

Comment

I have one and ended up buying the EZ Spin Grate. Mine is on a 26" kettle, so I'm not certain about the fit on a 22", but I got really annoyed with the way-too-small hinged portion of the Weber grate, it just didn't allow enough access to the SNS. The EZ Spin grate's hinged section matches the size of the SNS, made life much easier. I'd get a Drip N Griddle if they made one for the 26". As noted above it really does help to direct airflow up thru the SNS, however you do it.

Comment

I have the SnS, DnG, EZ Spin grate and the elevated grate. Love them all for the reason folks have stated above. I haven't yet dialed in the temps on the elevated grate. In hind sight I wish I would have bought the combo packs as you do save a few bucks.

Comment

The griddle is nice. I use it exclusively at catch drippings since I have the drop-in cast iron griddle for my Performer via the Gourmet BBQ grate and the Arteflame for the 26. I'm lazy though and I wait for it to get really larded up before I remove the grease. I noticed a little mold developing on it which I'll have to deal with come spring.

Comment

I am partial to the Slow 'N Sears, if you know the back story you know why... But beyond that, while I don't do the cold grate searing technique much I am still a fan of Dave's Easy Spin grate, and here's why- I had used the Weber stainless steel hinged grates for years, already owned them and didn't want to buy more grates. But with the Webers the hinged part isn't really big enough for easy re-loading during an SnS cook. When there's a brisket on the grates it's tough to move everything to re-load with ease, although not impossible, but the opened part doesn't like up perfectly with the SnS coal basket, assuming you leave 1" space between the SnS and the kettle wall. I bought Dave's grate and it's perfect. Makes sense, it was made specifically for what SnS users do.

I also have the DnG pan. I don't use it as a drip pan myself. I use it as a griddle when I need to grill small items that can't be grilled on grates- like veggies for fajitas for instance. I use foil for a drip pan, easy to roll up & toss. I don't want to have to clean the DnG pan so this is why I don't use it for that. I realized I would just end up covering it in foil for cleanup ease, so then I figured eliminate the middleman and just don't use it for a drip pan, so that's how I roll. I have not used the coated DnG pan, seems promising if you'd use it for its purpose.

I also really like the Elevated Cooking Grate (although personally I would have named it the Bunkbed Grate). It puts meat up where the majority of the heat is (kettles using a SnS are of course hotter in the upper areas, you can rise about 30* in an inch or two), allowing you to cook at a 'lower temp' essentially, compared to the actual main grate level temp, prolonging the coal efficiency & longevity. It also allows more meat during a cook if you're also using the main grate. And what's nice about the ECG is it is made specially to fit on the main grate, like puzzle pieces.

Lastly, I am a big fan of the Maverick XR50 thermometer. For the price and what you get it truly is a fantastic thermometer.

Comment

• klflowers
                klflowers commented
                Editing a comment
                Everything he said. I have the coated DNG and it works like a charm.
                Last edited by klflowers; March 4, 2019, 09:48 AM. Reason: DNG, not dang. Auto-correct corrects for my slang now.

Ditto to what Huskee said, however I have 2 SS DnG pans and 1 SS roasting rack. 1 DnG is foil covered for drippings and to direct airflow to the SnS. Unless I need every inch of the cooking grate for food, I typically use my 2nd DnG + roasting rack to dry brine, add rub, store in my garage refrigerator, transport to the kettle, and cook on it. I haven't used it much to griddle on yet.

Comment

IMO just get the SnS and wait for the other items. I use foil for catching the drippings and directing air flow. I can use a couple bricks and spare grate for extra room. I like frog mats and use them like crazy. I would spend my money on those and a couple more sheet pans.

Comment

I know this thread is about accessories but I want to say something about the SnS itself - for me, what makes it so great is how great of a 2-zone grill it converts the kettle into. That's the beauty of its design IMO. Seriously, how often do we cook low/slow (usually for a small crowd) vs how often are we grilling dinner for the family on a weeknight?

psssttt...here's the dirty little secret - the SnS that is sized for the 22 works just as well in the 26. I move mine back and forth between my 2 big kettles, depending on which one I am going to use.

Comment

• HawkerXP
                    HawkerXP commented
                    Editing a comment
                    what! is that allowed?

Thank you all for the great info, still haven't completely made up my mind, but this helps a lot. I thi k the ex spin is likely, for access as Huskee points out.

Comment

I have both the SnS and the drip pan. Have to say I love both and I have used the drip pan to cook in and it did a great job for fajita peppers and onions and the sliced chicken and steak. It cleaned up fairly easily and I was concerned I would end up with a rocking chair rail after the heat, but that wasn’t the case. Good luck deciding.

Comment

I have the drip n' griddle pan, and I use it a lot. Mostly for catching drips, but it also does help funnel airflow to the coals. It's also great for doing smash burgers. For me it was worth it just so I didn't have to mess with foil all the time.

Comment

The SnS is a total fixture in my grilling-smoking. I hardly could imagine grilling without it. The DnG is an awesome pan. Much more than griddle and a drip pan. I used it for roasting almost everything. Oven or grill. It is an awesome serving tray..Totally universal. So much so I have two. I say as much as your budget will allow.

Comment

• Huskee
                          Huskee commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I noticed you said budget and didn't say "as much as your significant other will allow"...Lol...

• Murdy
                          Murdy commented
                          Editing a comment
                          "I noticed you said budget and didn't say "as much as your significant other will allow"...Lol... "

TO-MAY-TOW / TO-MAH-TOW

• troymeister
                          troymeister commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Well very often it's the significant other who controls the budget...

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here