Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Santa Maria Grilling on the Weber Kettle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I feel the MCS Monster stirring in its cave...

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      She is a hard task master, isn't she? (Note I'm being gender friendly )

Congrats on the sweet accessory and great looking cook!

Comment

God dammit Troutman because of you ive bought a vortex and the appropriate grate and god knows what else. Now you hit me with this?

😜

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm just getting started my friend. Still looking at a lot more, but the wife has got me muzzled at the moment. I slipped this one thru by using utter guise !!!

• grantgallagher
        grantgallagher commented
        Editing a comment
        Hmmmm. Maybe ill have you call my wife and pose as an mcs therapist...

I've posted this before. This is what I want to set up so I can try to keep up with CaptainMike , Troutman , and the rest of you Santa Maria guys.

Click image for larger version

Name:	SantaMariaSuspension.jpg
Views:	863
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	623372

Comment

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        Well, it's $400 for the 26.75" model. When I saw that I came up with this idea. I figure I can come in well below that even if I splurge for some nice hardware.

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        I still think you should take my idea only make an angle frame. Your idea looks doable but I would be afraid of it being too unstable. But hey, a few bucks for some wire rope and a few pulleys who knows. Patent pending?

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, that was just my initial sketch. I'm thinking I would have to weight the grate. I might construct a square frame with angle iron for the grate.

Hmmm....I've got some scrap metal laying around....and a buddy with a stick welder......just need to buy some cable and a grate!

Comment

Yeah, these are cool! A buddy of mine owns this set up, we use it when ever I go over to his place. Makes some great steaks.

Comment

I have seen the videos also and it really looks interesting. My question is what cuts are you planning to use it for and how often compared to all of your other smokers/grills?

How would you compare ease of use and results of the steak using this vs an SNS with indirect heat then reverse sear?

Comment

• Attjack
            Attjack commented
            Editing a comment
            My guess is that he would be using wood with his Santa Maria and charcoal with his Slow n Sear.

LOVE it! I seen T-Roy use this on his vids. I love my ole Texas Pit. Santa Maria "Style" I'll call it. Stainless swing-away fully adjustable grate. That 1 inch Acme nut gets dang dang hot but it has always worked... I have had the metal and the parts to turn it into a hand crank design. Just have not had the time to drag out the welder and do it but I see some time coming soon now!

Click image for larger version

Name:	santa.jpg
Views:	894
Size:	192.8 KB
ID:	623481

Comment

• Ahumadora
            Ahumadora commented
            Editing a comment
            Just leave it how it is. I have one similar and works great. You can position it half over the heat or fully depending on what you want to do.

Hey Troutman
          have you had any worries with the stability of your kettle when using Santa Maria accessory?
          or any problems burning wood in your kettle?
          my Santa Maria is still in the mail & I was kind of thinking about ( if I need to ) either getting ( or make it myself ) a table built & mount the kettle on it to support this thing better & have bench space as a bonus or may even sell my premium kettle & buy a performer for the solid base

any thoughts?
          cheers

Comment

• Ahumadora
            Ahumadora commented
            Editing a comment
            Personally I would sit a few firebricks in the bottom of the lettle for the fire to burn on. Kettles are only thin sheetmetal and can only take so much direct heat.

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            Actually the fire I build (see pictures) has the small splits on a bed of charcoal all of which is on the fire grate. The actual heart of the fire is well above the bottom and sides of the kettle. You can literally build a fire that may reach as high as 1100* F and not affect the structural integrity, it's how they design them. You may eventually ruin the grate, that's all. Now being cautious and having fire bricks wouldn't hurt but you'd have to factor air flow into it as well.

• dt25dt
            dt25dt commented
            Editing a comment
            I saw a ring down the bbq shop about 6 inches high & looked designed about the same size as the bottom grate in the kettle, I’ll have to enquire about it

That. Is. Slick. Brilliant design.

Comment

Troutman, you wicked, wicked man you! First you hooodwinked your wife, now you have my MCS going again!
            Thos steaks look great though!

Comment

Gabbys grill just arrived in the mail 🙌🏼🙌🏼
              Later today I’ll season & maybe throw a couple steaks on 🤙

Comment

• Troutman
                Troutman commented
                Editing a comment
                Congrats !! She's a sweet little jewel, treat her right !!!

• dt25dt
                dt25dt commented
                Editing a comment
                Cool man
                I fully plan on looking after her 😊

Troutman , now that you are 6 months into ownership, how do you still like it? How often do you use it? How often do you use the kettle without the Santa Corona attachment?

What can you do with the Santa Corona attachment that you can’t do with just the regular kettle?

Where/how do you store it?

Comment

I have always wondered how well these really work over time. It seems a little cumbersome sitting on top of the Weber.

Comment

• Mosca
                  Mosca commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I’m thinking that I got no place to put the lid when I’m using the Santa Corona, and no place to put the Santa Corona when I’m using the lid. And it would always have to be stored somewhere when not in use, because of the chance of rain.

I really like it, but don’t see how to fit it in.

• JeffJ
                  JeffJ commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The concept of creating accessories for the most ubiquitous charcoal cooker in the world makes good business sense. It's an appealing product but since I moved my Performer "up North" to my parents' vacation place I'd have to drop $400 for one for my 26. That is more than the cost of the kettle itself. It's cool but I can't personally justify it.

I have been talking with a guy about a similar concept to that, but, making my grill table to be able to be moved up or down like that.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here