Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Santa Maria Grilling on the Weber Kettle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Santa Maria Grilling on the Weber Kettle

As my MCS list grows I'm finding it increasingly difficult to knock things off of it . Although not of highest priority, I've been eyeing a Santa Maria style grill for over a year now. When CaptainMike got his big score a while back and landed a nice used one, I began looking around for one as well. Unfortunately here in Texas they aren't as popular as they are in Cali, so lamenting on it one day as I was trolling YouTube, I happened upon a video of the accessory that turns your Weber kettle into a Santa Maria grill from an outfit called Gabbys Grills. I've seen it in several other videos and kind of liked it so decided to take another look.

Well, a little bit of a back story, I've been somewhat banded from new cookers by the better half until we expand our deck and patio area. So I show her this video, I said either I get something like that or I go out and spend another $1000 or so on a real one for the patio. Well my ploy worked and I got a solid hmmm from her. Now hmmm can mean many things. I low hmmm means no way Jose, you're not getting that. A high hmmm means well that's kind of interesting I concur. Luckily it was a high hmmm.

Put the order in from Gabby and it took about 4-5 days to get here. Showed up in a big box fully assembled. Gave a grill portion a quick wash and spray with Pam and threw it on my 22" inch kettle. Fit like a glove.....

Click image for larger version

Name:	gabby 01.jpg
Views:	15624
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	622727

Name:	gabby 02.jpg
Views:	9162
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	622728

It cranks up and down and has a simple little holder at the top. Made a fire in the hole with a chimney full of charcoal, some large chunks of mesquite branches and threw on some cowboy rib steaks for the inaugural cook ....

Name:	gabby 03.jpg
Views:	8023
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	622730

Name:	gabby 04.jpg
Views:	8271
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	622731

Name:	gabby 05.jpg
Views:	8560
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	622729

As with its large cousins, this little Santa Maria did not disappoint. The adjustable grilling surface gets you the maximum amount of heat without worrying about burning anything. Of course the results were as expected, I just love open fire cooking and the results. Steaks were amazing. So glad I decided to get this accessory, would love to have the real deal some day.

Name:	gabby 06.jpg
Views:	7831
Size:	160.4 KB
ID:	622732

Pros: Comes fully assembled, obviously is adjustable, simple mechanism, well built should last, fits a 22" kettle perfectly

Cons: Although it cooks pretty much the same, it lacks any real cooking area. Not for those who are looking to cook large meals.

If interested check them out on gabbysgrills.com. They even have a rotisserie accessory to give this add on even more versatility.

Troutman Steve is outta here, I got some steak to eat !!!

Fantastic! Congratulations on your score. I really miss my SM dearly. I'm sure there is another one in my near future.

Comment

Congrats, what a killer accessory! Those steaks look great, can’t wait to see more Troutman creations from this thing!

Comment

That is pretty nice.

Comment

Woo hoo, welcome to the club Steve!! Those were on my list as well, but as you note they are not for serving a crowd. Still, they look well made and you will have a blast cooking on it. I look for every opportunity to work with mine. Something to consider is to cook a bunch of skin-on chicken thighs, basically enough to cover the grill (with room for flipping) to grease that grate up nicely. You'll still need to oil it after most cooks to prevent rust, but that method gets grease all over the entire surface.

Now, about that Santa Maria Grill channel......

Oh, and hooray for High Hmmm's!!
          Last edited by CaptainMike; January 13, 2019, 12:40 PM.

Comment

• CaptainMike
            CaptainMike commented
            Editing a comment
            dt25dt here's a recent post with a pic of my SMG in action with GG's: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...d-criola-salsa

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            Hey Capt. just curious. Did you try laying the Grill Grates on top of the expanded metal before you replaced it? I was thinking of just using mine loose that way to see if it made a difference.

• CaptainMike
            CaptainMike commented
            Editing a comment
            Troutman I did that with my Genesis GG's before I got the new ones for the SMG and it worked fine. Great for searing while also imparting that live fire essence. Because of the conductivity of the GG's it does change the way you handle the grill. I will still use the original grate for things like tri tips and sausages.

Rotisserie? Is this the rotisserie channel?

BTW, that is way cool! And yup, those hmmms have to be in the right direction.

Comment

• tbob4
            tbob4 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hahahahahaha

A most wonderful MCS acquisition to start 2019 off!

I have long eyed this accessory, an appreciate this write up, an await further compellin cooks from ya, to justify addin this to my arsenal of Weber toys!

I've only got 5 22.5" Webers hangin out front, right now; gifted one to a grill-less brother, recently, an took another to my workplace...(Now I've got 2 there, to accomodate th number of mouths to be fed)

Comment

Nice write up. It's always cool to see different accessories in action on The Pit. It's the best way to know if something is what it claims to be.

Comment

Now that looks cool! I've been looking at various Santa Maria style grills too, but 'kit' sure looks handy! I also happen to belong to the rare crowd that doesn't want a gazillion grills in my backyard, and this fits the bill. I could reuse my existing kettle. Sweet! Will have to look into this.

Comment

• CaptainMike
                CaptainMike commented
                Editing a comment
                Does this mean we might have a mover and shaker that can get the SMG channel going?

• FireMan
                FireMan commented
                Editing a comment
                Is this the Santa Maria Grill channel? Huh? Is it? Is it?

• Henrik
                Henrik commented
                Editing a comment
                Nah, it just means I'm gonna build one ;-)

That’s an awesome accessory!!!

Comment

That my friend is freakin awesome! And the food.....does not disappoint! Great score!

Comment

Dang. Thought I had MCS in remission. That accessory has me fired up (so to speak)

Comment

Awesome, Troutman, I've had my eye on those myself. But I think I'm going to make my own for my 26 this year.

Comment

• Polarbear777
                      Polarbear777 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Looks like they make one for the 26.

• JeffJ
                      JeffJ commented
                      Editing a comment
                      They do make one for the 26 but it costs $400.

Hhhmmmm.....

Comment

Nice find! I imagine this would be pretty amazing in the 37" size to fit a Weber Ranch kettle. Looks like the largest they currently make is the 26".

Comment

• Troutman
                        Troutman commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Would probably take a crane to lift the one for the Rancher. My little 22" weighs about 35#.

• JeffJ
                        JeffJ commented
                        Editing a comment
                        The price for the 26 accessory is more than the grill itself - it's around $400. I've been eyeing this accessory for over a year. I'd love it for the 26 but given the price difference I'd probably get it for the 22, if I end up pulling the trigger. Curse that MCS!

• Steve R.
                        Steve R. commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Yeah, I thought about that just as I clicked the "post" button, Troutman. That grill would be the best designed to support the attachment, but it would need its own spot in the garage, and that would be a deal-breaker in my house.

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here