Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help finding a replacement grill grate for Weber Performer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help finding a replacement grill grate for Weber Performer

Need some straight advise on replacing the grill grate for my Weber Performer. I think I want a real 304 stainless steel replacement grate and keep seeing what appear to be knockoffs. I'm not a metallurgist and am confused by the did it or did it not pass the magnet test, ordering what is thought to be 304 solid stainless steel but in reality is 201 stainless steel, or is plated, or not stainless at all. A link to the proven real deal or maybe an AR product review would be just dandy. Thank you in advance for your help.

This is the one I have https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072JX5MY5...mazingribs--20 Note that the 4.5mm $60 one is the 304. It is not cheap, but good stuff rarely is. Dave Parrish also sells a nice one sized just right for use with the Slow 'N Sear, he calls it the EasySpin grate, great for doing the cold grate technique in which you spin the grate to move the meat over to coals to sear, also 304 stainless: https://abcbarbecue.com/product/22-c...mc=amazingribs

Comment

I have the EasySpin and it is fantastic. Much larger hinged grate to more easily dump coals.

Comment

I also have the EasySpin and and it is wonderful

Comment

I will add another recommendation for the Easy Spin. I don't do the cold grate method, but here are the advantages over the stock Weber grate for me:
          1) the hinged grate. It can be removed entirely if you're using the Slow and Sear for a long cook. Or even a reverse sear, then replaced when it's time to sear. It's also larger, so when you flip it up, it exposes the entire SnS, not just the outer portion. If you don't want it to be removable, take some channel-locks and squeeze 'er down until it won't come off.
          2) no removable center circle. I'm sure this contraption has a use for someone, but for me, all it served to do was fall out whenever I lifted the grate to put foil or a water pan on the coal grate. For me, good riddance, I don't miss it.
          3) The spinning.... like I said, I don't use the cold grate method, but there are probably other reasons why the grate can be spun about in the grill.

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            The inner center circle grate on the Performer grill is useful if you do Votex cooking or need to use a wok over direct coals. It does come in handy but I do agree more moving parts can be a pain in the kester.

(that reminds me I'm due for some Vortex wings ..... yummmmmmy)

One place I have found replacement parts is https://www.grillparts.com/

Comment

Think Amazon carries almost all the replacement units, including the ones made by Weber, but I would also strongly second the easy spin grate if can afford a bit more.

Comment

Thanks everyone for feedback. Just what I was looking for.

Comment

Here's an additional source

Weber even offers one, but doubtless lighter duty than Kettle Kommander, or KillaGrilla...still, bout 1/3 th price tag

They don't list what stainless it is made from...

Comment

I believe the replacements Weber sells are plated. If you have a SNS the easy spin grate is a must have in my opinion!

Troutman the vortex wings are the #1 reason I didn’t have to get rid of the 22” kettle when I added the PBC... suddenly that deck space wasn’t as important to my wife and kid! 👍🏻

Comment

I like my Easyspin grate, but think there are some lower cost 304SS options out there. Can’t vouch for their quality though.

Sadly now that I have my Performer Deluxe pimped out with the SNS trifecta and a PartyQ, I found evidence of rust or burn through with a small pin hole in the bottom, and am pondering a new Weber soon. Wish they made a stainless Performer 26”!

Comment

• jfmorris
                      jfmorris commented
                      Editing a comment
                      RustyHaines that is very likely the case. Unfortunately, I am one of those "poor men" who cannot justify the expense of the Summit. I guess I will limp along with my Performer, and when the bowl rusts out, replace the bowl or buy a new Performer.

• Attjack
                      Attjack commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I've had a plan to build a 26" Performer for quite some time. I only like the original SS performer design so that would be the style I would adhere to. However, I just bought a 22" SS Performer so my plan is less likely to happen than it was previously. I'm hoping to build a new covered patio area next year for my charcoal grills. Who knows maybe after I have that the 26" Performer will someday come to fruition.

• jfmorris
                      jfmorris commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Well, here almost 2 years later and I had forgotten about that pin hole in the Performer, so it must not be causing me any issues. I think I only see it if I do a deep cleaning and scrape the inside out, otherwise it’s full of ash or caked on grease.

And yes Attjack - now that you got a Performer, the 26” will come out, haha!

Sounds like the easy spin is the way to go. Wish I’d have known about it a couple years ago when I replaced my Performer grill with a standard Webber replacement.

Comment

Oh no you guys, you aren’t going to get me to start thinkin of gettin an Easy Spin. I have MCS under total control now. ...............Sorta.............absolutely do..............maybe............affirmations, affirmations, affirmations. I am so glad it’s winter. 🕶

Comment

• Steve B
                        Steve B commented
                        Editing a comment
                        You need affirmation? Ok. I will affirm you will own an easy spin this spring. Does this help?

AHHHH! Just ordered an Easy Spin!
                      I'll move the old grate to #2 kettle which doesn't have hinged grate.

Comment

For me..Easy Spin all the way. Best grate ever. Well worth it.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here