Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weber briquettes in the SnS XL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weber briquettes in the SnS XL

I'll be doing my first low and slow with the SnS XL, following Meathead's Last Meal Ribs recipe. I've gone over the ABC instructions of for starting it up (start with 12 lit briquettes for 225) but it looks like they are using Kingsford, which are about 1/2 the size of the Weber briquettes. Any Weber briquette specific advice? I was guestimating starting with 7 or 8? Weather looks to be about 70 for the cook. Thanks!

I did a test in these and liked them. I think I lit 10 briquettes and did them the same as i do KBB.

Comment

Me personally I'd use the same, you can always close or open vents if they're more or less powerful. Chances are they're close.

Comment

Once they get lit, the difference will be small, but I would start with 8 to 10 to light it.

Comment

You will like the Weber briquettes - they burn longer for me when I can find them. I always do the same 10-12 briquettes I would use with kingsford.

Comment

I use Weber briquettes for my kettle low/slow but I light KBB to get it started. Works like a charm. You'll like the Weber briquettes. They burn longer and temps are pretty comparable and they burn a bit more cleanly with a more pleasant woody smell. They are great for low/slow.

Comment

Thanks all for the help and advice. I ended up starting with 9.5 briquettes and it seemed to work pretty well, but ever time I opened the kettle the temp would spike up for a while after closing it. I think that is really just me needing to get used to low and slow on the kettle.

The family and friends were happy, and so was I!

Click image for larger version

Name:	B3350E6A-DF18-4102-BC34-AF82BFC5B82C.jpeg
Views:	210
Size:	144.2 KB
ID:	533210

Comment

• Pow7der
                Pow7der commented
                Editing a comment
                Congrats on the cook. They look delicious and I’m sure they were yummy!

Side note - the temps would spike when you opened the lid due to the large amount oxygen which is/was rapidly introduced to the fire. Once the lid is closed and that oxygen is burned up by the fire and then regulated again the temps come back down to where they were.

• Idleratchet
                Idleratchet commented
                Editing a comment
                Looks awesome! I will be trying weber briquettes this weekend on some short ribs!

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here