Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New S'nS user - temp control info please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New S'nS user - temp control info please

I've been internet surfing looking at material but I suspect this group might know of a good source. Thx

Forgot to add that I'm also a new 22 inch Weber charcoal user. Adjusting vents is all new to me. I've gotten great lighting instructions from ABC but working these vents is proving a little more challenging.

Comment

• Gunderich_1
      Gunderich_1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Let us know what you are looking for and we can get you better info. What temps are you looking to hold etc....

Do you have a specific question that isn't covered on the ABC website?

Comment

What are your goals? Trying to get low and slow level temps?

First thing I would do with a new kettle is to mark the exact settings for fully open vents, half open vents and fully closed. Just eyeball and mark with a sharpie where these points are. If you are trying to get around 225 for a low and slow cook, I would recommend starting with vents around 1/2 open, then add an extra 1/2 pan of water under the grate. Get the coals going and adjust vents from there. Been running 30 minutes and cant get over 200? Try taking the lid off for a couple of minutes and bump open the vents another 1/4, recheck in about 20 mins or so. Running hot? Add a bit more water to the pan and close the vents about a 1/4. I prefer controlling cooks running hot with water so that I don't choke out the coals. If it is windy and I'm running hot even with a full pan of water, I will add a second 1/2 full pan right over the coals. The slow and sear is an amazing tool that can help regulate temps, but it still requires some practice and tweaking on your end.

Comment

Check out ABC's vent control & position tips: https://abcbarbecue.com/weber-kettle-vent-settings/ This, combined with their instructions on various cooking styles/temps, will help you immensely as you learn!

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Bingo

I'm doing low and slow. Got some ribs on right now. 1 question from today's cook:

When I get the pit temp up after lighting and you want to close off the air to bring the temp down a bit, do you give any preference to adjusting the upper or lower vent? I've read conflicting reports.

Comment

• Steve R.
          Steve R. commented
          Editing a comment
          Just follow the ABC directions to a T the first time and adjust for your own setup as needed next time around. That's the only advice I would take for how to use the SnS.

• Buck Flicks
          Buck Flicks commented
          Editing a comment
          I generally leave the bottom vents open about 1/4 or less, and the top vents open 1/2 or a bit more. I don't add any extra water other than in the SnS reservoir.

The amount of coals you have lit will also have a significant impact on your temps. How are you lighting up?

My usual settings are; bottom vents about a 1/4 open and top vents about 1/2. This will maintain temps around 250* on a 22" Weber.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh View Post
          I'm doing low and slow. Got some ribs on right now. 1 question from today's cook:

When I get the pit temp up after lighting and you want to close off the air to bring the temp down a bit, do you give any preference to adjusting the upper or lower vent? I've read conflicting reports.
          I always try to leave the top vents wide open and use the bottom vents/pans of water to regulate and control temp. Only exception is if it is really windy (which it often is). In that case, I will close the top vents no more than halfway .

Comment

Originally posted by CRO View Post
            My usual settings are; bottom vents about a 1/4 open and top vents about 1/2. This will maintain temps around 250* on a 22" Weber.
            Spot on advice. My performer ran @ 236 for 4 hours unattended last week while cooking baby backs.

Comment

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              Got a buddy across the lake from you in Stephens Creek. Small world !!

I guess it's hot in St Lou - I run the bottom vents @ 1/4 open tops and almost always less, and adjust the top to be open enough that not much smoke needs to seep around the lid. I haven't installed a gasket.

Do understand that the lid thermometer is useless other than to give you an indication of radiated temp on the inner lid - not at all what's going on in the convection zone. I've found after screwing around with water that the size of the pan has a lot to do with temp control because a larger or smaller pan radically adjusts the water surface area. 'How Much' water is in the pan has meant less to me than square inches of surface area, so I keep a couple different sizes on hand - sometimes as the weather changes I have to consider changing the pan (really cool morning - blazing hot afternoon) - (smaller pan in the morning - larger in the afternoon).

I've also found that I don't need many coals, in fact I switched to using the smaller Weber charcoal chimney because the larger gave me too many coals even when only half full, and when not using an S'nS' I only use one basket. I'd rather add coals throughout the cook than watch my temp roller coaster.

OK - this didn't exactly answer from an S'nS' perspective, but it translates well. Incoming air from the lower vents fuels the coals. How open and how many coals you use drives temp. The top is to control the smoke and assure you don't get a 'dirty' smoke (i.e. bitter taste). I want lots of grill surface area so I rarely use the S'nS'. If you need to drive temp lower, use an extra water pan. If you need higher temps, add coals / open lower vents.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Weber 2-zone.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	537845
            And yeah, every single time I use it I have to steel-wool the inner thermometer to be able to read it for awhile next time. I need to buy a probe.

Comment

I put a gasket on the lid, it really helps.

Comment

• JGo37
                JGo37 commented
                Editing a comment
                I've got a BBQ Dragon shelf on mine now - and was thinking of adding one to the opposing side (even though the tool hangers are real crap). Do you happen to know if the accessories that hang on the side would still work with a gasket in place?

• Henrik
                Henrik commented
                Editing a comment
                That's what I did too. Very cheap, and works wonders!

JGo37 I can't comment on that as I don't have those, but I do recall a conversation here about that. Maybe Spinaker can over some insight.

Comment

• JGo37
                JGo37 commented
                Editing a comment
                I have the Weber 3-tool hanger, as well as the Dragon shelf - can't tell from the gasket pics if there's an issue.

Here is another approach. Learn to control your fuel to control your heat rather than choking the air off. The latter method causes formaldehyde, creosote, and other nasty stuff to condense on your meat. Leave top vents totally open and your meat will have a better flavor. Just place your coals Minion method style around the bottom like a fuse with a handful of hot ones used to start the chain to burn. Doesn't take long to learn how many to stack end on end to create the heat your want. That is why open pit bbq tastes so much better than anything cooked in a kettle or tank style grill. The old timers had it right I think, but that said, I have owned at lease six Webers in my life and they are mighty fine!

Comment

I prefer to fill the SNS and light it with a fire starter cube in the corner, under the briquettes that are in the corner. That way I can leave the vents much more open. I usually have the bottom vent half open and top vent fully open for about four hours, then the bottom vent 1/4 open and the top vent half open for the rest of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by CRO View Post
                  Yep, this is what I've got going. Actually floated up a bit (it's on hour 6 of some pork butt) and while it popped up to 300 for a bit, it's 259 now and has been around that for most of the cook. Also, I need to make some sauce for my pulled pork dinner. And go buy some beer

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here